ATR down in Taipei

B8-NDJNIAAEdvyJ.jpg

Pretty impressive Vmc roll. At least they kept it sort of right side up. Hoping for the best for the recovery and rescue.

Wow. It's unbelievable there are survivors looking at those pictures. Best wishes to them.

And the wing hit the van driving down the road. That's getting to the absurdity level of the poor guys who died in the sim in ICT. "I was just driving down the road and an airplane wing sliced through the front of my van, missing me by a foot."

Details from local news:

17 rescued so far out of 53 pax + 5 crew. Still people on board.

ATR-72-600, less than a year old

Two pilots (Captain, 4200 hours and FO, 6300 hours) + check airman (16000 hours) were on board.

Second crash for TransAsia in just 7 months. Looks like accidents happen in lots for Asian carriers these days. No bueno!

Second TransAsia ATR-72 crash in less than 12 months(I'd like to say July 14 off hand). The other one crashed in a storm landing in Taiwan. The crash video...I can't imagine being the family or friend of anyone on board(or in the struck vehicle) and seeing that. I'm so sorry for those people.

Last edited:
I can't imagine being the family or friend of anyone on board(or in the struck vehicle) and seeing that. I'm so sorry for those people.

That is exactly my motivation to do the absolute best I can every single day. There is nothing I want more than to never have my family have to have to watch something like that and then heard my name dragged through the mud.

That is some pretty high res video for a dash cam. It seems the left engine was not running. The body count has risen to 23. RIP. Its been a terrible 12 months for the Asian commercial aviation industry.

Back