ASA Furloughs

Thanks guys. It is what it is. All of us are aware of the minefield that is flying part 121, or at least I expect all of us are.

Here's to 2009.

Sorry to hear about the ASA furloughs. Were there any downgrades planned as well?

Regarding number of aircraft/ the 900's etc. My understanding is that more than anything else, it's block hours that determine staffing levels at most airlines. Sure it makes sense that the more block hours, the more pilots and planes you need, but with a block hour reduction you can technically utilize your aircraft less (same # of aircraft) using fewer pilots.

Either way, hopefully for some ASA pilots this will be a good way out of the industry for those who want to leave. Sometimes it's easier just to get a kick in the butt rather than spending month after month weighing your options.

Sorry to hear about the furloughs. I am going on month four of being furloughed from a different company. Keep your head up. Like someone else already said, things happen for a reason.

Sorry to hear it surreal. However it sounds like you have planned properly and are still taking steps forward with your college and all. Good luck to everyone in the bottom 80 at ASA.

Sorry to hear that man! Sounds like you have a good handle on things though.

As for the dispatcher question. I haven't personally been a dispatcher, but know quite a few through my days as a firefighter. It's not a bad gig at all - especially if you can leave it all at work. Generally speaking, I would think well trained commercial pilots would be excellent at it. Much of it is procedural, but there's a lot of technique in keeping radio traffic to a minimum while maintaining a high level of communication. Also, the scheduling might be ideal for continuing your schooling. Many times, the shifts are 12 or 24 hours - day on, day off, day on, 5 off. You're already used to an abnormal schedule, but this way you'll be close to home - which is pretty cool when you have a new born.

What are you studying through Troy anyway?

ANYONE that is or is about to be furloughed needs to buy and read: 150 Best Recession Proof Jobs by Laurence Shatkin.

This book is just as valuable as the AIM at this point.

Wouldn't it be more advantageous to list them? :) Else I'm afraid one of the 150 might be "write a book about 149 other 'recession proof' jobs"

Didn't expect this after the 900s. Good luck buddy. No more opentime for me. Hope everyone companywide will follow

Back