ATP written test prep

Using Sheppard Air now for the ATP. I must say, having used Gleim software in the past, that this is like trying to learn the matrix with the memory aid. Frustrating as hell for me. Also, when studying you don't click on your answer choice, you pick an answer and reveal the correct one. No way to keep track of right and wrong except to mark the question for later study.

Much prefer Gleim's performance tracking feature.

If their question data base is updated frequently though then that is a plus for Sheppard.

Must embrace the differences (i.e. the suck) and just get it over with though.

Using Sheppard Air now for the ATP. I must say, having used Gleim software in the past, that this is like trying to learn the matrix with the memory aid. Frustrating as hell for me. Also, when studying you don't click on your answer choice, you pick an answer and reveal the correct one. No way to keep track of right and wrong except to mark the question for later study.

Much prefer Gleim's performance tracking feature.

If their question data base is updated frequently though then that is a plus for Sheppard.

Must embrace the differences (i.e. the suck) and just get it over with though.

You should have read the instructions first. If you follow their method to the T you will pass no questions asked.

I used ATP years ago for the written. I was out late the night before with friends, showed up, used the prep for about 2 hours and took the test in about 25 minutes. Passed. No studying before hand. For me, it was worth paying the money to get the archaic test out of the way.

I have yet to see a score below 83% from students with no prior studying using ATP's written prep and I have probably proctored about 3 dozen now.

You should have read the instructions first. If you follow their method to the T you will pass no questions asked.

Haven't taken the test yet. I did read the instructions and I am following it to a "T", and I'm sure I will pass no questions asked. I was commenting on the fact that I think their study method doesn't jive with me. I am aware that I am probably the only person in the world it seems that doesn't like it.

I was also just saying that I think the actual software itself could be done better, and that may be what is really bothering me about it.

To each their own...

i used the ASA ATP cd and it worked out well.... a little study questions time, a little practice test time, and passed the actual the first go round....

Yes and no, have used sheppard air for cfii and well worth it with latest questions and may be cheaper.

At atp its nothing but sitting in front of a computer for eight hour and than taking the test if have consistent passing scores. Have talked to few pilots and recommended to buy a gleim book and study that way. It will
save money too.

Did you buy the CFII course or did you use the Instrument prep course? Are they different or the same?

I didn't price haggle on this one. Just shelled out for Sheppardair. $150 - $300 is amazing compared to what it will be after July 31st. I've heard estimates anywhere from $10,000 up to $15,000. 30 hours of classroom, 6 hours level C sim, and another 4 hours in a lower level sim.That's just to qualify to take the written. I was at Flight Safety last week and they found the requirements had been modified...Again! Just a rumor from the head of the training department there, but apparently the regs have been left in the hands if a 24 year old. They will be tweaking the regs from here on out. So who knows what changes will take place. I just know I'm knocking mine out ASAP and fingers crossed on getting 24 months of being grandfathered in to the old rules. Pay whatever you can to get this out of the way before July 31st

ASA Study Books are the best. They really replicate the Cats test... Guaranteed pass every time....

you have 2 years to pass the practical, if the written expires, you have to go through the written school.

Ahhh.. Ok.. Thank you for enlightening me! I think I will be making a trip to Richmond ATP to knock it out then.... Thanks!

Just as a follow up. I just passed the ATP written. Had both the shepherd air and the ASA prep. My thoughts are this. Shepherd air has a money back guarantee which is good. But there software is not very intuitive, you can only install it on ONE computer, and the memory air sheet they gave me(all six pages) while neat for taking practice tests, didn't help during the actual test. For one, some of the tips they give you are wrong, and two not much of the questions from the cheat sheet were on the test.
As for the ASA products. The book is great because you can take it anywhere with you and study. It breaks down what you need to study vs. what you don't meaning ASA gives you all the questions but labels them as 135, 121, dispatch, etc... Whereas shepherd air doesn't have a book. As for the ASA ATP prep software, it was way above and beyond shepherd air. Looks just like a cats test, and it makes it very easy to study only the questions you dont know and weed through the ones you do know. Not to mention the fact that the ASA book and the ASA software combined were cheaper then the shepherd air. Lastly, the ASA software you can install on 2 computers plus it comes with a use anywhere web version of the software which is identical to the computer installed software and you access it from www.prepware.com.
So in closing, I really think shepherd air is overrated and overpriced. I think its great that some people swear by it, but in reality, its sub par compared to ASA. Lets face it, shepherd air is a small company vs. a large company like ASA which has the resources to do more research.
Just my .02 cents worth

Just as a follow up. I just passed the ATP written. Had both the shepherd air and the ASA prep. My thoughts are this. Shepherd air has a money back guarantee which is good. But there software is not very intuitive, you can only install it on ONE computer, and the memory air sheet they gave me(all six pages) while neat for taking practice tests, didn't help during the actual test. For one, some of the tips they give you are wrong, and two not much of the questions from the cheat sheet were on the test.
As for the ASA products. The book is great because you can take it anywhere with you and study. It breaks down what you need to study vs. what you don't meaning ASA gives you all the questions but labels them as 135, 121, dispatch, etc... Whereas shepherd air doesn't have a book. As for the ASA ATP prep software, it was way above and beyond shepherd air. Looks just like a cats test, and it makes it very easy to study only the questions you dont know and weed through the ones you do know. Not to mention the fact that the ASA book and the ASA software combined were cheaper then the shepherd air. Lastly, the ASA software you can install on 2 computers plus it comes with a use anywhere web version of the software which is identical to the computer installed software and you access it from www.prepware.com.
So in closing, I really think shepherd air is overrated and overpriced. I think its great that some people swear by it, but in reality, its sub par compared to ASA. Lets face it, shepherd air is a small company vs. a large company like ASA which has the resources to do more research.
Just my .02 cents worth
Wow, someone else who didn't think Sheppard Air was all that. I thought I was alone. I think the money back guarantee is also only good if you get less than a 90 AND can give them a question that was on your test that isn't in their database.

It's not supposed to be intuitive. o_O; You're supposed to read the instructions and follow them precisely. It's a system, albeit a very simple one, and well documented.

I can accept different preferences and opinions, I just have trouble seeing how you can arrive at them if you follow the instructions.

-Fox

I didn't think Sheppard air was anything magical, but it definitely worked and I didn't find it hard to use. No doubt I think they have a very complete and accurate database of questions. No surprises when I took the test.

Back