ASA Pilots ROCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Aloft makes a valid point. I wouldn't want to see the majors crippled further, and I don't want to take sides on something I know little about. I certianly would love to be sitting at a major some day. But seeing as regional pay is now at a reasonable level and rising along with the fact that they fly better equipment, what makes major pilots think all regional pilots want to move up to the majors? Therefore if regional pilots are being selfish with the whole RJDC thing by trying to destroy the majors, aren't the major pilots being just as selfish trying to limit regional growth? I'm not trying to start any flame wars or heated arguments over this, but it seems to me that BOTH sides have solely their own interests in mind. And reading some of the threads on Flightinfo, both sides appear to be trying to make themselves look more righteous then the other.

Nah, on second thought, do a search in the forums on the topic.

I thought about going back into it, but considering that I've watched one of my best friends turn from a gregarious, fun loving guy to a semi-depressed person who's lost all hope after he got furloughed, you've got to be kidding to think that I'm going to have any sympathy for the RJDC, who is suing me and my fellow pilots during the absolute most abyssmal time that I've seen in professional aviation.

I like how I'm holding the RJDC's career back when I'm getting booted out of DFW because of massive mainline cuts.

Get real.

[ QUOTE ]
But seeing as regional pay is now at a reasonable level and rising along with the fact that they fly better equipment, what makes major pilots think all regional pilots want to move up to the majors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is also part of the whole problem. A lot of those CMR guys DON'T want to go the mainline Delta, they would rather stay at CMR and drive RJs. Also a lot of those guys hold a lot of resentment toward the mainline pilots. They also want one combined senority list based on date of hire....the mainline MEC says a stapled list is the only way it would happen, which would put CMR guys on the street. So I totally understand them not wanting to agree to that. What people don't realize is that it is CMR company policy that a fuloughed pilot has give up their senority number....that not something decided on by the MEC or the pilots...that a mangement decision. Comair also has a policy to give preference to any furloughed ALPA pilot...but again your seniority number must go if hired. I totally understand that too....furloughed USAir/American Eagle/Mesaba pilots flying for CMR gave up their numbers...as people are fond of saying "rules are rules". I'm not trying to be a jerk...but myself I would like to fly for CMR eventually....but I have no intention of going to mainline DL,nothing personal...but I really don't think I would fit in there. If I don't make it to the airine that I want...I rather stay at CMR. So I can see how those pilots feel.

I feel for those guys out there who are furloghed and are trying to get a flying gig, either temporary or permanantly. But on the other hand, the reason Comair has sustained its steady pilot hiring, post 9/11, is due to not having a flow through agreement with Delta. Look at Continental Express and American Eagle. Both have flow through agreements. When it was time to furlough mainline guys the junior Regional guys got furloughed to make room for the furloughed mainline guys. Comair is just trying to protect itself and it's pilots. They don't want to be put out by fulrloughed mainline Delta pilots. Comair also utilizes its academy to fill F/O postions. I don't know how Comair Avition Academy would stay profitable without having a bunch of there instructors hired. Maybe I'm perceiving this agreement wrong. I also don't want to start any arguments or flamewars over this. Everyone has there own feelings over the matter of Comair's refusal. Doug and other Delta Pilots, have the right to feel how they feel and Comair Pilots have the right to feel they way the feel. If I were a Comair Pilot, I know I'd do anything to protect my wellbeing. If I was a fuloughed pilot, and I needed a job to feed my family, I wouldn't hesitate to drop my seniority number if offered a job. Hopefully soon the tides will turn and the airline industry will get back on it's feet and hiring will be on the rise for everyone. That might be wishful thinking, but hey ya got to believe in something!

Ok, we never asked for a flowthru with Comair. It was pretty simple, if you support preferentially hiring a furloughed pilot without resigning his seniority number, we'll reciprocate when things turn around.

The ASA leadership said "sure", Comair leadership threw a bunch of stipulations and pretty much told us to get lost.

Here's the worst part of this thread. The whole situation pisses me off so incredibly that I'm once again closing the thread.

Why? This website is largely a volunteer effort and this is a highly emotional issue for me that I've had to explain at least 4 times over the past year and this just isn't the website for yet another grudgefest when it comes to this topic. Nope, not in my house.

Before I get email about "ack! my freedom of speech is being violated", make sure you at least review it before calling the ACLU. In fact, I'll even give you the telephone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back