at a crossroads...

Well the grass is always greener on the other side. SBE I would say keep flying, and just try to keep your options open and eventually you will fall into one career. Whatever you like doing most, eventually you will have found that you've spent a lot of time doing that and before you know it you'll think, well I might as well do this for my career now. That's how I got involved in aviation. I just liked flying everyday and pretty soon I had a lot of flying hours and a big debt-- the start of an aviation career!

Doug, commercial real estate? I figured if you weren't an airline pilot, you would do something with computers. Of course, I had a computer engineer that took up flying as a career because he said working with computers was EXACTLY like the movie Office Space. And my student that recently had trouble with his checkride does commercial real estate -- and he flies just about everyday to get away from the office!

Anyway it's true --- Why are adults always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up???? It's because we're looking for ideas!
laugh.gif

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Thoreau

Quote in the corner of a picture of a 727 on top of some clouds, hanging in my office. My wife got it for me a long time ago when the airline career was looking less than certain and I had expressed some doubts.

You are a very talented person. Horses scare the %^*$ out of me. Too far to fall.

Dave

"You're always right where you're supposed to be". I don't know who said it (or even if I typed it verbatim), but it's an adage that's been right on the money for me. I'm 29 now and often think to myself "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

Truth be told, I probably wasn't ready "sooner" and, quite honestly, am better off (at least psychologically) for having waited. I like to think of aviation like a track meet - if you keep at it, stay persistent, and maintain a good attitude throughout the race (sic), then you'll reach your goal.

I could probably wax philosophical about taking chances in life, but everyone's heard 'em a million times. Good luck, and don't look back!
bandit.gif

just came back today and caught a couple of new responses, thanks guys. Since I started this thread, things have changed and my attitude has changed. I passed the CSEL ride, and am starting into CFI material now. Hope to have it and my CFII finished by year's end.

I was going through a period of questioning everything I was doing, mostly due to being so very tired of training the horses. I realized money isn't everything, and did NOT take on that extra horse. In fact, I'm getting rid of one horse in a couple of weeks, and then another is going home in early July. Then I'll be down to only one training horse and two students who take lessons weekly. It will make money a bit tighter, but I'll still be ok to get my CFI/II finished off.

I realized that it wasn't worth killing myself to make things happen, and I realized it was the extra job that was making me a bit sour on changing careers. I told myself 'slow down'! and voila, I'm as pumped as ever about flying.

I had a very positive experience last week in regards to my ability to teach right here in town once I finish my CFI (don't want to go into details yet!!), and then over the weekend I had an accident that could have been much, much worse...and those two things really lit a fire under me to get my CFI taken care of. (the accident was a horse one - a horse fell against a divider I was trying to latch in the trailer, crushing my arm in between the divider and the wall, and resulting in an afternoon-long visit at the ER - I then realized I've GOT to get away from doing this).

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement, I've got my motivation and my determination back on track after a couple of months of wondering, and I keep telling myself "Sarah, you only live once...." I can't wait to make the transition to instructing evenings and weekends. Stay tuned.

Thanks again.

Sarah

Whatever you do, be happy. If it causes you stress, decide if it is important to continue. If not, do whatever you need to do to make the changes necessary. My wife left her job as a Forensic Technician (CSI type stuff) due to the stress and unhappiness. She loved the work, but hated the politics and being treated like a child. We now have a restaurant (Doug, if you get more than a few days off swing by....) and my wife could not be happier. Though, this was never a plan. She wanted to open an art gallary type place and ended up with an Espresso/Deli/Art type place
crazy.gif
, but she is very happy.

We are (hopefully) opening up our second restuarant within a year and a half. But we are happy in our combined endeavour. Currently I am a Police Sergeant, whom may get to fly a PD plane (if we get one). If not, I think I just want us to succeed at our business and purchase a plane (tax write-off
wink.gif
to fly for our biz. We'll see.

By the way, I remember when I though people age 30 were old...... Now that I am 33, I still feel young and hopefully look young, just everything hurts a little more. What will I be like at 60???????? Good luck. And if all else fails, remember one thing ,"PLASTICS".......
wink.gif

Back