ATP Interview?

Robair:
What is your current position?
I mean are you in the program or getting ready for it?

I'm getting ready for it. Taking the PPL written tomorrow in Trenton, NJ. Start the PVT course in April in JAX.

Hey - Thanks to all of you that replied to my initial post. Received my acceptance letter from ATP this past week. I start the PPL in JAX 8-4-03 and the ACP in Manassas in late September. Just finished the PPL king course - PPL stuff not too rough- still have to test though.

Started instrument ground school on Monday. Right now instrument ground school is kicking my tail. Please tell me that eventually the light bulb comes on..... VOR, CDI, HSI, RMI, RNAV, DME, LORAN, GPS.... Primary instruments, secondary instruments! Are there any good instrument study aids( i.e. tapes, cds or dvd's) out there?

Well back to the books for now.

Regards,

Lemme get this straight: you haven't even soloed yet, but are taking an instrument ground school? You're really making things harder on yourself than necessary. That instrument stuff will make much more sense after you've got your private ticket under your belt.

There is so much to learn initially for the private pilot license, like systems, airspace, aeromedical factors, weather etc..... Why don't you just get through the private stuff then take a couple weeks off and get the rest of the writtens done. ATP will get you done with your private license in about 40-45 hours and then to build your 85 total hours you will be going on x-countries with other instructors so you will learn ALOT of instrument stuff (beacause you will file IFR and be under the hood some of the time) to get you ready for the career pilot program. All the instrument will come much easier after you have a little experience.

Hey Robair,
I will be starting at JAX in April as well for the PVT course. When are you moving in? DO you know where your gonna do you ACP? I will prolly take most of june off, and start the ACP in july or late June.

Longhaul,
WHat is the weather like in DC during July-september? Is it really humid?

-Brian

Hey Blee, I just changed my start date to June. I was laid off for most of Jan. I have to recoup my losses. D.C. is very "muggy". The air sticks to you when it gets above 90. It's a different humid than down south. It's dirty humid air. Sick.

Ahh it's not that bad! During late summer, early fall it is not uncommon to see a 15 to 20 degrees change in temperature within a 12 to 24 hour period. In the early mornings it may be as cool as 60F, with afternoon highs between 80F to 85F, cooling again in the evening. I'd say the humidity is generally less than 30%. Great IFR training conditions. Expect low ceilings and haze.

Just a note there is some talk about TSA placing some additional restrictions around the airspace in the DC area. If interested please see a portion of an email sent last night to AOPA members by AOPA's President:

[ QUOTE ]
"For several months we have been aware of the formation of the National Capital Region Airspace Security Working Group, tasking numerous agencies with developing stricter airspace regulations around Washington, D.C.

As we reported on the AOPA website last week, the government has established the National Capital Region Command Center (NCRCC), staffed 24/7 to prevent SFAR 94 airspace incursions. All of this is complicated by airspace violations by general aviation pilots that break the confidence of those who are deciding our fate. The U.S. Customs Air Marine Interdiction Branch is patrolling the skies in a law enforcement/public safety role. This past weekend, there were two intercepts made by this new unit. To make matters worse, both were brought down at AOPA's home airport, Frederick, MD.

All of what I have previously stated is fact or will soon be fact. Now to the continuing "chatter" which is somewhat disturbing. These established groups and agencies are discussing possible implementation of additional D.C. airspace restrictions. The range of the restrictions would greatly expand the scope of the current 15-nm radius SFAR 94. Least restrictive would be the vertical expansion of the Washington-Baltimore Class B airspace from the surface to 10,000 ft, with no VFR operations. Next, rumors abound that from the outer ring of the Class B to the Mode C Veil outer boundary, reating a full 30-nm ring around IAD, DCA and BWI a "squawk and talk" requirement would be implemented (discrete transponder code and communications), along with no flight training. The worst we have heard is a draconian 55-mile 'no-fly' zone around Washington, DC. This would mean absolutely no Part 91 and no Part 135 operations. Period.

Don't kill the messenger, and don't think AOPA is sitting on its hands accepting any of this. Believe me, with our national headquarters in the area, we are keenly aware and concerned about potential restrictions on our members. Our staff continues to press Department of Homeland Security officials to not unfairly target general aviation. We have stepped up our meetings with TSA, FAA, Dept. of Defense, U.S. Customs, Secretary Ridge, other senior Department of Homeland security staff, as well as Congress. We have compiled economic impact data on all general aviation airports within a 55-mile radius of Washington and we are pressing for "reason" in a situation that has the potential to become extremely "unreasonable." As soon as we have something more specific, we'll obviously turn to our elected officials in Congress to intercede, and reach out to you with a call to action."

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider yourself forewarned. Good Luck. Fly Safe.

Back