ASA Program Canned?

kdwilkes

I heard another rumor today that ASA canned the Direct Track program with FSA because ASA plans on phasing out their Brasilla aircraft which will leave several pilots needing positions on the CRJs. Anybody else hear anyhting about this?

Yes thats true. As far as I know the program isn't over, just delayed for a long period. It probably isn't a smart idea to come here planning on doing ASA, its irregular and from what I hear, the interviews are quite selective.

Not really...there are only a few people in the current ASA class (6, I think) and I don't know if they'll continue and be picked up since they were given COE's before this or what. ASA restarted the program, they knew (I think everyone knew) this was coming, so I'm sure they thought it through. They are still getting CRJ deliveries. I'll go check to see how many more they have in firm orders to be delivered. The Bra-killya guys won't be sitting around. Basically, ASA knew this was coming and I'm sure they planned for it, they probably already have conversion lines for these guys. Plus, we aren't talking about a lot of guys, they've been steadily reducing the number of Brasilias for a long time.

Chunk

I heard that the people currently with COE's were only going to complete the first half of the program. After they recieved firm class dates (mabye next year sometime?) they would come back and finish off the Saab 2000 and seneca flying so they could have some semblance of currency going into ASA ground school.

Flight Safety continues to advertise this program on their website. Why did they trumpet the return of the ASA program when they knew it was never going to get off the ground? That's the flight school BS I'd expect from some other schools but not FSA.

I doubt they knew. What did you want them to advertise? " It's back, but for how long we don't know!?!?"

I don't think it'll be gone that long. ASA is still hiring and growing. That being sad, a smart pilot always has a plan B and maybe a plan C.

Chunk

Hey Chunk75 - I visited the link on the "ASA" situation and all I saw was talk about ACA. Confused??? Or, were you just pointing out how ACA was going about their business as a reflection of what ASA will do?

Been watching the FSI posts for a while but as yet, never chimed in.

I want them to hold off offering a program until they can sustain it. I'm a big fan of FSA, but advertising a first officer slot with ASA when they know it's dead for the time being is wrong. Chunk, I have read how you blasted other schools for marketing lies, and I applaud your stance, but prospective students read how they can complete the ASA program at FSA and interview for a job when that is simply not the case at the moment. Have the program or put it on hold....don't list it on the web site knowing it is dead for now.

The website is always out of date, even with the new site design. I think some really up to date data updated weekly or so would help.

So, the ASA program is on hold for who knows how long, and there is a rediculous waiting list to be a flight instructor at FSA. Is the instruction and contacts worth paying the big bucks for a prospective student? I'm about to submit my deposit, and I'd like to know if the current students think the program is worth the money and moving?

That is *exactly* what went through my head a month ago before I sent in my deposit. I was very agitated about the whole situation, and as a stress reliever I went flying with an old friend who is also furloghed from USAirways. His advice was this: don't focus so closely on the next year or so, have the big picture in mind. A lot of us think only about getting through flight school and instructing, when in the larger picture of a career it's just a first step. That's natural, since it's all we know at this point. I do believe FSI provides a superior foundation for a career, with academics and additional training (acro, disorientation, CRM, systems, etc) even though there may be a wait to instruct.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is the instruction and contacts worth paying the big bucks for a prospective student?

[/ QUOTE ]
FSI is not about contacts. It is about quality, professional instruction. Don't pay the money to go here if you are looking for contacts or to "beef up" your resume with FlightSafety's name. Pay the money to go here because you know you will be receiving some of the best training in the aviation industry. I hate being $60,000 in debt, but I love the fact that I have been trained by true aviaition professionals and also knowing that I am a safe pilot. FSI trains you and prepares you for a job with Part 121 and 135 operators by giving you the knowledge and training to earn a job on your own and not through the use of contacts. If I were deciding on a school to attend tomorrow, I would whole-heartedly choose FlightSafety. And no, I don't work in Marketing!
smile.gif

I will have to say that it is unfortunate that the ASA program has been put on hold since I was set to interview in January. But like Chunk said, a good pilot always has a plan B. Mine is to wait to instruct at FSA. As most of you know I recently came back to FSA because the school I was at in Phoenix (Worstwind) sucked. I came back for the QUALITY of training that FSA offers that no other school can match. By the time I get to 1200+ hours and am ready to interview I will have been better prepared and have more multi-engine instrument experience than the next guy/gal coming out of any another school in the U.S.. That my friends is why we come to FSA. Good day, ILS

Here's a pretty good discussion point.

If you attend a school for the quality of flight training, rather than a "short cut" program that may or may not be around by the time you finish the program, you won't be dissapointed.

I just want to set this thread straight. The ASA direct track program is not suspended. It is continuing as planned. The next group of candidates are starting their training on December 2nd. The concept of it being "on or off" rides on whether or not ASA has a new hire indoc class available in January, February, March, Etc. As long as they plan the indoc., FSI will start a new group here in Vero.

The word came down that ASA was grounding all their EMBs so they would be busy training the EMB crews for the RJ and therefor wouldn't be able to have new hire classes for a few months, but this information was incorrect. The EMB phase out is planned to be gradual not immediate so ASA currently plans to have new hire indoc for the beginning months of 2003.

I agree with the notion that you shouldn't plan on any program being in exhistence when you begin your training. I started in November of last year and beleive me, nothing was going on. All of me friends thought I was nuts - starting a career in the immediate aftermath of 9-11. But I went ahead and things have worked out very well so far. My humble suggestion is that if you want a career as an airline pilot, just plow ahead and keep flying any way possible. The most important test you'll take as a new pilot is a test of your commitment in the face of the thousand or so changes you'll experience throughout your career.

For the record I don't work for FSI but I did go there.

Good luck.
smile.gif

I am nearing the end of my comercial/instrument/multi training at Flight Safety, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think the training you get here is well worth the premium price you pay. Just be ready to work hard, and have a plan B and plan C, and you will be fine.

Back