Asiana Pilots Fault Equipment Malfunction in SFO Crash

I saw that earlier today, and I'm with you. If you're letting Otto fly the plane, it's your job to make sure he isn't screwing up.

I've had autopilots do things I didn't expect. I was watching closely enough to disengage the thing, fly the airplane, then figure it out. And us little guys don't always have that nice autopilot disconnect tone. We have to, umm...., fly our airplanes?

I know this seems to be an opposite case, but too many people seem to forget that there's a big red button on the yoke. If the autopilot is doing ANYTHING you didn't expect, press it. Sort it out when you have time.

I saw that earlier today, and I'm with you. If you're letting Otto fly the plane, it's your job to make sure he isn't screwing up.

I've had autopilots do things I didn't expect. I was watching closely enough to disengage the thing, fly the airplane, then figure it out. And us little guys don't always have that nice autopilot disconnect tone. We have to, umm...., fly our airplanes?

I know this seems to be an opposite case, but too many people seem to forget that there's a big red button on the yoke. If the autopilot is doing ANYTHING you didn't expect, press it. Sort it out when you have time.
Let's just hope that those cork soakers never fly a commercial aircraft again.

They say the AT disengaged on its own. I dont buy that as a valid excuse for putting a perfectly flyable airplane ( even if it did mysteriously disengage) into the ground. Your job is to fly the airplane and monitor how its behaving, especially during final. Good luck with that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/pilots-airline-fault-equipment-asiana-crash-20508802
Scary. I know a total of zero pilots who simply let the autothrottles manage the speed unsupervised. In the light(er) twin, they're dumb to the point that you have to override them a fair amount of the time anyway.

A/T on a perfect clear day ?
UF1mhCa.gif

They say the AT disengaged on its own. I dont buy that as a valid excuse for putting a perfectly flyable airplane ( even if it did mysteriously disengage) into the ground. Your job is to fly the airplane and monitor how its behaving, especially during final. Good luck with that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/pilots-airline-fault-equipment-asiana-crash-20508802

This one time I inadvertently and unknowingly bumped a button, and the autopilot mysteriously disengaged on its own. It was really weird 'cause I didn't even notice it until I was 100 ft below MDA over the FAF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

And the didn't hear the very loud ap disengage aural warning ? I'm not sure about the 777, but when you disengage the ap in the 340 you notice it, furthemore a quick instrument scan will show you what's on or off....

And the didn't hear the very loud ap disengage aural warning ? I'm not sure about the 777, but when you disengage the ap in the 340 you notice it, furthemore a quick instrument scan will show you what's on or off....
Autopilot or autothrottle? The A/T disconnect sound on the light(er) twin is a quick series of 4 beeps (caution beeper). Pretty sure that's common among other more recent Boeing products.

Balling one in because of an automation failure seems almost as bad as, "well we suck at visual approaches."
So you mean to tell me not only are you incapable of flying an airplane with reference to visual cues outside the cockpit, but you have no inside the cockpit scan that includes airspeed to?
Fantastic.

Balling one in because of an automation failure seems almost as bad as, "well we suck at visual approaches."
So you mean to tell me not only are you incapable of flying an airplane with reference to visual cues outside the cockpit, but you have no inside the cockpit scan that includes airspeed to?
Fantastic.

True story

Well if Asiana is going to blame equipment malfunction instead of pilot malfunction then it's fair to say I won't be flying on this airline... Ever... If the airline is too stupid to see that the real cause is inadequate training in a minor failure situation, then I really don't want to see how much the airline really gets away with. Whether you blindly operate the airplane like nothing ever happens, or willfully fly an airplane knowing full well you have not adequately trained, and you don't know your airplane and the things that can bite you, there is no excuse... Pilots get paid to do things right when it all goes wrong...

You had one job...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Asiana-Airlines/Boeing-777-28E-ER/2296658/L/

Well if Asiana is going to blame equipment malfunction instead of pilot malfunction then it's fair to say I won't be flying on this airline... Ever... If the airline is too stupid to see that the real cause is inadequate training in a minor failure situation, then I really don't want to see how much the airline really gets away with. Whether you blindly operate the airplane like nothing ever happens, or willfully fly an airplane knowing full well you have not adequately trained, and you don't know your airplane and the things that can bite you, there is no excuse... Pilots get paid to do things right when it all goes wrong...

You had one job...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Asiana-Airlines/Boeing-777-28E-ER/2296658/L/
I don't know why you'd fly on any Korean airline. After all the wonderful information became widely available after the crash. Read the Delta audit(or whatever is was called) of KAL.

I don't know why you'd fly on any Korean airline. After all the wonderful information became widely available after the crash. Read the Delta audit(or whatever is was called) of KAL.

To be fair this thread was about Asiana, so I was only stating my lack of preference for that airline, though I do agree and have read stuff about a lot of other foreign carriers that you can guarantee I will never step foot on.

Let's just hope that those cork soakers never fly a commercial aircraft again.
I taught chinese cadets and those are the little buggers that will be PIC on jumbos in a few years. I feel bad making generalizations, but I would imagine a lot of airline pilots in other parts of the world should never fly a commercial aircraft again. I've had students almost roll me in a Seminole, after yelling and more training pass a simple checkride, then start A320 or 737 training a few weeks later back in China. You think watching the captain watch the autopilot for a few years will prepare them to be a good airline captain? Good luck with that

"Gosh, I got screwed by Flight Level Change..."

"One of the three pilots in the Asiana cockpit told investigators after the accident that he thought the plane's automatic throttle was maintaining speed as the plane descended to land, but later discovered it wasn't sending power to the engine, Hersman told reporters in briefings following the accident."

Which is what happens when you bug field elevation in the altitude select window and select flight level change with the autopilot off...

The equipment didn't fail, the pilots understanding of the equipment did....

Back