At what point are you a pilot?

MissedApproach

Got to thinkin' about this the other day:

-At what point can one consider themselves a pilot?

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055201750MissedApproach">

When you(r)...
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Can take off and land without assistance
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Solo
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Have your PPL
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Primary source of income comes from flying
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Just curious...

Student *Pilot* Certificate says it all
smirk.gif

Gotta say after you solo... anybody can go apply for a student pilot certificate, and anybody can take flying lessons... but it takes something different to actually be able to take off, land, and fly by onesself, ie act as Pilot In Command... after you solo, you are just advancing your piloting skills.

Yeah you're right. I've forgotten you can get a student cert without even leaving the ground....

Agreed... it's when you first write in the 'PIC' column of your book.

Why did so many people put 'PPL'?!

So you weren't 'pilots' when you flew solo in the pattern?

You weren't 'pilots' when you went on your solo cross countries?

You weren't 'pilots' when you applied for your license?

Just curious
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why did so many people put 'PPL'?!

So you weren't 'pilots' when you flew solo in the pattern?

You weren't 'pilots' when you went on your solo cross countries?

You weren't 'pilots' when you applied for your license?

Just curious

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you were a student pilot. In my opinion, you're a pilot when you get get in an airplane with a friend or two, and fly to where-ever you want without being under the direction of your instructor. Thats why I voted for the PPL option.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No, you were a student pilot. In my opinion, you're a pilot when you get get in an airplane with a friend or two, and fly to where-ever you want without being under the direction of your instructor. Thats why I voted for the PPL option.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly!

Only you have beeb deemed worthy by a FAA Examiner! (PPL)

Still earning my worthiness...
wink.gif

DeltaASA16

When you know longer have to think hard about what your doing! It just all sorta' happens. That's when you are a real pilot!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta say after you solo... anybody can go apply for a student pilot certificate, and anybody can take flying lessons... but it takes something different to actually be able to take off, land, and fly by onesself, ie act as Pilot In Command... after you solo, you are just advancing your piloting skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of people that start training but for whatever reason don't solo and eventually quit. They are not pilots. They were attempting to become pilots.

Once you have heard (and felt) the tires touch the ground on your first solo landing, in my book, you have become a pilot. Waiting for an examiner to call you a pilot is not necessary. You enter the club upon your first PIC entry in the log book.

[ QUOTE ]
You enter the club upon your first PIC entry in the log book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree with that. Forget having an examiner deem you a pilot. He wasn't there to deem you pilot enough to solo LOL. As soon as you join the circle of those that can communicate with ATC, get weather, taxi, takeoff, and land you're a pilot.

[ QUOTE ]

No, you were a student pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now come on!!!!! We are always learning, even after that PPL checkride. A lot of us are just pilots to different degrees of skill and/or knowledge.

P.S. - When I say pilot, I only refer to those that have solo'd already.

See I think once you can take off and land by yourself you are a pilot, as it as that point you have all the skills to fly the airplane. But I also think being able to complete a corss country flight should have some part in it, as are you really a pilot if you can not go anywhere?

Well, here's the definition of Pilot as it applies to flying:

Noun:
1)One who flies or is licensed to fly an aircraft.
2)A guide or leader.

Verb:
1)To serve as the pilot of.
2)To steer or control the course of.

So your always a pilot when your controlling the aircraft, but when your not actually flying you are only a pilot when you have a license??? Or if you have ever taken the controls of an aircraft you are forever a pilot???
!BLAH!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly!

[/ QUOTE ]

So are recreational pilots not pilots? I as a student pilot am certainly confident that I could pass the recreational checkride or whatever... I could also fly me and my buddies to wherever, even though Im not licensed to do it. The PPL is only a small step in the pilot totem pole, that I believe a solo student begins.

Recreational Pilot certificate....what a joke. You'd have to be the ultimate in lazy to not just get your private.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055522637pilot602">

250 hours?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />When you realize 250 hours is not nearly enough time (nor all that impressive) to get paid to do this crzy thing called flying with any kind of rational chance of not killing yourself.
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

I have 300 so I'm good to go!

/sarcasm:eek:ff

Back