Arik Air Cadet Program

nice, i dont even think i have 300 yet. hahah

Seriously? I'm getting close to guarantee every month now.

Not sure if I'm gonna go for this one, though. 2 months away from the wife and kid at a time would be hell. I'd rather have an ex-pat job they could come with....and not live in fear. If I were single, I'd be all over it. I'd just be taking "extra precautions" while over there.

No joke, the price for an American head or white one for that matter is worth more than any other race or nationality. Local gangs kill whites for fun, that is why most crews and airlines are locked in their hotels when they go there, some airlines don't even stay. Usually low time European guys try their luck there until they get their thousand hours. Do a search on Nigeria, it's listed as a very dangerous place and the last decade it's become a terrorist haven. The worst part about this would be the contract, a binding contract is probably not a good thing in Nigeria.

You have to be kidding me....

Seriously? I'm getting close to guarantee every month now.

Not sure if I'm gonna go for this one, though. 2 months away from the wife and kid at a time would be hell. I'd rather have an ex-pat job they could come with....and not live in fear. If I were single, I'd be all over it. I'd just be taking "extra precautions" while over there.

yeah my military career is killing my civilian one. haha, but believe it or not it pays the bills better! I would definitely looking into flying overseas. I plan on applying to an Asian carrier as soon as i get back.

I don't know about Nigeria but same as typhoonpilot, going abroad was the best move I have ever made as a pilot. Keep your options open. I have a good friend that recently finished a six month contract in Nigeria on a CL-604. While he says it was not the best location, the pay was great and he built up quality PIC time which he would not have gotten in the USA. If you do go to a dangerous area such as Nigeria follow all the guidance of those already there. Others have done it before you so you will not be reinventing the wheel. Good luck.

If I were five years younger and 4000 hours lower time, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've never been to Nigeria, but from my brief experiences in Uganda, Africa is what you make of it (I realize they're very far apart and to some degree different). These travel bulletins make it sound like the second you set toe one out of the hotel, you're going to be strung up on a spit...I doubt that's the case. It can't be a whole lot worse than East St. Louis (grin). Use a little common sense, don't sample the local vixens for reasons of disease, meet some people you'd never meet under any other circumstances and come away from the experience with a changed outlook (for better or for worse) on your place in the world. And as someone mentioned earlier, nothing but gloom and doom in the US for the forseeable future. Sounds like a great opportunity. May fortune favor the brave.

Not that I'm going but the submit link doesn't work on the cadet applicaiton. I tried for the fist officer as well but that didn't work either. Just came back with a blank page saying "forbidden". Maybe it's a sign............ lol

Not that I'm going but the submit link doesn't work on the cadet applicaiton. I tried for the fist officer as well but that didn't work either. Just came back with a blank page saying "forbidden". Maybe it's a sign............ lol
Not a sign. I think the cadet program is on hold for now.

If I were five years younger and 4000 hours lower time, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've never been to Nigeria, but from my brief experiences in Uganda, Africa is what you make of it (I realize they're very far apart and to some degree different). These travel bulletins make it sound like the second you set toe one out of the hotel, you're going to be strung up on a spit...I doubt that's the case. It can't be a whole lot worse than East St. Louis (grin). Use a little common sense, don't sample the local vixens for reasons of disease, meet some people you'd never meet under any other circumstances and come away from the experience with a changed outlook (for better or for worse) on your place in the world. And as someone mentioned earlier, nothing but gloom and doom in the US for the forseeable future. Sounds like a great opportunity. May fortune favor the brave.

Yeah, it's not the civil un-rest over there that's keeping me from doing it, it's the 2 months at a time away from my wife and kid. If I could move them over there (and not worry about my kid wouldn't get 'napped on the way to school or my wife get taken while buying groceries or something), I'd be on this in a heartbeat. Same thing if I were single.

Hi everyone.

Don't work in Nigeria myself, but a coworker of mine, his son is a CRJ captain for Arik. Said overall, he likes the job. Paycheck has arrived late 1-2 days a time or two, but that's life in the big city in some of the lesser known contract gigs in dark places. This type of work demands a certain amount of flexibility and patience that you might not need to call upon back in the US.

