Aviation School or college

Boolah808

I have a question in regards to schooling. I am looking to become an airline pilot. I just got out of active duty in the navy and currently working on my fixed wing private pilot license. I am concerned on which route I should take for the commercial license and degree options. Should i go to an aviation flight school and just obtain my ratings and what not, then work as a cfi while attending college to get my degree? Or find a community college that offers aviation certs and get my degree at the same time? If community college is best, does anyone know good community colleges that offer what im looking for? Looking more towards the west coast U.S. Please, ive been pondering on this for a few months now. Thanks

Last edited:
Aviator College is where I went and what I would recommend. You can get an associates's degree with all the flight ratings
so you can begin working as a CFI. Then you could always finish the bachelors at a state college or online.

I have a question in regards to schooling. I am looking to become an airline pilot. I just got out of active duty in the navy and currently working on my fixed wing private pilot license. I am concerned on which route I should take for the commercial license and degree options. Should i go to an aviation flight school and just obtain my ratings and what not, then work as a cfi while attending college to get my degree? Or find a community college that offers aviation certs and get my degree at the same time? If community college is best, does anyone know good community colleges that offer what im looking for? Looking more towards the west coast U.S. Please, ive been pondering on this for a few months now. Thanks
If you qualify for the post 9/11 GI bill you should go to a va approved collegiate flight program and get it paid for with your VA benefits. There are lots of good options out there!
Thanks!

I don't know much about the GI bill but find a way to use that so you come out the other side with a 4 year degree and your ratings with as little debt as possible. I wouldn't worry about an aviation school as much as just get your degree and ratings on the side.

By all means take full advantage of the GI Bill, but that aside I would get a non-Aviation related degree for a couple reasons.

1) Higher education is more than checking a box to get hired. You learn critical thinking and become more well rounded. Getting a degree in a different field exposes you to more and airlines don’t care whether it’s a bachelor in Computer Science, Literature, or Aviation Management.

2) You can have a marketable skill/degree in case you lose your medical, get out of aviation, or want to supplement your income.

I went to community college for the core curriculum then a state university for my degree classes (University of CA has a program where you can be assured admissions after getting a certain GPA in community college- CA residents only). I had looked into aviation colleges but they would have cost many multipliers of what I paid for a great education.

Picking a 141 school while in college may be the way to go, but I’m not sure how the GI Bill would work allocating funds between the two.

Can you use the GI bill for a school and ratings on the side? I've never heard of that situation. I'd find a college you can utilize that GI bill to pay for both or as much lump sum as you can and do that route. Whatever costs the least amount of money.

Since you have the GI Bill, I wouldn't mess around with an associates or trying to get a degree while busy instructing or working at an airline. Don't make it harder than it needs to be!

You should get your ratings and bachelors degree now. Try to maximize your benefits.

I went to UND on the GI Bill and paid nearly $0 for everything. I actually ended up making money due to the monthly housing allowance and low cost of living in ND.

It far and away made the most financial sense for me. I know you preferred the west coast, but I'd recommend you look into this as well.

You'll also qualify for a regional at 1000 hrs instead of 1500, which diminishes some concerns about this path taking longer.

Since you have the GI Bill, I wouldn't mess around with an associates or trying to get a degree while busy instructing or working at an airline. Don't make it harder than it needs to be!

You should get your ratings and bachelors degree now. Try to maximize your benefits.

I went to UND on the GI Bill and paid nearly $0 for everything. I actually ended up making money due to the monthly housing allowance and low cost of living in ND.

It far and away made the most financial sense for me. I know you preferred the west coast, but I'd recommend you look into this as well.

You'll also qualify for a regional at 1000 hrs instead of 1500, which diminishes some concerns about this path taking longer.

That is a good point. I don’t know much about the GI Bill that that does change the calculus for the OP. I’d assume you can combine the aviation degree with a minor in something else anyway.

Back