ATP Oral Exam help....

PGH Maverick

I am preparing for my ATP ride. I have completed the written and am now ready to prepare for the oral exam. I have purchased the oral exam guide, but need more guidance. The oral exam guide is 240 pages long, and a lot of info on turbine aircraft. I will be doing the check ride in a Twin Comanche.

My question to you folks...
Can anybody offer info on which info I should focus on? Such as more on the systems of the aircraft I am flying for the ride, instead of the BE1900? Any info which the FAA has been stressing lately?

I would appreciate any guidance you can offer. I am confident that I will not have any issues with the flight portion, that just takes time and practice in the aircraft. It is the oral exam which makes me nervous!

Thanks

Know the systems of the aircraft that you will be using for the flight. Otherwise it is pretty close to a commercial oral.

I would agree. Mine was just as simple. But it all depends on the examiner. Mine was a retried US Air guy. I had been at the regionals for a few months. So he felt compelled to teach me about how much regionals messed up his life. Just nodded and agreed, got my atp, then a better job.

This is an interesting and very important question. I have found in my 5 years of instructing that Oral Exam guides are 99% worthless because each examiner is different. I had a good working relationship with all examiners I used as well as all the FAA inspectors that gave my students CFI checkrides so I just flat out asked them for what they would like to see. If it's with the FAA, the PTS is your friend. And really, for any DPE the PTS should be your friend also. Just go through that item by item and see EXACTLY what the checkride calls for. The expanded tasks section tells you where to study, so go to your books and read through those sections. If you come to a section that you are pretty unsure about, get a ground lesson on it. The systems will be mainly about your aircraft HOWEVER you will need to know the basics of a larger aircraft so knowing the main components of a pressurization system, turbochargers, anti-ice etc will be good but definitely not aircraft specific.

Your best option is to get a gouge from someone who has taken a checkride with the person giving it. While there are oral exam guides, each examiner usually have their pet subjects. It pays to know what those are and know them well. Short of that I'd say know the plane, op specs and be prepared for everything else. Is the examiner's initials MB?

Yes I am going to Great Lakes, and then bringing the aircraft back to my home base to build a bunch of time over a few weeks. Then at the end if the flight time, I am doing my ATP in the last few days.

The ATP oral exam guide is the worst of them all. What you can get from it is a basic understanding of the level of working knowledge the examiner is going to expect from you, but it will be based on the aircraft you are flying on the check ride. There will be ZERO B1900 questions on the check ride. The ATP ride is really a non event. There is nothing you will be required to do that you haven't done on previous check rides. After this check ride is over every ride you take for the rest of your career will be exactly the same.

Find out what the examiner's biggest hobby is and find a way to bring that up.
Otherwise it's just like a com ride, and easier than a 121 or 135 ride because the airplane you're using is simpler and they're not going to ask you any 135/121 or op spec questions.

Has anybody done an ATP at Sheble Aviation? I am wondering what you can tell me about the oral and check ride. Is the oral just from the study guide they have? Or should I prepare some other stuff? Any surprises to expect on the check ride?

Thanks in advance.

Has anybody done an ATP at Sheble Aviation? I am wondering what you can tell me about the oral and check ride. Is the oral just from the study guide they have? Or should I prepare some other stuff? Any surprises to expect on the check ride?

Thanks in advance.

Well unless a person has been in the past few months I would not assume their info to be current for Shebles. After all the things that have went on out there in the recent past I would select another school personally. The FAA has a hard-on to destroy everything Sheble so if you do go I would expect to have a very in-depth oral/flight.

Maybe checkout Traverse Air or Action Multi Ratings.

I completed my ATP!!! Thanks to all for the advice and the pointers!
Now I need to pick a route to take my career!

Back