Arik Air Cadet Program

typhoonpilot

Arik Air of Nigeria is is starting a cadet program for pilots with 300 hours total time.

Check it out here

For those who don't know, Arik is a well capitalized and run private carrier operating CRJs, B737s and A340-500s as well as a Hawker 800XP.

Typhoonpilot

US State Department Travel Warnings
Visitors to Nigeria, including American citizens, have been victims of armed robbery on the airport road from Lagos and Abuja during both daylight and nighttime hours. Some visitors and resident Americans have experienced armed muggings, assaults, burglary, kidnappings, and extortion, often involving violence, as well as carjackings, roadblock robberies, and armed break-ins.

I think I'll pass on this one....

Heck, if I was single, qualified, looking for work and some adventure, I'd be all over that!

I'm not kidding either.

You've got all your life to watch circular irrigated crops over fly-over country.

Arik

A friend of mine (now on leave or furloughed from a US operator) whom I went to college with is flying for Arik Air.

She is having a great time so far.

I would be surprised if lots of young, adventurous Americans didn't take a serious run at this opportunity or others like it when they appear. Maybe it's a good deal, maybe it's not. You can't win if you don't enter.

I know people who know people who know the two folks at Arik Air. They seem to be doing rather well.

The one thing I can tell you from 35 years of US 121 experience (and the tunnel vision it brings) is that you need to think outside the US of A these days. You may do a few years outside or maybe your whole career will be "outside". Consider all options.

If you are hellbent on flying an airplane for a living, you probably need to at least factor in, and not dismiss the possibility of, some expat time at some point in your career.

Typhoonpilot, you want to add some words of wisdom here ?

US State Department Travel Warnings
Visitors to Nigeria, including American citizens, have been victims of armed robbery on the airport road from Lagos and Abuja during both daylight and nighttime hours. Some visitors and resident Americans have experienced armed muggings, assaults, burglary, kidnappings, and extortion, often involving violence, as well as carjackings, roadblock robberies, and armed break-ins.

I think I'll pass on this one....

I do believe all of the above happens in the US as well:D In fact take a long walk down Virgina Ave in ATL late at night around Spondivitz. Let me know how its goes:laff:

I do believe all of the above happens in the US as well:D In fact take a long walk down Virgina Ave in ATL late at night around Spondivitz. Let me know how its goes:laff:

I wouldnt take the State departments that lightly. They are put in place in the best interest of its citizens. Do as you will. But I wouldnt compare Nigeria to the US. Especially considering Nigeria is considered to have one of the most corrupt governments in Africa, if not the world.

Nigeria certainly wouldn't be on my top choice of places to live list. That said, expat pilots do live there and manage to survive as do many expats in other fields. In countries like that a person just has to take reasonable precautions for personal safety.

If a young pilot has 300 hundred hours and wants to get a turbo boost to their career in the airlines this may be a decent way to do it. The pilots who are willing to move for career advancment are often the ones who become successful. The ones who limit themselves to a narrow range of choices often end up bitterly disappointed.

Going overseas was the best move I ever made. It can be a challenge at times, but that is one of the things that makes life interesting. If you are adventurous give it a shot. You may end up liking it.

Typhoonpilot

Nigeria certainly wouldn't be on my top choice of places to live list. That said, expat pilots do live there and manage to survive as do many expats in other fields. In countries like that a person just has to take reasonable precautions for personal safety.

If a young pilot has 300 hundred hours and wants to get a turbo boost to their career in the airlines this may be a decent way to do it. The pilots who are willing to move for career advancment are often the ones who become successful. The ones who limit themselves to a narrow range of choices often end up bitterly disappointed.

Going overseas was the best move I ever made. It can be a challenge at times, but that is one of the things that makes life interesting. If you are adventurous give it a shot. You may end up liking it.

Typhoonpilot
I'm not an airline pilot, but that really has been my observation of so many who are in the field in this country.

Going overseas was the best move I ever made. . If you are adventurous give it a shot. You may end up liking it.
Typhoonpilot

TP,

Well said. Going overseas may be a new, but necessary, idea to the young guys these days considering the current state of the US av industry.

I've watched my son and a couple of his good buddies take a serious run at the expat world and they're doing quite well. And once you're in the "club", more doors open. :cool:

Typhoonpilot

Extremely well worded and I 100 percent agree.

=Jason-

What exactly is a cadet program? The website doesn't give any description of the working conditions or job requirements. It says competitive salary, but since I don't know what a "cadet" does, I have know idea what is "competitive" for a cadet position in Nigeria. Anybody have any info about this?

What exactly is a cadet program? The website doesn't give any description of the working conditions or job requirements. It says competitive salary, but since I don't know what a "cadet" does, I have know idea what is "competitive" for a cadet position in Nigeria. Anybody have any info about this?

simply means Arik would train you all the way to your cpl.
then they'd type rate you and all you have to do is work for them
without the option of changing jobs for the next five years.

I actually qualify for the CA opening on the CRJ since I passed 500 TPIC on the CRJ last week. I shot an app in just to see what happens.

No joke, the price for an American head or white one for that matter is worth more than any other race or nationality. Local gangs kill whites for fun, that is why most crews and airlines are locked in their hotels when they go there, some airlines don't even stay. Usually low time European guys try their luck there until they get their thousand hours. Do a search on Nigeria, it's listed as a very dangerous place and the last decade it's become a terrorist haven. The worst part about this would be the contract, a binding contract is probably not a good thing in Nigeria.

Back