ATP? A good way to start a career in Aviation?

Patrick Jenkins

Hello all, I'm interested in becoming a pilot in the aviation industry. I have read through some post in this forum and from what I see, the cost of this program seems to be a major issue as student loans and high interest repayments seem to be the major obstacle. My question is this. I had a background in the medical field for most of my life. I'm 44 years old now and am still in very good physical shape. 160lbs, none smoker and I drink maybe a few beers here and there. I have always dreamed of flying and always looked to the sky with much envy as a kid. I was distracted from my dreams by my father who would always say " you have to make straight A's and fly in the air force if you want to be an airline pilot." and unfortunately, I took his advice. Well, after losing my job a few years back due to massive reductions in reimbursements from Medicaid, I have not been happy with my current career field. This has left me depressed and I resigned recently from my current job, or I might say, forced to resign due to lack of incoming work. My father who had his private pilot rating, recently passed away and left me a house that is paid for and a enough money that would enable me to pay for the ATP commercial pilot fast track program. I live in Farmers Branch which is close to Addison Airport. I would hate to make a mistake with the gift my father has left me and go through this program and not be able to find a job. To me, the money is not too important. I do have two kids. One is twelve and the other is 8 and I make child support payments. They live with their mom so travel would not be an issue. What would some of the pilots recommend regarding my situation. Like I said before, I have always wanted to fly and built every model airplane as a kid also. I've been flying RC aircraft for 12 years to somewhat help with my desire to be in the air and am not just wanting to be a pilot because I think it would be a " cool thing to do". Your advice would be appreciated.

Run and run fast. I fly professionally and never in a million years would I take 65K+ and blow it on ATP. Take that money, invest it. Make more. Relax.

Serious answer? Go to a part61 school and get your private for 6-7k. Come back to us after you pass your checkride and then we'll talk.

Tl;dr; No.

You need to get a copy of the book,

"Do Not Pay Any Flight School More Than $2500 In Advance"

It will explain how to get your ratings one at a time for a whole lot less. It will also explain why you should never pay in advance for one of these flight school programs.

Joe

@Patrick Jenkins I suggest you try and get your private pilot certificate first, and then re-evaluate whether to continue pursuing a career. Consider that you will need to build at least 1500 hours before being qualified for any regional airline. In this new environment, there's really no advantage in going to ATP anymore. Get your ratings for less.

Airline flying is very, very different from leisure flying. You will be subjected to continued evaluation -e.g. checkrides, line checks etc-, not to mention your career hinging on not having a major hiccup with your FAA medical ( done every 6 months in your case!). You will be faced with flying and situations that will NOT be fun, near thunderstorms, snow and the like. You will be away from home; sometimes when your loved ones may need you the most. And consider youll make $20K your first year at a regional!

If you can handle all this, then airline flying may be for you. You've come to a great site here. There's plenty of resourceful folks to help you navigate your way into this crazy business.

My advice? Pay for your Private out of pocket at a local Part 61 school. I'm pretty sure multiple JCers live in your area. Meet up with them and get their opinion of 121 flying. If you decide it isn't the life for you, then you'll still be able to fly recreationally,

I agree that you should get your PPL first. You can see if you have the "knack" for flying, that it's something you really want to pursue, and that you're still willing to sacrifice other things to make it happen. This will also expose you to like minded people and CFI's. With the windfall from your inheritance, you might consider buying a small plane and using a free lance CFI for the other training. 30K would get you something IFR capable and you could sell it for about what you paid for it when you're done. I'm not a fan of ATP's program. The ad's are very flashy and full of promise. They won't tell you the rest of the story about the industry.

I'm VERY glad I came to this site, that's for sure. I will keep this thread up to date on my progress in obtaining my private license first and will re-evaluate my direction after I achieve this goal. Think my dad would have appreciated the input of you guys also. He would not want me to waste any of his hard earned money. And AA34, I'm having a Heineken in honor of you!

As everyone else will say, get a PPL first, you will be in a much better position to make decisions then. Besides, sounds like your old man would have approved doing that anyway.

Aviation is in a weird place in the US right now, as most flying gigs are starting to pay better than being at an airline starting out, at least. 121 flying is hardly the only option out there.

