ASA Gear up landing at ATL yesterday

Rocketman99

Frozen Guppy Manipulator
Hey, I was looking around haven't seen any threads on here (mods please delete if I missed it) about the ASA RJ who had the gear up landing yesterday in ATL. A buddy on the ramp at the time sent me a picture. Ended up off the runway but no injuries I believe. Anyone have specific details?

Hey, I was looking around haven't seen any threads on here (mods please delete if I missed it) about the ASA RJ who had the gear up landing yesterday in ATL. A buddy on the ramp at the time sent me a picture. Ended up off the runway but no injuries I believe. Anyone have specific details?

Full stop landing, I take it?

That article gave very little info. You would think this would have gotten coverage in the wake of the roasting the regionals have gotten of late. Then again, I guess that's exactly why it didn't - we (regional pilots) did something right...

That article gave very little info. You would think this would have gotten coverage in the wake of the roasting the regionals have gotten of late. Then again, I guess that's exactly why it didn't - we (regional pilots) did something right...

Maybe certain airline officials are making sure it doesn't get press.

The last thing regional airlines want is their pilots making good. It'd only support the cause that we deserve better treatment than we get.

The last thing regional airlines want is their pilots making good. It'd only support the cause that we deserve better treatment than we get.

OK, I don't tote the company line, but come on.

Airlines don't like incidents of any magnitude to have ANY press. Same reason they use roller paint and cover names and logos as best they can after an accident.

Nothing to do with the pilots.

Most companies scheduling has the foresight of Mr. Magoo, and if you read the reactionary moves management makes, it seems a decent conspiracy for the pilot group is way beyond their abilities.

At least a conspiracy that involves using bankruptcy to force concessions on all employees and break obligations they signed on for.

EDIT: and why would the press be interested? How would it sell advertising? It's not a jet floating in the water, or a burning pile of metal. Look at the Kalitta incidents in Belgium and Columbia. Hell, the crew in Iraq that flew the DHL A300 around the patch with no flight controls.

Pilot error causes a crash so that must mean pilots need more money and time off. Pilot handles an emergency well pilots deserves more money. So no matter what happens you see it as a reason to pay pilots more.

Same reason they use roller paint and cover names and logos as best they can after an accident.

I remember driving by Burbank airport after Southwest's little incident there and seeing the big orange and brown airplane parked between two hangar rows with the titles painted over and thinking, "hey... that airplane could belong to anybody..."

;)

Pilot error causes a crash so that must mean pilots need more money and time off. Pilot handles an emergency well pilots deserves more money. So no matter what happens you see it as a reason to pay pilots more.

I try to stay out of the regional payfest squabbles, but earnestly, you strike me as the sort of ambitious-in-a-pathetic-way dead-eyed model-UN nerd that deserves, regardless of party affiliation, the most hardcore blanket party imaginable. You freely admit that you don't have any idea wtf you're talking about, but nevertheless, talk you do, and at high volume. You missed a career as a politican.

I try to stay out of the regional payfest squabbles, but earnestly, you strike me as the sort of ambitious-in-a-pathetic-way dead-eyed model-UN nerd that deserves, regardless of party affiliation, the most hardcore blanket party imaginable. You freely admit that you don't have any idea wtf you're talking about, but nevertheless, talk you do, and at high volume. You missed a career as a politican.

I believe Killtron is proof that Frank Lorenzo and Glen Tilton did in fact conceive a child.

Remember what I told you in the last thread? That applies here...

LOL!

I noticed this was editted by a mod, so I can only imagine how much better the original sentiment must have been! :)

Your stance is interesting, as you seem to have very little time in aircraft where the gear isn't welded down already anyways.

The important thing is though, were either of the cockpit crew former Gulfstreamers? :rolleyes:

OK, I don't tote the company line, but come on.

Airlines don't like incidents of any magnitude to have ANY press. Same reason they use roller paint and cover names and logos as best they can after an accident.

Nothing to do with the pilots.

Most companies scheduling has the foresight of Mr. Magoo, and if you read the reactionary moves management makes, it seems a decent conspiracy for the pilot group is way beyond their abilities.

At least a conspiracy that involves using bankruptcy to force concessions on all employees and break obligations they signed on for.

EDIT: and why would the press be interested? How would it sell advertising? It's not a jet floating in the water, or a burning pile of metal. Look at the Kalitta incidents in Belgium and Columbia. Hell, the crew in Iraq that flew the DHL A300 around the patch with no flight controls.

Point taken. Perhaps I am giving those company types way too much credit. But still, it's wise not to underestimate one's opponent.

But still, it's wise not to underestimate one's opponent.

That's true, but the problem with most pilots, and I'm starting to see this, is we're so pilot-centric, we can't step back and see things for what they are.

Are there managers who go out of their way to torque pilots? Yes. I can give you more examples from my 18 months at my current employer with a former VP than I could of malicious stuff in 9 years at crap wagon super growth regional #1.

Most airlines can't properly staff airplanes or re-route crews during abnormal operations.

Even no matter how many times that it happens, they repeat the same silly mistakes over and over and over and over to the same results. What's that the very definition of?

They always set up a "team" designed to look at approaching weather systems or other abnormal things that jam up a system. Yet with all this "forward planning", you end up with crews in divert stations that are timed out. Now you have jets sitting on the ground, crews burning duty time, and the longer this goes on, and the larger the operation, the longer it takes. So about the time they dig out of a hole, the next one is opening up.

Or look at the growth/contraction cycles. They know growth is coming, so instead of slowly ramping up training and being able to meet or exceed the staffing requirements, they wait until airplanes show up, then run 2-3 months behind in training because they wanted to wait. But a small hiccup? Furlough 10% effective yesterday

The real deal is management is concerned with the bottom line. It's impersonal. If they can save 10% of crewing costs, they'll do it. It's not that they hate you or your coworkers, they just don't care.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the end of the day. As much as we hate it, we are just assets to them like plane or a bag cart.

That's true, but the problem with most pilots, and I'm starting to see this, is we're so pilot-centric, we can't step back and see things for what they are.

Are there managers who go out of their way to torque pilots? Yes. I can give you more examples from my 18 months at my current employer with a former VP than I could of malicious stuff in 9 years at crap wagon super growth regional #1.

Most airlines can't properly staff airplanes or re-route crews during abnormal operations.

Even no matter how many times that it happens, they repeat the same silly mistakes over and over and over and over to the same results. What's that the very definition of?

They always set up a "team" designed to look at approaching weather systems or other abnormal things that jam up a system. Yet with all this "forward planning", you end up with crews in divert stations that are timed out. Now you have jets sitting on the ground, crews burning duty time, and the longer this goes on, and the larger the operation, the longer it takes. So about the time they dig out of a hole, the next one is opening up.

Or look at the growth/contraction cycles. They know growth is coming, so instead of slowly ramping up training and being able to meet or exceed the staffing requirements, they wait until airplanes show up, then run 2-3 months behind in training because they wanted to wait. But a small hiccup? Furlough 10% effective yesterday

The real deal is management is concerned with the bottom line. It's impersonal. If they can save 10% of crewing costs, they'll do it. It's not that they hate you or your coworkers, they just don't care.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the end of the day. As much as we hate it, we are just assets to them like plane or a bag cart.

Well said, sir. I suppose that emotional response is hard to remove from one's thinking in our position as pilots. Our lives and our livelihoods depend on the ideas and management of people that push paper around from 9 to 5. When we bear the brunt of their mistakes, it's all too easy to spin up and lose clear sight of the situation.

Patience and objectivity will have to be my watchword in the days ahead.

Sounds advice, as always, man.

Back