ATP Jacksonville - Your experience

Eclipse is right- for once. :D The Orlando FSDO is giving JAX CFI applicants one name of a DPE and then also notifying the DPE. After the sign offs, the student and DPE get together at an agreed upon ATP location and have at it. I think it is a great idea. JAX has an applicant taking the MEI initial tomorrow with some examiner I have never heard of- should be fun. You can call and ask Dave S. at jax atp if you have any questions.

Hey Paul- what did you find out?

Tis the way it is..... Called INDY FSDO and got word they are doing it that way too! Guess I got lucky while I was in FL and with the last guy here. I dont get it though. Steve Claig one time picked my student, because she knew him, and she was able to get him. So do the DPE's have some say in their students? Like can they arrange to get students they have worked with in the past?

When I was at ATP, it was explained to me that Florida was the ONLY state that the FAA allowed DPE's to do initial CFI's.
I remember Matt B. Telling me that they were waiting for the FSDO to tell them which DPE I would get. In any case, it ended up being Pinkston. I guess at the time, the FSDO was so backed up, they were just used to giving all of us the DPE's that ATP routinely used. My training partner got Earnie and a 12 hour oral. Some got Black...

In DAB you get Uncle Pete unless he can't fit you in, that's the way it used to be at least, he always had first dibs, which put some students on quite a waiting list.

When I was at ATP, it was explained to me that Florida was the ONLY state that the FAA allowed DPE's to do initial CFI's.
I remember Matt B. Telling me that they were waiting for the FSDO to tell them which DPE I would get. In any case, it ended up being Pinkston. I guess at the time, the FSDO was so backed up, they were just used to giving all of us the DPE's that ATP routinely used. My training partner got Earnie and a 12 hour oral. Some got Black...

Not exactly, Vegas also has most of the initial CFI's going with DPE's. That is why ATP doesn't do CFI school in PHX. The Scottsdale FSDO does all of the inital CFI checkrides...and they are notorious for 12-14 hour orals. ATP definitely knows how to work the system when it comes to inital CFI checkrides, at least they used to.

All CFIs going through the program here at Arlington take their initials with the Fort Worth FSDO inspectors, maintaining a very good pass rate as well.

This summer Lumley, Pinkston, and Black were all giving CFI initials out of KPMP (along with a few others). All seemed very fair and gave pretty short orals and rides (whole thing <4-5 hours). This summer, Miami FSDO used DPEs, don't think Orlando did at that time though (still used FSDO).

I took my MEI initial with Bill Blauer in ft lauderdale. Nice guy, I reccomend him... not sure if ATP is still using him..

This summer Lumley, Pinkston, and Black were all giving CFI initials out of KPMP (along with a few others). All seemed very fair and gave pretty short orals and rides (whole thing <4-5 hours). This summer, Miami FSDO used DPEs, don't think Orlando did at that time though (still used FSDO).
When I was in Miami, most initials were done via DPE's. I think I knew most of the Miami FSDO by their first name.

That's him... Dave Garner. He really was a nice guy and he even gave me his card at the end and told me to give him a call anytime I had any questions as an instructor... and that he'd be happy to help.

Bob
Did you happen to fly out of the Tampa ATP? Thanks.

Sorry, no I didn't. I flew out of DFW.

To my knowledge... the Tampa location is brand new. I don't even know if it's open yet.

Bob

Back