B787 Fire On Ground at BOS

This is bad news. I sure hate they are having the amount of issues that they are. Hopefully they can get them sorted out in a relatively short amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if they didn't try to outsource all of the various components and serve as a simple "final assembly plant" in the US would the quality control be any different?

I wonder if they didn't try to outsource all of the various components and serve as a simple "final assembly plant" in the US would the quality control be any different?

Exactly. Sheesh, check this out. This doesn't include where the innards were manufactured. Why on earth would they outsource the fuselage to 4 different countries. It really makes zero sense to me considering the differences in some metric systems. I dunno, good luck Boeing.

104664-Boeing_787_DreamLiner-1.gif

Exactly. Sheesh, check this out. This doesn't include where the innards were manufactured. Why on earth would they outsource the fuselage to 4 different countries. It really makes zero sense to me considering the differences in some metric systems. I dunno, good luck Boeing.
Speaking strictly from a world trade perspective, Airbus was able to build all their airplanes with wildly high amounts of government subsides which Boeing is dissallowed from using. There are some subsides from taxes provided by the US gov and state governments, however those equal ~1/50 of the French/EADS/EU subsides.

Great news is, nearly every other country allows subsides like Airbus used to allow (some would argue still does), so outsource it to Japan or whatever country will give you the best deal and beat Airbus at it's own game. Would have worked too if Boeing had spent more time on quality control and less on screwing their own unions over. Ooops was that out loud. Let's just blame it all on shaggy and scooby, they were in charge of QC.

I'd really like to see a breakdown of the shipping costs to go with the color diagram a few posts above that SeanD posted.

Every time I've connected through Nagoya I've seen the Dreamlifter sitting there, last time got to watch it swallow up a wing. That's got to be incredibly expensive, and that's just one component.

I'm curious to see a similar diagram for the 777, 757/767, and 747 though too. I wonder if more of them were outsourced than I ever realized, or this 787 really is way way more of a "final assembly" jet. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is not an exaggeration at all though.

Saw that.

On the outsourcing, Japan has been making lithium batteries for a long time now. Even consumer batteries tend to be "processed in Japan Made in China" or some such. Doubtful Boeing could have found someone in the US to make them as well as the Japanese. Pretty much anything electronic the Japanese have us beat on. There is a reason the FAA doesn't want even consumer lithium batteries stored in the bottom of the plane. This is also why I remove the battery from my laptop when sitting down for an extended time period.

The news was calling the 787 the possible largest lemon in history tonight, have to admit I laughed at that thought. Routes like SEA/SJC for ANA and BOS/HEL for JAL depend entirely on the 787. I'd imagine the operators at this point are going to be dipping into huge amounts of angry stranded pax and lost revenue if the ban isn't lifted soon. They can only sub so many other aircraft types on so many daily routes. Nightmare situation for Boeing.

If only the media gave half a blank about the eclipse as they do about this 787. Anyway, now the FAA will certification serious again, instead of ignoring it because it doesn't make big enough headlines.

Continuing proof, the feds are simply a reactionary group being led by a leash of public opinion. Oh what a joke.

If only the media gave half a blank about the eclipse as they do about this 787. Anyway, now the FAA will certification serious again, instead of ignoring it because it doesn't make big enough headlines.

Continuing proof, the feds are simply a reactionary group being led by a leash of public opinion. Oh what a joke.

I think part of the issue is the FAA reports to Congress.

I think part of the issue is the FAA reports to Congress.
It could be that top FAA people are political appointments too. It's too much to ask to just have a continuous professional group of higher level employees hu? If only they'd let me be dictator.

Back