ATC phraseology question for you smart people.

Also, I've noticed in more than a few of the small GA planes Ive rented that the altitude encoder on the ancient Mode C is not up to the task and is off by several hundred feet and floating a bit.

Its happened enough that when I get an unsolicited barometer reading (ie "hey buddy watch your altitude"), I'll ask what altitude he's seeing on his screen so we can compare and I can hopefully reassure him that it's the encoder and not me.

Fix
Might not be the plane, @NovemberEcho can elaborate further, but I believe approach controllers need to set the altimeter compensation on their scope as well. Your mode c always broadcasts your altitude on a standard altimeter. The radar compensates and it can be set by the user.

Might not be the plane, @NovemberEcho can elaborate further, but I believe approach controllers need to set the altimeter compensation on their scope as well. Your mode c always broadcasts your altitude on a standard altimeter. The radar compensates and it can be set by the user.

yeah. Unfortunately it can only use 1 setting for the whole building since it’s all connected so it is slaved to JFK’s altimeter setting, so for us in EWR area it’s not uncommon to see everyone level at 6100 instead of 6000 for example

Back