ATP Citation Type Rating or Pan-Am's ACE

Re: ATP Citation Type Rating or Pan-Am\'s ACE

ananoman --

What, exactly, is a restricted type rating (except the "VFR only")? Either you can accomplish the entire PTS in a sim, or you accomplish the remaining elements in the plane and satisfy the PTS. If you don't, there is no type rating. Why wouldn't anything short of the PTS-required training/testing be offered? ATP wouldn't call it what it does.

What FMS? If there isn't one installed on the plane, why should FMS/CDU training be involved? You wouldn't be responsible for it on the checkride... and believe me, Ernie is NOT going to let anything be overlooked during the ride.

As far as the 4 day type, you are responsible for a LOT of knowledge on your own, prior to showing up. No spoon-feeding- that cuts a lot of fat from the ground school. To that end, our jet is extremely simple. It is easier to fly than our Seminoles, the engines are tame, the wing is not anything remotely supercritical so it stalls like a GA pilot would expect it to, and the systems aren't incredibly complicated. Even so, it just isn't for everyone.

Incidentally, The Turbine Pilot's Manual is issued to our students (including Captain Bob, who started this thread) and the students are already getting 140 multiengine hours. The book by Pendleton is great, but overpriced. By the way, she is (was?) the DE on the CE501 that the Kings operate.

Just wanted to drop a note and thank everyone for their wonderful feedback and advice. I really appreciate it.

My interview with ATP was scheduled for tomorrow at HEF (Manassas, VA), but the weather scrubed my VFR flight pland from PWM.

I will be rescheduling for next week, and jsut hooked up with another pilot who wants to go and interview as well. Looks like we can hook up and both get some hood time and XC time as PIC on the way down. Flight time from PWM to HEF in a 172 is about 4.5-5 hours one way.

Sig & Hunter,

What are your thoughts on just spending the extra $$ on building multi-time with ATP if I don't get hired right away? Like I said earlier... I'm just looking at options to fill the potential gap from completing the ACPP and getting hired (hopefully by them).

Thanks,

Bob

I had assumed that the airplane had a FMS, if it does not I was mistaken. I guess alot of the old stuff didn't have one. I have heard of people with out the required experience taking all the training in the sim. I figured they just got a type with a restriction. After reading the regulations, it looks like they must be given a 'letter of discontinuance' just like if you stop a checkride with an examiner. At ATP the type rating must include a flight in the plane so you can accomplish the preflight, normal takeoff, normal ILS, missed approach, and normal landing.

Unless you have a decent amount of turbine time or another type rating, you still get a restricted type rating. In FAR 61.63 (e) 9 it says that the type rating will include the note that "This certificate is subject to pilot-in-command limitations for the additional rating." You get the restriction removed by accomplishing 25 hours of supervised operating experience as PIC under the supervision of a qualified PIC, in the seat normally occupied by the PIC.

I still do not think that this would be a good investment for a 200 hour pilot.

you get several hours in the citation, maybe around 4 i think...

And what do you mean by building time with ATP? the ASAP program? if you mean that, that is the next best thing to instructing in a multi...its 35 hours of multi pic for 3495

so less than 100 for an hour

Hunter,

Yes... The ASAP is what I'm referring to. Although, half of the ASAP program is Seminole Ground School... Do you know if they discount the program for ACPP Grads, since they already have the Seminole experience?

I just got the ATP Seminole Supplement today... Study, study, study!
smile.gif

Bob

*smacks forehead*

NOW I see what you were getting at. I was a bit confuzzled, since we own a Citation, and the whole PTS is satisfied... okay. I assumed you were playing the FlightSafety recurrent training card (all types are "moot" until you get a PC from them, which is goofy, and infuriating to hear).

Hey, I'm older than 793AA, but younger than a ton o' planes with FMSes!!
smile.gif

You are the man, ananoman- I'm impressed. There's a lot of wrong assumptions made about ATP and flying at large (note my gaffe from earlier, right??) and you knew exactly what was what. You wouldn't happen to do work under Part 142, would you?

Back