ATC Attire

bc2209

It's a pretty random question but I was able to go up in the tower for a visit and what I saw was sort of shocking.

Shocking because I had a preconceived image as to what they would wearing for their job.

WRONG.

I was really pretty surprised that they wore everyday street clothes. I suppose nothing wrong with that but it had a shock factor and a wow to it.

I have a feeling there might be some story behind it but I thought i'd ask you guys?

Why do they wear street clothes? Because no one ever sees them? Part of the union negotiations?

I realize no one really sees them except for fellow ATC'ers but it did come off as a little unprofessional.

Last edited:
It's a pretty random question but I was able to go up in the tower for a visit and what I saw was sort of shocking.

Shocking because I had a preconceived image as to what they would wearing for their job.

WRONG.

I was really pretty surprised that they wore everyday street clothes. I suppose nothing wrong with that but it had a shock factor and a wow to it.

I have a feeling there might be some story behind it but I thought i'd ask you guys?

Why do they wear street clothes? Because no one ever sees them? Part of the union negotiations?

I realize no one really sees them except for fellow ATC'ers but it did come off as a little unprofessional.

What were you expecting them to be wearing? A suit? uniform of some type?

what do you mean by "street clothes"? I'd say govt contractors and employees (aside from the armed forces types) by and large wear slacks and a polo or maybe casual button up for the most part. Has never struck me as unprofessional, and most of those guys have earned the right to not wear a tuxedo on the job IMHO.

Las Vegas is guilty of it. I worked for Raytheon and our boss required us at least business casual. However there were probably more flip-flops in the tracon and tower then a Sunday on the lake.

In my last tower downstairs from the FAA, those guys made me look yuppy. And I got passive-aggressive appearance comments all the time(usually work in shorts, flip flops, and a silly t-shirt). It's one of my personal favorite perks about the ATC environment. When I walk around the terminal no one has any idea where I work, and despite having a badge I've been asked questions by pax maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years. The term "business casual" gets thrown around up here, but really just do a good job and no one cares enough to discipline.

Buying food here they forget my employee discount a lot though and I usually don't catch it. When they ask where I work, I say "up on the roof".

what do you mean by "street clothes"? I'd say govt contractors and employees (aside from the armed forces types) by and large wear slacks and a polo or maybe casual button up for the most part. Has never struck me as unprofessional, and most of those guys have earned the right to not wear a tuxedo on the job IMHO.

Hoodies and jeans are pretty commonplace in the tower cab. I've never been to a TRACON or ARTCC but I'd imagine they all look like Boris from Goldeneye:

Tumblr_m70ti6QdnJ1qz9wquo1_500.jpg

"Whispering Will" from TUS TRACON was never as you'd picture him hearing him on the frequency. He was long hair in a pony tail, Hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I did a tour of Anchorage center and it seemed to.range from what ever was clean for the guy controllers. The ladies were definitely better dressed, and then it it scaled up from mid managers in business casual to a few suits with the top managers. It made it pretty easy to see the hierarchy in the room.

I do believe it was a negotiated item but I don't know the history of it. The center I work at you see straight sweats on mid shifts.

The tower I visited was having Hawaiian shirt day....it was as awesome as you would think!

Back