AVEF IFR Lost Comms

GADD45B

A long nagging question I've had with the "AVEF" route to fly following lost COMMS in IMC is when you would ever be in a situation where the "F - Filed" would apply. When are you ever not assigned, vectored or given "expect x,y,z"? When you get your initial clearance before takeoff, you are Assigned that route even if it is "as filed". Under what circumstance would the "filed" route apply? Thanks!!

When issued an IFR cruise clearance by ATC “N12L, cleared cruise 10,000” and losing comms. Now, you follow your filed route, altitudes MEA to your cruise cleared altitude, and the clearance automatically gave you clearance for an instrument approach at destination anyway, apart from being NORDO. If, before those times, you break out VFR and can remain that way to a reasonable airport, do so.

When issued an IFR cruise clearance by ATC “N12L, cleared cruise 10,000” and losing comms. Now, you follow your filed route, altitudes MEA to your cruise cleared altitude, and the clearance automatically gave you clearance for an instrument approach at destination anyway, apart from being NORDO. If, before those times, you break out VFR and can remain that way to a reasonable airport, do so.
I’ve never received a cruise clearance, although there are times when I might have asked for one. Have you ever been given one without asking for it?

I’ve never received a cruise clearance, although there are times when I might have asked for one. Have you ever been given one without asking for it?

Yes. Often back in the day when I flew night cargo in the Chief and Caravan, in areas of ZAB and ZLC centers that were in the middle of nowhere and the controller(s) were only working me on the airways.

A long nagging question I've had with the "AVEF" route to fly following lost COMMS in IMC is when you would ever be in a situation where the "F - Filed" would apply. When are you ever not assigned, vectored or given "expect x,y,z"? When you get your initial clearance before takeoff, you are Assigned that route even if it is "as filed". Under what circumstance would the "filed" route apply? Thanks!!

This would also apply during en route and STAR. Hypothetically you're filed for the ABCD STAR into destination, and received that "as filed" before departure, but due to lost coms you missed the memo that the airport switched around and now on the ZYXW arrival. So press on with th4 ABCD arrival.

Another example would be the Wilkes-Barre (LVZ) arrival to TEB. It ends at the Stillwater VOR (STW) and would normally be on vectors by this point, however if you were NORDO you'd go STW D-> KTEB.

Back