Back at School!!

See, I was trying to convice the powers that be that we should keep YD on during landing. Not because of my infinite knowledge of swept wing jets, but only because that was the way it is described in the 737 FOM/FRM I have. However one of the instructors went into a long-winded tirade about how the airplane needed to be straight down the runway, etc. on landing in a crosswind; stuff about side loads, rudder stress, etc. My argument was for the casting gear, and that if there isn't enough rudder then land in a slight crab. Also, putting in too much crosswind correction in a 737 would mean the possibility of smashing down with one of the engines. Not much room there.

Good thread. Now I have backup in my case.
grin.gif

Aside: I jumpseated on a flight in a Saab when the AP was MEL'd, therefore no YD either. Quite a ride with the swinging tail in some turbulence...

Aside 2: Looking at the responses to that NBAA Air Mail, some of the respondents never heard of that YD thing. I'm curious where this guy came up with that.

Just for grins, I landed a 737 in a slight crab in Orlando and it did just fine.

However, I don't think the "Next generation" (-600 -700 -800 -900) does that.

"Castering" main landing gear means that they'll turn to a small degree.

Think of castering landing gear like the way the front wheels of a grocery store cart work.

[ QUOTE ]
Think of castering landing gear like the way the front wheels of a grocery store cart work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean they don't.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain what casting gear is ?

[/ QUOTE ]
teh Grumman tiger, and the Glasair both use the castering wheel. the lear does as well, if you forget to turn on the nose wheel steering.. D'oh...

Back