I did the ATP route and I enjoyed it. However if you live in a place with good flying weather, and good schools then forget ATP.

I did the ATP route and I enjoyed it. However if you live in a place with good flying weather, and good schools then forget ATP.

I too went to ATP after obtaining my Private Certificate locally. At the time it was 24k, all inclusive, and beat waiting months for weather or maintenance at the local FBO. I also had a great instructor which helped. Today I'm not so sure it's the good deal it was back in '99-'00, but I don't regret going there.

You need to get a copy of the book,

"Do Not Pay Any Flight School More Than $2500 In Advance"

It will explain how to get your ratings one at a time for a whole lot less. It will also explain why you should never pay in advance for one of these flight school programs.

Joe

Lol I feel like you should mention you're the author of the book you're telling him to buy.

I'm on record in another similar thread echoing the exact sentiments of DE727UPS. Research, buy, own, train, sell.

You'll find some local part 61/141 schools may also have a 0 to hero program to get you all the ratings. This'll usually run you a whole lot less than ATP and will likely be a more personalized experience.

NO! Do not waste your father's money. When I was working on my PP with the intention of going all the way I was getting great instruction from the every day Joe type instructor who I paid as I went. Use that money to stay at home and fly. You can do the same thing for so little more. I thought of going down to Florida and am so glad I did not. It's just way too expensive. All glamour. Alright maybe I should not censure the whole big flight school too fast but while it is technically legit, on a more dangerous level to me it's an avaricious monstrosity. It's sort of like usury. You say here is a glass of wine, now pay to drink it. Or rather that bar down there sells a glass of wine for $7 but here it's $14. Why? Because our wine is kept in better cellars! Well, yes, it is. I am sure ATP is great. But you can do all this at home for a lot less. And it will be more real. No offense to those who went there. I am sure it did a lot of good for you. But I just think your father's money could be much better spent, leaving you some for wiser things. Besides your are 44. You will have to fly private jets in 20 years when you would be forced to retire. Consider that.

NO! Do not waste your father's money. When I was working on my PP with the intention of going all the way I was getting great instruction from the every day Joe type instructor who I paid as I went. Use that money to stay at home and fly. You can do the same thing for so little more. I thought of going down to Florida and am so glad I did not. It's just way too expensive. All glamour. Alright maybe I should not censure the whole big flight school too fast but while it is technically legit, on a more dangerous level to me it's an avaricious monstrosity. It's sort of like usury. You say here is a glass of wine, now pay to drink it. Or rather that bar down there sells a glass of wine for $7 but here it's $14. Why? Because our wine is kept in better cellars! Well, yes, it is. I am sure ATP is great. But you can do all this at home for a lot less. And it will be more real. No offense to those who went there. I am sure it did a lot of good for you. But I just think your father's money could be much better spent, leaving you some for wiser things. Besides your are 44. You will have to fly private jets in 20 years when you would be forced to retire. Consider that.
What's a PP? Do you honestly know anything about ATP without doing a google search? What's an "everyday Joe type instructor"? Do you realize there are many other types of flying and other aviation jobs he could do after he would leave an airline if that is even where he winds up? Is this advice coming from your vast experience as a professional pilot? Do you really think you are qualified to be giving aviation career advice to anyone?

Last edited:
What's a PP? Do you honestly know anything about ATP without doing a google search? What's an "everyday Joe type instructor"? Do you realize there are many other types of flying and other aviation jobs he could do after he would leave an airline if that is even where he winds up? Is this advice coming from your vast experience as a professional pilot? Do you really think you are qualified to be giving aviation career advice to anyone?

A PP is a private pilot. Sorry if that's not clear. It may not be commonly used, but you seem enough to look pass to be pretty sure what something means in context of that what surrounds it. And I was giving my opinion. My judgment is not infallible like yours, Your Holiness.

And I know what ATP is like I am sure you knew what PP meant. I did look into going to all those big flight schools, enamored by the romance of it all. I am not saying there are good things, but IMHO--or conceited opinion if you wish--the money can be well spent at home. It's not like the OP has to take out a loan--from what I can tell because he inherited enough--but still it's a lot of money. The instruction may be good, but it can be good at home, too.

Back