Are You Happy With Where You Are?

Who is genuinely happy with where they are in their career/aviation?

• Total voters

jrwit

Looking to Ride-Along
This has been inspired by a myriad of threads I've been reading that show some people are happy, some are not, but I kinda wanted to see how the overall trends are with everyone on the site are.

Feel free to also comment based on your vote

I'm very happy at Airnet. I wouldn't complain if I was paid a little more, but most nights I find myself looking at the lights below wondering how I got so lucky to land a job like this.

I'm very happy, but I was very unhappy the last 4 years. So things can change and what it is now, and what it was, or will be can be very different. It's all a matter of the moment.

My flying is pretty unique, but the lifestyle and QOL are in the crapper. Things could definitely be better.

I've always wanted to do nothing but fly, but if my choices were my current job or a non-flying job, I'd be looking for a desk in a heartbeat.

I have a great time, and enjoy my life, but with one more move in aviation I could be done looking and eventually be home all the time. Things are on track however :)

I've always wanted to do nothing but fly, but if my choices were my current job or a non-flying job, I'd be looking for a desk in a heartbeat.
LOL, well I've been driving an office for 17 years since I dropped my Flight Major at SIU and just took the MDC offer in had that I had.

On most days after dealing with parts obsolescence, angry customers, delayed delivery and odd processes I wished I would have picked flying.

I make great money, but have a hard time wanting to go in the office every morning.

(Funny that grass keeps looking greener...LOL)

;)

I'm mostly in the same boat as cstewart. The pay could be better and the schedule a little better. Oh, and my health insurance that was increased yesterday from $250/mo to $800/mo sucks big time. So I guess I'm reasonably happy with my job, but I guess I don't really now why. I'm still enjoying flying, so that's got to count for something.

I'm happy where I'm at, but going on a year teaching foreign students, I'm definitely looking forward to the next job. I sometimes wonder if I'd enjoy instructing more if my students spoke better Engrish.

LOL, well I've been driving an office for 17 years since I dropped my Flight Major at SIU and just took the MDC offer in had that I had.

On most days after dealing with parts obsolescence, angry customers, delayed delivery and odd processes I wished I would have picked flying.

I make great money, but have a hard time wanting to go in the office every morning.

(Funny that grass keeps looking greener...LOL)

;)

Don't get me wrong, I have the occasional day that I still enjoy my job and the flying that goes with it. But day in, day out, living out of a suitcase in whatever hotel is the hotel of the day has got beyond old. Let me put it this way, I'd rather be sitting on reserve anywhere in the US for 5 days a week than doing what I'm doing now.

I'm happy. I have many good things in my life. Healthy family, good friends, hobbies I'm interested in and my job is to inspect a metal tube and climb in, wave and smile at the people willing to climb in with me and then I take that thing up in the air and look for cool things like neat landmarks and thunderstorms! How could you not like that??

I'm happy where I'm at, it all depends on your perspective.

Currently I'm at a regional trying to support a family on year one pay again after my previous regional went bankrupt.

Before getting into aviation, I was a New York City Police Officer for 5 years. As a police officer I have, been punched, kicked, spit on, sued, broke my hand, been in shootings, spent Fourth of July guarding a prisoner in the pysch ward, Christmas with a DOA waiting for the medical examiner to show, froze my butt standing on a foot post in Janurary, had to get tested several times for AIDS, and had days off denied missing family events.

I witnessed the worst of people on a daily basis, watched politics force good people to lose, my friend's throat was slashed, another was stabbed in the eye with a kitchen knife and have been to too many funerals for officers killed in the line of duty.

I had some good times too as a police officer, but more often then not, coming home at the end of my shift I was both physically and emotionally tired.

Yes being a pilot is hard at times, being away from family, pay issues, and commuting all stinks but I won't trade it for anything else.

About how long did it take for you to get over the novelty of flying planes for a living and having it become just a job?

I'm happy. I have my gripes, but I like what I do, and *gasp*, still enjoy flying airplanes. I've gotten to see a lot of the world, and fly a couple pretty cool airplanes in the process. There are always the types who will let the little things suck any bit of enjoyment out of the job they may have felt, and I feel sorry for them. It's up to you to make your own attitude.

Moral of the story: Don't wait for your job to provide your happiness for you. You'll be in for a long wait.

Back