ASA Furloughs

surreal1221

From my very trusted source - 80 people. Announcement from the company shortly.

February 9th.

#1 of the 80 has a 1/28/2008 DOH, #80 has a 5/5/2008 DOH.

One of the guys in my crashpad got his this morning. What a sucker punch after all th -900 cheer and happiness. Unlike the rumors for notices on the 2nd, I didn't even hear a whiff of a rumor about this. :mad::mad::mad:

That sucks big time. Hopefully, this will be the last of the furloughs...

One of the guys in my crashpad got his this morning. What a sucker punch after all th -900 cheer and happiness. Unlike the rumors for notices on the 2nd, I didn't even hear a whiff of a rumor about this. :mad::mad::mad:

To put it like Wayne Campbell "Are you mental?" You do realize to get 10 900's, 20 200's are going away. That equals net loss in jobs. Just your top 50 pilots get payed more.

Yeah, but the 20 -200s weren't going away until 2010, so those people could "rest easy." remember?

That sucks guys. Josh, you got any plans on the burner?

;) Not really looking to fly during this period unless it is to go back to instructing (believe it or not). With the little one on the way, and in school full time as well, I'm simply looking to maintain the same level of income without having to dip into our emergency funds.

"With the little one on the way, and in school full time as well, I'm simply looking to maintain the same level of income without having to dip into our emergency funds."

Surreal - I'm very sorry to hear about the furlough. Your lost entry caught my attention though and raised my admiration - are you a full time student and an airline pilot? How were you managing that?

I just try to manage my time appropriately. My days off are spent focusing on my school work so that if I'm called during my reserve availability I don't have to worry about school.

I'm finishing my undergrad degree with Troy University out of Troy, Alabama. www.troy.edu

They offer numerous liberal arts degrees online as well as through various campuses across the southeast.

Word from company representatives is no recalls during 2009 unless the status quo changes (significant increase in block hours) but with that said Spring 2010.

Sorry to hear that, Surreal.

FWIW, I believe that things happen, for a reason. It is hard to see it, in the moment, but anytime these types of events have effected me, I've always been able to see, later on, that it was for a greater good. Hopefully this time will allow you to focus on school, and spend time with your soon to be new born baby.

I doubt you will have much trouble getting some form of employment, matching, or coming close to your income (assuming first year FO). I made over $20K as a first year ramper for a regional airline, with very minimal over-time. There are jobs, even in this economy.

Good luck! I am sure you will make it out just fine.

For what it's worth, AirTran management said the same thing about no recalls till '10, but we've already recalled half of our furloughed pilots after only a few months on furlough. Things can change quickly.

Back