ATP written test prep

STS-41B

Anyone got experience with their ATP written test prep 1-day course?
I know it's $300, and you spend 8 hours or more studying stuff on their computers prepping for taking the test at the end of the day...
Is it worth it? Good pass rate?

I've thought about this for FEX, and maybe ATP, if EASA make us require it. There is 8 hours allocated but you are in front of a computer and can take breaks as you like I am told.

Most people appear to use Sheppardair for the ATP written. I have Dauntless software as well as the ASA books, it seems a good way to go though to save time.

Where would you take it?

Alex.

idk where i'd take it; just like the idea of dedicating a day to getting it over with. But if it only works if you've done a lot of self-study, then I might as well save the $300 and study my damn self LOL.
that's why I was wondering about the pass/fail rate if you come in without having done much if any preparation

Yes and no, have used sheppard air for cfii and well worth it with latest questions and may be cheaper.

At atp its nothing but sitting in front of a computer for eight hour and than taking the test if have consistent passing scores. Have talked to few pilots and recommended to buy a gleim book and study that way. It will save money too.

My buddy just took his ATP written not too long ago and did it through sheppard air, they guarantee a 90% or better or your money back. The moron ended up getting a 93, he should have gotten an 89...

If ATP's written prep computer program is anything like it was a couple years ago, you'll be wishing you learned it while sitting on your couch. The system was kind of archaic. Not to mention, your brain might be fried after the 8 hour cram session anyways; taking the test afterwords would suck. IMHO, you would have to do some pre-study before doing the 8 hour session it at ATP, being that you'll have to ante-up the testing fee again if it so happens you need to re-test. It's been completed before though, and will be done again by many. I just personally wouldn't, after hearing some of the choice words a few people had during the crunch period.

Figured I could chime in. I spent about a year and a half with ATP and proctored about 20 ATP tests. Out of those 20, I think 1 or 2 failed. These guys didn't use anything but ATP's test prep software, studying ALL day till they were cross eyed. It is very monotonous and boring. That being said, I used Sheppard Air.

I used sheppard air. If you can stand to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours, I'm sure you would do just fine taking the test. I actually spent about 3 days using sheppard air for my ATP. About 3 hours a day. And 2 days for my FEX. The memory guide is critical unless you know or want to know how to do all the number questions. The program is all about memorizing and recognizing answers. You don't really learn much. But it's well worth the money! You only study the actual number of questions that could be asked on the test. So no time is wasted on worthless questions

I proctored close to 200 ATP writtens over the years. 1 person failed. He was a Chinese guy with broken Engrish. It is a LONG day of studying but you will be done with it quick. If you want to pre-game - It never hurts. The vast majority I spoke with had not.

If you have the time and motivation, SheppardAir is not a bad alternative. Keep in mind you still have to find, schedule, and take the test somewhere. All writtens are $150 now.

My library subscribes to an online database of ebooks that you can borrow. One of them happened to be the 2013 ATP test prep book from ASA. Studied that for a few weeks, got an 80%. Could have done better but I saved all the weight and balance and performance questions for the end of the exam, was about to wet myself, and guessed randomly on a few of them. I'm not someone who can just memorize the test questions and answers.

Total cost: $125 for the exam.

Sheppard air has a system for memorizing answers. I think it's pretty clever and simplifies things.
My memory aid from them was 6 pages long though for the ATP. While it was tedious to memorize it, it was better than memorizing a bunch of random numbers. I still have it somewhere on my computer if someone wants to take a look at it. Keep in mind though, it's outdated by 2 years. So I wouldn't try to use it on a test today

I heard this from a guy who knows a guy... but has anybody heard rumors of the ATP written being valid for 5 years now instead of 2 due to the new ATP rules?

Sheppard Air. You can study it as much as you want, and could technically get it done in a day. I took my time (2 weeks) and got a 95. They even have a money back guarantee that you won't see ANY questions on the test that aren't in their prep software. I saw one, and they refunded my entire test prep fee.

I heard this from a guy who knows a guy... but has anybody heard rumors of the ATP written being valid for 5 years now instead of 2 due to the new ATP rules?
Nope. ATP written taken before August of 2014 will only 'grandfather' you in for 24 calendar months.

SHEPPARD AIR! Just passed with a 96%. I've used ASA and Gliem, both did not even come close to the level of customer service and quality of product. They keep their questions up to date.

Back