Aviation Consumer: Cirrus Safety Record Just Average

Technology is what it is, a great addendum to a healthy skill set. CAPS has killed more folks than it has saved. At the end of the day it's the PIC's call on what his/her capabilities are or are not. God/Allah/Buddah or the Great Pumkin help you if you get behind the airplane IMC without the ability to know your limitations.
I fly Cirri/Columbi and I approve this message.

Technology is what it is, a great addendum to a healthy skill set. CAPS has killed more folks than it has saved. At the end of the day it's the PIC's call on what his/her capabilities are or are not. God/Allah/Buddah or the Great Pumkin help you if you get behind the airplane IMC without the ability to know your limitations.
I fly Cirri/Columbi and I approve this message.

I am in no way denying that it's true, but do you have a source on your statement about CAPS? I would love to see the study/paper/whatever on that.

This might be changing the topic a little, but for the people who who have transitioned into the Cirrus, how difficult did you find it?

I am in no way denying that it's true, but do you have a source on your statement about CAPS? I would love to see the study/paper/whatever on that.
I don't have the source either, but a lot of writers (outside AOPA cheerleader magazine) have taken a serious look at the beginning years of accidents in a cirrus vs current and beginning years of other similar models and it's not uncommon for writers to blame the chute for bad pilot decision making. Of course that's a little like blaming a gun for the murder spree in the mall.

I have to apologize for the insinuation that the actual use of the CAPS has killed more than it has saved. According to the COPA, there have been numerous instances in which the chute was deployed and the occupants survived.
The point I was going for was that the majority of the pilots that fly Cirri use good judgement and know the limitations of both themselves and the airplane. There are those that have gotten themselves into situations that they would not have ventured into had the airplane not had a "OH CRAP" handle.

I have to apologize for the insinuation that the actual use of the CAPS has killed more than it has saved. According to the COPA, there have been numerous instances in which the chute was deployed and the occupants survived.
The point I was going for was that the majority of the pilots that fly Cirri use good judgement and know the limitations of both themselves and the airplane. There are those that have gotten themselves into situations that they would not have ventured into had the airplane not had a "OH CRAP" handle.

Actually according to COPA, the chute has a better chance to save you if you actually use it than a dead stick landing in a field. They claim that the reason the facility rate is so high is because of all the negative information you find on the net may cause pilots to not pull the chute at all cost. God forbid you ever show yourself on an internet forum if you ever pulled a chute...

Over 1200 hours in the Cirrus, and its just another option for me. Not the only option but Im ready to use last resort, such as if the wings come off.

The Cirrus flies just like any other plane and has its mission. Great Aircraft for what it does.

Got ya. I understand the theory that the option to pull the handle leads people to making poorer choices than they otherwise would have. I have a hard time buying someone selling hard statistics on "x many people have died as a DIRECT RESULT of the parachute being available in the plane leading to bad decisions."

My idea was superior. Champs, Cubs, Luscombe's or Porterfields for primary is the only way.
Agreed, and I've done a fair bit of instructing in a pair of Champs, a Cub, and a Cessna 140. The student should also be required to hand-prop the airplane. It builds character. ;)

Teaching people in an airplane without an electrical system was actually really nice. It strips away almost everything except actually flying the airplane. Which is what they should know how to do before they get to play with anything electronic...

Agreed, and I've done a fair bit of instructing in a pair of Champs, a Cub, and a Cessna 140. The student should also be required to hand-prop the airplane. It builds character. ;)

Teaching people in an airplane without an electrical system was actually really nice. It strips away almost everything except actually flying the airplane. Which is what they should know how to do before they get to play with anything electronic...

Pete2800 is among my new hero's!

I agree with your post a million-fold.

Back