Auxiliary Studies

My recommendation for someone in that boat would be to read the Kershner Instrument Rating Handbook. It covers airspace, ATC procedures, holds, etc., in a format that is actually conducive to reading. It is more of a textbook than a reference material so it won't put you to sleep after half an hour. Yes, it is more from a pilot's point of view, but the basics apply to both pilots and ATC, so its a good start. At a minimum, it will familiarize someone with the airspace system and will probably ease your understanding of the 7110.65.
Thanks for the info. I will check this book out. I have the 7110.65 but cannot get through much of it at a time because I have no idea what is going on. I also plane of familiarizing myself with aircraft identification.

dummies.jpg

LawnGnome, I just have to ask. What did you get arrested for? Did you violate a lawn deer, or are you one of those sock stealing gnomes at night? :)

Also, and more to the point, what parts of the .65 should center guys focus most of their time on?

Thanks

LawnGnome, I just have to ask. What did you get arrested for? Did you violate a lawn deer, or are you one of those sock stealing gnomes at night? :)

Also, and more to the point, what parts of the .65 should center guys focus most of their time on?

Thanks

I was an "under pants" gnome and got arrested for taking too many under pants....anyways, I'm on the way to work now..so let me respond to the rest of your post once I'm there!

Start with chapter two and get it down...that you will need to know forever...it applies to every atc job you can be assigned so make sure you know that very well....I'll try to pick apart other areas of the .65 later for different people.

KCCR is a nice airport, I did my Instrument check ride approaches into there. I hate the hill to the southeast. KAPO and kSTS are not bad, I enjoyed flying out of there. And all of those are Delta airspace, no up/down.

I would say to get a FAR/AIM, but controllers do not fly by this book only Pilots. Controllers use point 65. But the AIM is a translation of the FAR's for pilots and explains everything in greater detail. Then for pilots is "Everything Explained", why ATC does stuff, why pilots fly or do specific things. REMEMBER these are mainly for pilots, I say this because I have read them and many other books and they have helped me out a lot. Oh, I'm a Pilot

Oh, I'm a Pilot

yeah thanks I didn't pick that up when you said you did instrument approaches @ CCR:D

if you ever find yourself out there again in a small plane head NE to antioch and then N into the big "practice area" over Sonoma county.. there's a great river you can yank & bank along @ 500 AGL.. Travis doesn't mind if you goof around there as long as you tell 'em you're doing engine failure and stall exercises. :rawk:

Back