ATP Pros and Cons

I think you can still find accelerated programs that have much more valuable teaching information than ATP. Nothing wrong with going to an accelerated school, just make sure they teach you to become a professional pilot rather than teach you to pass your checkride.

That being said, I've met many ATP "grads" that are my colleagues and friends. It shouldn't damage your opportunity to get a job as a CFI and they really weren't bad pilots but for it's price, I still feel like it's not worth it. I don't even think ERAU is worth it but damnit when I saw their campus, I knew their education wasn't that bad like people try to claim it is. Pick what you feel is right and what you can financially afford (or a school that helps pay with a good loan or something).

There will ALWAYS be pro's and con's to your big university/accelerated program/mom and pop flight school. Find one that fits you. That's what I did for my PPL and college and I do not regret my decision. You'll run into people though that absolutely hate it no matter where you are, bud.

Good luck.

BTW, what is your location? I might know a few schools around your area if it's west coast.

Thanks. I rarely login so I hadn't noticed your reply. I'm in Florida, but I do appreciate the advice.

Thanks. I rarely login so I hadn't noticed your reply. I'm in Florida, but I do appreciate the advice.
No problem.. Florida has some great schools as well. If you choose to go the collegiate route, shoot me a message and I can help out. I did lots of research before I picked my school and toured a few campuses.

So even after determining that ATP is a bit more expensive, I still enrolled in the program. I got access to the extranet with all of the training materials, but I recall hearing about an ATP iPad app, which I couldn't find anywhere on the app store. Does anyone know if it's still used?

Also, are the requires apps truly required? I saw you have to get all of the prepware apps, but I'm already using sheppard air for all of the writtens. There is also a $35 Sporty's VFR communications app that is a ripoff according to the reviews.

Also, are the requires apps truly required? I saw you have to get all of the prepware apps, but I'm already using sheppard air for all of the writtens. There is also a $35 Sporty's VFR communications app that is a ripoff according to the reviews.
VFR Communication app? You can just listen to LiveATC and study radio calls that way. It's real too, so you'll get the experience of the non-standard radio calls. Make sure you pick a GA airport and not a big Class B airport with IFR traffic.

KDVT is pretty good, we have a large amount of traffic that's GA and you'll get all sorts of radio calls to study with. Won't cost you a dime and I've seen some stellar student pilot radio skills by using this method. Just a suggestion.

Good luck in the training though. Keep us updated.

VFR Communication app? You can just listen to LiveATC and study radio calls that way. It's real too, so you'll get the experience of the non-standard radio calls. Make sure you pick a GA airport and not a big Class B airport with IFR traffic.

KDVT is pretty good, we have a large amount of traffic that's GA and you'll get all sorts of radio calls to study with. Won't cost you a dime and I've seen some stellar student pilot radio skills by using this method. Just a suggestion.

Good luck in the training though. Keep us updated.

Thanks, man. I meant that ATP lists some apps are required apps for purchase, this VFR communications app being an example, and I'd rather not pay for it if I can get away with it. Definitely much better ways to practice communications. I do listen to liveatc from time to time, and I'm thinking of paying for a couple of months of PilotEdge to get the comms down in flightsim.

Thanks, man. I meant that ATP lists some apps are required apps for purchase, this VFR communications app being an example, and I'd rather not pay for it if I can get away with it. Definitely much better ways to practice communications. I do listen to liveatc from time to time, and I'm thinking of paying for a couple of months of PilotEdge to get the comms down in flightsim.
I've heard some great things about PilotEdge here on the forums. I use vatsim a lot, but the communication isn't the best. That will help the most I bet...plus, it's more fun to do.

The ATP iPad app was discontinued over a year ago. You shouldn't need any of the other apps that are "required." However if you do, just download them on day one. No big deal.

The ATP iPad app was discontinued over a year ago. You shouldn't need any of the other apps that are "required." However if you do, just download them on day one. No big deal.

Thanks. Never got to see the app, so I don't know if it was an improvement to go all online instead, but it's a bit of a pain to watch the training videos through the extranet on mobile.

Glad to hear about the required apps. Should save me a bit of cash.

Thanks. Never got to see the app, so I don't know if it was an improvement to go all online instead, but it's a bit of a pain to watch the training videos through the extranet on mobile.

Glad to hear about the required apps. Should save me a bit of cash.

What location are you attending?

I'm currently going to ATP and received my PPL beforehand at a local FBO. About 6 weeks in, I'm happy with the experience so far. I got lucky and wound up with a fairly experienced CFI that I've been very happy with. I'd guess most people's experience has a lot to do with the quality of their instructor. Unlike at a mom-and-pop, you're just kind of assigned someone and unless you're really unhappy I think you're basically stuck with them.

I'm 29 and already have a bachelor's degree though. If I was your age and hadn't finished college yet I probably wouldn't have gone with an accelerated program and would have either done an aviation degree or just got my ratings on the side while going to school.

I'm in the same boat as you, 29 with a BA. Is there anything you'd recommend doing starting from 0hrs and planning to go with ATP? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not there is something before attending you had wish you'd done first?

I'm in the same boat as you, 29 with a BA. Is there anything you'd recommend doing starting from 0hrs and planning to go with ATP? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not there is something before attending you had wish you'd done first?

Since you're starting from 0 time there's not a ton I can think of that I'd have done, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get at least your private written done before starting so you have one less thing to worry about.

Heads up for those who plan on getting their writtens out of the way before starting. If you're signed up for the career program, ATP sends you access to Sheppard Air for "free" (included).

Since you're starting from 0 time there's not a ton I can think of that I'd have done, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get at least your private written done before starting so you have one less thing to worry about.
Appreciate it, that was something I was thinking about doing to make the 6 month course a little less daunting. I'm not really sure how to study for the private test. Are there any good manuals or study guides that would best prep me for the test? I do have a manual from Kershner.

Appreciate it, that was something I was thinking about doing to make the 6 month course a little less daunting. I'm not really sure how to study for the private test. Are there any good manuals or study guides that would best prep me for the test? I do have a manual from Kershner.

The Gleim Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test book is pretty good.

Sporty's has something called Study Buddy, if you prefer to practice on your computer or tablet. The free version gets you a lot. I bought the app for about $10 so I could use it on my tablet.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/learn-to-fly/study-buddy.html

The Gleim Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test book is pretty good.

Sporty's has something called Study Buddy, if you prefer to practice on your computer or tablet. The free version gets you a lot. I bought the app for about $10 so I could use it on my tablet.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/learn-to-fly/study-buddy.html
Appreciate it, I did download sportys study buddy but it seemed like there wasn't enough info? I guess I'm imagining this 100+ question test for the privates written. Does anyone remember how many questions there are?

Back