Are You Happy With Where You Are?

Who is genuinely happy with where they are in their career/aviation?

• Total voters
Well, I'm certainly quite bitter about that, but I'm more pragmatic than to make a decision based solely on being pissed off for the way we were treated. To me, it's all about QOL. Because of the seniority hit, I'm going to be forced to start commuting again, and it will probably last for 10+ years. I'll finally upgrade after 21+ years from my date of hire, and then I'll be back on reserve nearing the age of 50 and commuting all the way to Oakland. I'll probably be 55 before I'll be able to be based at home in Atlanta as a captain, and I've always based my retirement planning around retiring at that age. In short, being at the bottom of the SWA list was a great place to be 10 years ago. Today? Not so much.

Fair enough, Thanks.

Interesting hearing a different prospective from time to time. You have no idea how often I'm taxing behind an Airtran and my cockpit companion will make a comment like "Lucky bastards!!"

Fair enough, Thanks.

Interesting hearing a different prospective from time to time. You have no idea how often I'm taxing behind an Airtran and my cockpit companion will make a comment like "Lucky bastards!!"

Yeah, your companions might not want to say that when they're asking for an AirTran jumpseat. Might not turn out too well. :)

Yeah, your companions might not want to say that when they're asking for an AirTran jumpseat. Might not turn out too well. :)

Yeah, well I guess you can't be upset with people for not knowing. All of opinions I have gotten regarding the merge has been from Southwest guys, and not Airtran guys.

I'll say this, the Southwest guys certainly have a very specific opinion regarding the merger, and it's pretty fierce.

But that is a different thread.........

Not where I want to be, but I am satisfied.

Very hopeful looking into the future of landing an Airport Operations Career.

I very much wish I was back in AK, but my next base with this company may make up for some of that. This particular gig has become a means to an end and for now I'm satisfied with that.

I'm a retired police officer after 26 years and currently fly for a small corporate dept as a contractor.

The planes are 20 min from my house in NJ, overnights are not the norm. (although I'm currently sitting in Waterloo IA with no departure date/time set as yet!). The folks I'm flying with are all good to work with and I've learned a great deal over the last 13 months.

I believe I'm fairly compensated for being an insurance required SIC on single pilot piston and turboprop twin engine aircraft. I get some PIC as well.

I'd say I'm pretty happy. I'll be really happy if I could parlay this into employment so I know better what to expect both time and finance wise. Hopefully the flying picks up a little so they'll feel a need to hire. Luckily I'm in a position to wait it out for a while longer. (fingers crossed)

When I used to hit ELP on some of my long X/C flight with my students I would catch up with some of you guys crashed out in the lounge at Cutter.

I can't recall speaking to anyone who was, how shall we say, loving life.

I'm not at Sierra West but I know those guys aren't loving their job either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back