ATP Richmond

Joeyd9590

Hey everyone, i will be attending ATP Richmond in October for the 90 day ACPP. Any thoughts about Richmond? How was the housing and how are the aircraft?

Hello....I've only been to the Richmond location once but from what I saw it looked like a pretty deccent location. Everyone was pretty cool when I was there. The aircraft are moved around all the time so aircraft from one location to another are about the same if you are on the east coast. They tend to send all of the newer planes out to Texas and Arizona.

Alright awesome. How hard is the 90 day progam? Im only 18 years old. I got my private in 35 hours. Would anyone recomend that i take my Instrument knowledge and CFII knowledge test prior to coming to ATP?

Alright awesome. How hard is the 90 day progam? Im only 18 years old. I got my private in 35 hours. Would anyone recomend that i take my Instrument knowledge and CFII knowledge test prior to coming to ATP?
If you are smart, you will take ALL of your writtens before showing up to ATP.

Take your writtens before you go to ATP, it would make your life easier. :D

While you are here, please do some research about "college degree" :p

Say hi to Steve Hartley for me. He is a bro of mine from CFI school, we were roomies at the sweet HoJo ATP put us up in for the week.

You will have fun, ATP is a great program. Come prepared to learn...and learn fast!

And maybe think about going to college as well to have a back up plan as well.

:yeahthat:

What are you going to do at age 18 when you are $60K in debt and find yourself without a college degree? You're putting yourself on the fast track to be an airline pilot, but you don't have all the requirements to get there.

I work line and dispatch at an Aiport and I am really close with the family that runs it and they already offered me a job as a CFI there when i get back and once I get 800hrs they are going to put me on their charter ticket for their cessna 421 and both of their citation ultra's as well as paying for my type rating for the citation. I was supposed to sign up for classes at a local community college a week ago but i decided i was going to ATP. I am going to go to school in January when im done for criminal justice online. i looked into going to college for aviation but if for some reason i lost my medical, it would be usless cause i wouldnt be able to use it. My flight instuctor that i had for my private is one of my best friends and he just turned 20. He graduated from ATP last year and i was his first student and alls he talked about was how good ATP was so it rubbed off on me and now im gunna go. and yes i did get my private in 35 hours. the first person to do it at that airport.

I work line and dispatch at an Aiport and I am really close with the family that runs it and they already offered me a job as a CFI there when i get back and once I get 800hrs they are going to put me on their charter ticket for their cessna 421 and both of their citation ultra's as well as paying for my type rating for the citation.

Well are they part 91? There's really to my knowledge no way for you to get on any certificate at 800 hours in those aircraft part 135. Anyways that's something I'm not too sure of.

Lastly I've heard of many people making promises to others. Get things all written down on paper and in writting. If they are going to hire you as a CFI and what not then having in a legal document should be fine. As well as the paying for your TYPE get it all written down on paper so you can hold them too it. Many can make promises, few deliver on it.

Stand correct...learn something new every day. I knew it was possible under 142 w/ the 5 hrs of Simulator time...didn't take the time to read into 141 as well...my bad

I was an instructor in RIC and the housing is ok, newer airplanes. If you can study and take all of the writtens before you go, they will pay you back for most and it will make life easy.
As far as a degree, You can get credit for passing checkrides, so do check into that. But, if you want to fly as a career, you are starting out with a good program. Its fast, the fire hose, but you fly and study (drink) all the time. (good bars downtown) Go and get a tour of the tower, and tell them ZFW and American Eagle loves those guys and gals.
I have a master's degree and make the same amount of money flying as my roommate with a GED. But in the future the degree will get you into the door of a major.
Oh, the manager is crazy so just take what he says in one ear and out the other. Look him up on You Tube!!!

As well as the paying for your TYPE get it all written down on paper so you can hold them too it. Many can make promises, few deliver on it.

Now why would he do that? They "might" use him for right seat ballast on part 91 trips. Thats great for him (and VERY common in this end of the biz! Ive seen it quit a bit actually) Why would you tell the kid to be a d!ck and say "here sign this so I know youre not lying to me"?

At richmond now. Im my cross-country phase of the program. Its a good location, good CFI's. Im not 100% sold on ATP, as I know there are alot of things I would do differently, aka Customer service. It is true, when folks here say when they got your money they treat you like trash.

I am nervous to go through the CFI course. Both CFI locations, from the folks I know who went to them, says they get little to no instruction. And as for the CFI checkride, it looks like they sign off the 50% of folks at jacksonville they feel will pass, then send the other students from atlanta down to jax to "fail".

So if your a good self-starter, then rock on that. There has been a rumor that the are no longer letting people do the regional jet course, they just give them their $2500 and say they can do it at that same price within the next two years. Couple of folks have gotten the check, without opting out. We'll see in a few weeks when I head out.

New students are drying up. Ric has gone from having about 8 new students a month to 3-4. Things are slow, dont expect a TRUE 90 day program. There are guys here who started the private back in Febuary still. I myself am already a month or so behind.

Anyways, good luck to you.

Back