Approach Plate question

On Jepps

You'll probably notice the letter "D" before the distances, ie; D5.8 IBDR.

Also the frequency box on the plan view that points to the approach feather will actually say: ILS DME and then the approach course, freq, and ID.

on Govt plates, in the upper left corner it says LOC/DME, then the freq under.

on Jepp plates, like lineupandwait said, in the Plan view, it says ILS DME.

on both styles in the profile view the distances say x.x Ixxx. i.e. 6.9 IGFK

Jepp: the loc. frequency box will say ILS-DME. Also, where will be a spiky circle on the plan view around the localizer location.

nuh-uh, not on an ILS. You don't time an ILS for missed approach.
who said ILS? i was talking about an NDB off field approach, which is what we were discussing. i know the original post is about ILS, but those few posts between me and SFCC were about NDB.

are you stalking me or what?

nuh-uh, not on an ILS. You don't time an ILS for missed approach.
Let's change that to "You don't need to time an ILS for missed approach" and avoid the old and pretty much nonsensical aviation version of "do you signal for a turn when driving at 4 AM on deserted streets?"

You would time a ILS if it does have a box, just in case you do have shoot an LOC. But righto on the NDB approach.

:yeahthat:

If it can be timed, then time it.(I realize that sounds pretty vague, but you know what I mean) You never know when something is going to fail, such as your glideslope......

:yeahthat:

If it can be timed, then time it.(I realize that sounds pretty vague, but you know what I mean) You never know when something is going to fail, such as your glideslope......
You brief both the ILS and LOC only approach every time?

I sure don't. I fly an ILS as an ILS. If a component fails, I try a different (sometimes the LOC) approach.

-mini

I time all my ILS approaches but don't brief the LOC portion unless I intend to shoot it as a nonprecision approach for some reason (look at the plate for the ILS/LOC at HQM for a good example). The rationale that my CFII gave me for timing the approach was situational awareness--how do you know when you've reached the MAP if you don't have glideslope and aren't timing? Yes, there's DME, radar, and GPS, but my CFII wanted to train me for a worst-case-scenario.

So, for the "I time the ILS" guys. Where do you start your time? What if the MAP (based on time) is not where the MAP is based on being on the GS @ DA(H)? How do you know you're at the MAP when the time runs out and you're still not at DH?

I like the K.I.S.S. method. I, too, used to say time it. Not anymore.

-mini

I start the time at the fix given in the timing box. If I maintain a steady speed on glideslope and lose the glideslope, all I have to do is maintain that same speed, descend to MDA, and go missed at the given time. I disregard the time if I have glideslope guidance all the way to DA(H). It's an added level of safety and doesn't take that much effort.

Back