AVIAT 100 paper

LOL WUT.

flight plan to ckn? how about look out the window and go that way???

5 knot taxi speed? ok yes i see the safety side of the idea, but how about we teach GOOD DECISION MAKING and drill it into peoples head that you need to be SAFE and ALERT on the ramp and areas where people may be moving about, but christ... i dont wanna spend .5 taxiing to 35L!! once youre on the straightaway, let er rip!

and yes, doing flying away from the UND-homeland was eye opening in a very rapid fashion.

the rest of the world operates fairly differently than UND.

It's required to put in the flight plan into the GPS if anyone goes up in the pattern now. We wouldn't want anyone to get confused while on downwind. :sarcasm:

They should really open up 35R soon. You know it ain't gonna be a good day when your number 9 for takeoff with 5 other people on downwind. Especially in a Seminole.

It's required to put in the flight plan into the GPS if anyone goes up in the pattern now. We wouldn't want anyone to get confused while on downwind. :sarcasm:

They should really open up 35R soon. You know it ain't gonna be a good day when your number 9 for takeoff with 5 other people on downwind. Especially in a Seminole.
as soon as they pave the new rwy that will happen. they haven't even started to pave yet

I should rephrase that i guess. I heard they are requiring people to put their route of flight in the GPS and something about not manually setting frequencies into the G1000's

Yes that is correct. We have to input the flight plan first (even if we are in the pattern) and select the frquencies from a list. Its pretty pathetic if you ask me. I guess they dont want to wear out the knobs on the new G1000 dispalys or something.

Yes that is correct. We have to input the flight plan first (even if we are in the pattern) and select the frquencies from a list. Its pretty pathetic if you ask me. I guess they dont want to wear out the knobs on the new G1000 dispalys or something.
reason is there were too many students using improper frequencies at other airports. this is supposed to prevent AFAIK. i would think proper use of the AFD would.......

It must suck to doing multi right now with the huge lines for take off. Spending about 50-75 of not more dollars just to taxi out to the runway is horrible.

It must suck to doing multi right now with the huge lines for take off. Spending about 50-75 of not more dollars just to taxi out to the runway is horrible.

But once we get into the air...woohooo! :nana2:

We overtook 2 warriors on our way back from Iowa last Saturday. 205 Kt GS, we passed them like they weren't moving. It was awesome. Next weekend we gonna head to Billings. :nana2: Gotta love the speed. We were getting 156 Kt GS single engine, we actually flew half the flight from Iowa single engine to make sure we get enough time, and before you ask we shut off the left engine. ;)

reason is there were too many students using improper frequencies at other airports. this is supposed to prevent AFAIK. i would think proper use of the AFD would.......

um. if people cant input the correct freq they have no business being in the plane by themselves, or having a license at all.

seriously. F THAT. im GLAD im not flying around here anymore because someone is going to get hurt or killed with the level of stupidity going on.

Seems to me that UND is turning into one of those big schools that only care about image now. Newest fleet, newest avionics, etc. and the student will be paying for it. I understand UND is a business, and they are trying to make money, but at some point nobody will be able to afford it anymore. I have no idea what the deal is with the contract training thats going on up there, but I guess it's just another way to make money. What's wrong with getting your Private in an old Warrior? You don't need no fancy glass cockpit.

Seems to me that UND is turning into one of those big schools that only care about image now. Newest fleet, newest avionics, etc. and the student will be paying for it. I understand UND is a business, and they are trying to make money, but at some point nobody will be able to afford it anymore. I have no idea what the deal is with the contract training thats going on up there, but I guess it's just another way to make money. What's wrong with getting your Private in an old Warrior? You don't need no fancy glass cockpit.
just a guess, but a warrior with 10,000 hours on it has a few problems; mx costs go up the older/more hours are on the plane. 2 i think at 13,000 the wings need to be rebuilt (from what i recall from the type data sheet).

they only went to glass because it actually cost more money to get a 6 pack, and now that isn't even an option any more

I'm just curious but are instructors more anal about airspeed and altitude now with the glass? I can see this scenario... "Jimmy whats Vy." Oh it's 79 "Then why are you at 80, This is UND not riddle Jimmy you need to fly 79" Haha no I'm jk but it sounds funny.

Disclaimer i don't know if 79 is Vy in a Warrior or 172 or whatever. Too many number rolling around. If someone posts the real Vy they get 2 cool points knocked off

I'm just curious but are instructors more anal about airspeed and altitude now with the glass? I can see this scenario... "Jimmy whats Vy." Oh it's 79 "Then why are you at 80, This is UND not riddle Jimmy you need to fly 79" Haha no I'm jk but it sounds funny.

Disclaimer i don't know if 79 is Vy in a Warrior or 172 or whatever. Too many number rolling around. If someone posts the real Vy they get 2 cool points knocked off
no, but it is easier to see if standards are being held for instruments.

no, but it is easier to see if standards are being held for instruments.

The issue is that too many focus on the PTS and not competence. Thats why UND doesn't allow students to dial in frequencies now. As long as they can keep it within 10, 10 &100 they are good.

Hey guys its my first post.

Sounds like they want you to keep it within 10, 10, 100. Isn't it ok to let it go outside those tolerances, as long as you notice it in a reasonable time and correct it?

Hey guys its my first post.
Isn't it ok to let it go outside those tolerances, as long as you notice it in a reasonable time and correct it?

Absolutely not. I get whipped and and belittled by my instructor whenever Im 10 feet off.

The issue is that too many focus on the PTS and not competence. Thats why UND doesn't allow students to dial in frequencies now. As long as they can keep it within 10, 10 &100 they are good.
yup, which is why my students typically take a few more hours between briefs and flights, because i am working towards competence, not just training to pass a checkride.

Back