ATP? A good way to start a career in Aviation?

A PP is a private pilot. Sorry if that's not clear. It may not be commonly used, but you seem enough to look pass to be pretty sure what something means in context of that what surrounds it. And I was giving my opinion. My judgment is not infallible like yours, Your Holiness.

When I was working on my PP with the intention of going all the way
That would be a PPL. Not a PP.

That would be a PPL. Not a PP.

Ha, you're kidding right? You're going to nitpick over a letter because by your authority it can't be any other way? I'm not going to bother responding anymore here because it's not serving the interest of the OP. If you want to nitpick over letters and all that fine. It's not like I've never flown. The only reason I am not anymore is I have seizures. Kind of puts a stop to it all. So while I am not an expert I do have experience in personally considering places like ATP. But I spent 60 hours towards getting my PP[L] at home. And I am glad I did with my everyday Joe instructors. BTW, what I meant by that was simply the guy who works at your regular flight school at your regular airport. You are free to have a different opinion about big schools. I understand there is a benefit to them.

Maybe I came off a bit sanctimonious in my first response to the OP but you're coming of sort of rude nitpicking over letters on an abbreviation which is in no way set in stone by the old men at Oxford who define how to spell and abbreviate things. I am glad I did not go to a big school. You want to know why? An why I advice against it to the OP? Because I could have spent all that money and then gotten sick (which can happen to anyone) and been grounded. Same thing can happen to anyone. Better to have spent as little as possible. The idea being that you do not know what is going to happen, and while you should not let the unknown stop you, you should be prudent about it.

You just don't get it and apparently you never will, even though you've gotten plenty of advice from several members on here in various threads, which you just keep refusing to heed. Have at it, I give up.

Under this guys' circumstances, I'd say ATP makes more sense than for some others (but as others have said, not until you've earned your PPL and can assure yourself that you would qualify for a 1st class medical). I've had some very limited experience with ATP programs but have been fairly impressed with their operation. I earned my PPL from mom and pop's flight school, but had a disastrous situation at another mom and pop trying to earn my multi.

Actually, PPL would be incorrect in the US. The FAA issues certificates, not licenses.
Technically, it is a certification and obviously states so right on it. Most people (not all - some use certificate) refer to it commonly as a license, do they not? Hell, most flight schools advertise it as a PPL. But no one calls it a PP, or says I just got my PP, or says they are working on their PP or that's a great school to get a PP at or congrats for getting your PP. That was my point.

Last edited:
I thought it was an Airman's Certificate. :)

To the OP - you're in a great part of the country to learn to fly. Aviation is fairly strong in north-central Texas, and there are lots of options for training. Our own @turbomax97 I believe ran that ATP office for a while, and @LoadMasterC141 still has some involvement with them, I think. I learned to fly out of KTKI (that's the field in McKinney) with a flying club, m'self.

I have no career advice to offer, as I am not a professional pilot, but I will echo what @Murdoughnut said - ATP is sort of designed with a guy like you in mind. Most of the advice against ATP around here stems from the huge debt loads that pilots undertake...and it is definitely true that you could reach your goals in the same amount of time for less money. The variables are just different.

I would strongly suggest that you take up @mojo6911 on his offer to meet and talk. He's got a good reputation and knows aviation in the DFW area quite well.

Good luck to you.

No offense, but at your age, you don't have a whole lot of time to waist. If you're going to do it, power through your private, and then decide. 44 is pretty late in the game to be starting this.

Technically, it is a certification and obviously states so right on it. Most people (not all - some use certificate) refer to it commonly as a license, do they not? Hell, most flight schools advertise it as a PPL. But no one calls it a PP, or says I just got my PP, or says they are working on their PP or that's a great school to get a PP at or congrats for getting your PP. That was my point.
I believe the PPL terminology comes from other parts of the world, where they're being issued licenses, rather than certificates. It's ridiculous that you're chastising him for incorrectly using an incorrect abbreviation. Just pointing that out. :)

I believe the PPL terminology comes from other parts of the world, where they're being issued licenses, rather than certificates. It's ridiculous that you're chastising him for incorrectly using an incorrect abbreviation. Just pointing that out. :)

The reason why I mostly remain quiet around here now. Arguing just for the sake of arguing. I do a lot of observing and head shaking.

Back