For the guys/gals who might think they want to give it a shot overseas but are not sure, just go ahead and jump in. I did a couple of years ago, and am still happy, even with the up's and down's ive been put through.

Yes, Nigeria and places like it can be dangerous, but the way I look at it, I only have a certain number of years left on this planet before my time will be up, so why not take a small chunk of my time and do something different with it?

Remember when you were the FO, flying with that really interesting captain who had a lot of stories to tell about his career and life on that 4-day?...Well guess how he ammassed all his tales?.....(or maybe he just completely made it all up to impress you, thats possible too I guess!)

But be open minded and ready to put up with some gnarly-ness in all aspects of your new overseas-pilot life, as someone mentioned in another post, you sure aren't in kansas anymore.....

Good luck!

(oh yea, and the contacts you can make doing this will be invaluable for years to come)

No joke, the price for an American head or white one for that matter is worth more than any other race or nationality. Local gangs kill whites for fun, that is why most crews and airlines are locked in their hotels when they go there, some airlines don't even stay. Usually low time European guys try their luck there until they get their thousand hours. Do a search on Nigeria, it's listed as a very dangerous place and the last decade it's become a terrorist haven. The worst part about this would be the contract, a binding contract is probably not a good thing in Nigeria.

I've been working here in Nigeria for over a year now, and I couldn't disagree with you more!! Sure there is terrorist activities going on here, but they go on everywhere. I have yet to see any violence, nor have a seen any terrorist activity. The terrorism here is based mostly on religion. Christian Churches, police stations, and government buildings seem to be the target. As an american here I have been overwhelmed with the welcoming the Nigerians give.

If you have no sense of adventure this is definitely not the place for you, but if you can pick up the ways of the people here, you fit in no problem. I might be white but within 2 months of working here Nigerians are even calling me Nigerian.

Don't let some bad apples give you a sour taste on all of the amazing people that live here. Make your own decisions rather than regurgitate what you read on the net. There are TONS of happy expats here, and if we hated it we wouldn't have stayed here. I've been out of my contract for a while now and choose to come back on my own. The flying is fun, at the same time challenging.

You will get great experience, amazing stories, and make life long friends.

I agree with Typhoon pilot, becoming an expat was one of the best decisions I've ever made. live life to the fullest, and you wont regret it.

This thread is the exact reason, Id take a job in aussie land...south pacific..or africa...you have to think outside the box. :)

I never considered opportunities like this, I dunno they seem jobs for peoples that live to fly, aviation is not a 24/7 thing for me, so I can`t get all my satisfaction just from that, I need to live in a place that I will enjoy life outside the airport grounds or the shabby expats pub full of prostitutes down the road. I think it`s a great opportunity for those who think long term, the type of experience you can make is sure priceless and will probably bring you far ahead in your career then staying in the US.

Not Nigeria or probably even the same type of flying:

Well not to be the Debbie downer but I have been looking for an overseas opportunity. With 4000TT and two jet types I have come up with nothing. If any of you guys have any leads please feel free to PM me.

Hi everyone.

Don't work in Nigeria myself, but a coworker of mine, his son is a CRJ captain for Arik. Said overall, he likes the job. Paycheck has arrived late 1-2 days a time or two, but that's life in the big city in some of the lesser known contract gigs in dark places. This type of work demands a certain amount of flexibility and patience that you might not need to call upon back in the US.

For the guys/gals who might think they want to give it a shot overseas but are not sure, just go ahead and jump in. I did a couple of years ago, and am still happy, even with the up's and down's ive been put through.

Yes, Nigeria and places like it can be dangerous, but the way I look at it, I only have a certain number of years left on this planet before my time will be up, so why not take a small chunk of my time and do something different with it?

Remember when you were the FO, flying with that really interesting captain who had a lot of stories to tell about his career and life on that 4-day?...Well guess how he ammassed all his tales?.....(or maybe he just completely made it all up to impress you, thats possible too I guess!)

But be open minded and ready to put up with some gnarly-ness in all aspects of your new overseas-pilot life, as someone mentioned in another post, you sure aren't in kansas anymore.....

Good luck!

(oh yea, and the contacts you can make doing this will be invaluable for years to come)
Where do you fly the big Casa at?

Back