Average pay of line service job??

are you talking...luggage/ramp agent type stuff? If so, here in MSP the charter's pay $9-$10. Mesabe starts about $9.50.

I worked line service at Santa Monica airport for their biggest FBO and only made $8.50 per hour. If you didn't have your PPL, you only made $8.00. Supervisor's made around $11 or $12. With tips my $8.50 averaged out to about $10 per hour.

Ha......I tried all the places at the local airport here and all but one told me you have to be at least 18 to work there...

The only place that hires under 18 year olds doesn't need anyone at the moment....
frown.gif

8.50 I work for a national FBO corp. Thats what everyone starts at and there hasn't been a pay raise in like 2 years.

Tips are feast or famine. Today I made $25. Yesterday I dont think I made enough for a Coke.

You know I was at Bay Air at Albert Whitted the other day and asked about you. I said, "You have a lineman or employee who is also working on his ratings." I was told by the young lady that none of their employees are pilots.

Perhaps you work at another airport?

They're also a fantastic network opportunity.

My pal Joe who is a furloughed Delta pilot got a job working line service in Cincinnati, and ended up scoring a pretty sweet Falcon corporate gig.

[ QUOTE ]
They're also a fantastic network opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even have to be a social butterfly and the networking is always there.
I haven't worked there in about 7months and occasionally stop by the FBO to visit friends, and the pilots still know/respect me and act like I never left.

I know its a great opportunity, and I would hate to have to pass it up, but I gotta pay the bills!!

[ QUOTE ]
I know its a great opportunity, and I would hate to have to pass it up, but I gotta pay the bills!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, that's why I left. Still trying to network though through the connections I already have.
I guess there was an even tradeoff, now I have money for training but its hard to network. At the FBO I had no money for training but made a ton of contacts.

I work for AirBP (fueler) at DFW, we are a "into-plane service". They start out at 10.50. Alot of guys complain about the pay, but I really enjoy being around aircraft. (delta mainline and DCI) Im alway's looking out for doug!!!!!

JetAMaster

[ QUOTE ]
You know I was at Bay Air at Albert Whitted the other day and asked about you. I said, "You have a lineman or employee who is also working on his ratings." I was told by the young lady that none of their employees are pilots.

Perhaps you work at another airport?

[/ QUOTE ]
JT - close, but wrong airport.
smile.gif

Just across the Bay on the other side of MacDill AFB. I'm at Peter O. Knight (TPF)... and I only work the line on Sundays. I do my "real job" during the week.

Drop me a PM the next time you're heading this way. I promise. I'll be good.
wink.gif

Ah! Peter O'Knight, ok. That runway is pretty short for the Navajo, so I don't get over there much. The sailboat masts freak me out, too.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah! Peter O'Knight, ok. That runway is pretty short for the Navajo,

[/ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
Wha.....??????

We have Navajo Chieftains, King Airs, a Citation, Cheynne's, a Palatus, Caravans, TBM's, Cessna 402's/414's .... you name it... come in there every day. You can do it, man!
laugh.gif

480_Peter_O_Overhead.jpg

Runway Information
Runway 3/21
Dimensions: 3405 x 100 ft.

Runway 17/35
Dimensions: 2688 x 75 ft.

17/35 is only occasionally used (morso in the "winter"), but the bigger planes pretty much stick to 3/21.

At Signature AUS, I was started out at $8.25 and we got a .75 cent raise every three months until we'd been there 12 months, at which point we got a small annual raise or a promotion to supervisor.

I didn't say I didn't go there, I just don't like flying in and out of there with the Chieftan. I am not a "bold" pilot at all!

That's okay, chicken-boy....
wink.gif

But as you can see by the photo above... the sailboats are not aligned with the runways.

And, BTW.... several thousand pilots fly in and out of there each year without incident.... with skill levels ranging from "Student Pilot" to a former 747 driver and everything in between.

So, I guess we're all "bold", huh?
wink.gif
Or is it that you're just afraid of the unknown??
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

(I kid... I'm a kidder. NOT meant to be harsh in any manner. Note the
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
)

R2F

Seriously - it's really a non-issue. Fly in sometime and I'll buy ya a burger... or chicken sammich... but, that'd be canibalism, wouldn't it??
grin.gif

Chicken-boy is appropriate. I intend to die in bed, not losing an engine on take off and plowing in to a freighter in Tampa Bay.

I will fly in to Peter O'Knight, but not with a heavy airplane on a hot day. I like the airport but I prefer to use the Baron for that one
smile.gif

Back