B-17 Crash / Hartford Ct (BDL closed)

Uh 75 year old capt, 71 year old FO with 21 hours on type and a 23 year old chief pilot/examiner to cover it all? WOW

@Inverted ?

There's a 20 something year old pilot on this forum with PIC checkouts in just about every flying WWII bomber and trainer. I think he's one of those that humbly claim "right place at the right time"; but we all know it's more of like @MikeD 's signature, he's the real deal.

There's a 20 something year old pilot on this forum with PIC checkouts in just about every flying WWII bomber and trainer. I think he's one of those that humbly claim "right place at the right time"; but we all know it's more of like @MikeD 's signature, he's the real deal.
I don’t think it’s the flying part anyone is worried about.
It’s possible there are 23 year olds with the maturity and experience to be chief pilot of an operation like that, but they’re few and far between and they certainly don’t let their DOM get away with straight up not doing ignitions system maintenance.

It seems crazy right? Who do you think flew these contraptions when they were new? Must've been a bunch of hardasses.
Yes and look at the non combat accident rate back then. Total War like that allows risks that are otherwise unacceptable in peace....and they were indeed badasses, especially considering many flew with FAR fewer hours straight into the teeth of the enemy. Needless to say my questioning was more a statement of awe at how someone so young had that much flight time, and that level of depth in terms of experience in these birds.

Yea it really was a genuine curiosity, and an absolute moment of “wow what id give to have that experience”. I certainly know some guys get lucky, and others are the real deal....but that just kinda blew me away. Not a dig at that CP, feels bad considering this is a huge thing he has had placed on his shoulders, rightfully or not.

He also wasn’t flying. So doesnt seem like his aimanship was at fault, but rather his leadership, which is mainly why i was skeptical of his company position given his age.

He also wasn’t flying. So doesnt seem like his aimanship was at fault, but rather his leadership, which is mainly why i was skeptical of his company position given his age.

Like most chief pilot positions, his hands were tied by higher ups, that’s all I will say.

He did not surrender anything.

First time seeing this in the airmen’s database
C95C6DAB-6B69-45E0-B99C-2EA1AFACB294.png

his hands were tied by higher ups
Then he should have resigned if things didn’t look right. Sometimes having the wisdom to say “no” is invaluable.

First time seeing this in the airmen’s database
View attachment 56772

Then he should have resigned if things didn’t look right. Sometimes having the wisdom to say “no” is invaluable.
The certificate issue has nothing to do with his role as CP for Collings. I assure you he very much has his certs and is actively flying jets. Without getting too much into the weeds, I believe it was the Orlando FSDO, went after a couple dozen pilots for giving dual in limited category aircraft (not illegal). Our TF-51 as well as a few other fighters in the area are limited category. The FSFO asked every pilot that instructed in our Mustang, as well as a P-40 not related to Collings, to surrender certificates. That was obviously congested and appealed and during that process, the licenses do not have to be surrendered. Every pilot involved has the same thing on their airman database. I will attach another pilots database info with the same thing. It is related to flying limited category fighters as instructors giving dual. No certificate action has been taken as a result of 909s crash.

To your last comment, I don’t disagree. But at this point, it’s coulda woulda shoulda...
BE00B73B-7714-4CB3-B2DD-155BC6834B23.jpeg

The certificate issue has nothing to do with his role as CP for Collings. I assure you he very much has his certs and is actively flying jets. Without getting too much into the weeds, I believe it was the Orlando FSDO, went after a couple dozen pilots for giving dual in limited category aircraft (not illegal). Our TF-51 as well as a few other fighters in the area are limited category. The FSFO asked every pilot that instructed in our Mustang, as well as a P-40 not related to Collings, to surrender certificates. That was obviously congested and appealed and during that process, the licenses do not have to be surrendered. Every pilot involved has the same thing on their airman database. I will attach another pilots database info with the same thing. It is related to flying limited category fighters as instructors giving dual. No certificate action has been taken as a result of 909s crash.

To your last comment, I don’t disagree. But at this point, it’s coulda woulda shoulda...View attachment 56773
Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I don’t know the dude personally but from an outside perspective having a 23 year CP is not common and met with skepticism as far as effectiveness. Hope the organization can grow from the accident and improve safety.

Im glad he still kept his certs then, regardless of how “lucky” someone is, i feel like he must of had some real skill to do that much so quickly. Maybe one day ill save enough to fly a warbird and cross his path, until then I hope he can find some peace in what Im sure will be a big mental hurdle for a while.

Sorry if this is the wrong place but seems like the right people are in it, if I wanted to fly and/or get some training in something like a P-51 where would be the place to go?

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I don’t know the dude personally but from an outside perspective having a 23 year CP is not common and met with skepticism as far as effectiveness. Hope the organization can grow from the accident and improve safety.

According to his LinkedIn, he attained his chief pilot position at the age of 19. It looks like he was flying right seat in warbirds at the age of 17.

Yeah, that's not typical unless you've won the socioeconomic genetic lottery.

In my field, some of the smartest people I've met were between the ages of 23-27. Unfortunately, emotional maturity growth doesn't always keep pace with raw intelligence.

Sorry if this is the wrong place but seems like the right people are in it, if I wanted to fly and/or get some training in something like a P-51 where would be the place to go?

Stallion 51 is the gold standard for P-51 instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back