Approach Charts

Lima_Charlie

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about getting the Approach charts for as little $$$ as possible? This topic was just brushed over in our groundschool, so I am trying to figure out what kind of options I have. We have an option to buy the SW set and a 4 month starter subscription w/ the leather binder for $178. Is this a good deal? Can it be beat? If so, where!? :) Any other ideas on how manage the updating process??

Thanks, J.

I have an idea- why don't you ask this question about 3 times in the same forum? Maybe you'll get different answers....
tongue.gif

It depends on where you are flying and how often. If you aren't flying much and you don't fly aronud the country much just get the NOS plates for your area as you are on your way to fly. THis is the cheapest. Getting the Jepp subscription is nice and the plate are the best but it not cheap, at all.

I would hardly call AOPA a waste of money. Their magazine alone is worth the dues, not counting everything else they do for GA.

To answer your original question, I think it is highly suspect to just print out charts off the internet. You should have either the NACO or Jeps for your area with you in the aircraft. There are too many bad things that can happen if you only have charts for your destination and an alternate with you. The NACO charts are very inexpensive and any money saved by printing them out is wasted in messing with the computer.

As far as the Jep subscription for a multi state area, I would hold off. Just buy the express pack for your area and see if you even need the other states. After training, I doubt that you will be going that far very often. I personally only have the Jeps for my home state and use NACO charts on the few occasions that I leave the area.

[ QUOTE ]
I would hardly call AOPA a waste of money. Their magazine alone is worth the dues, not counting everything else they do for GA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've no love lost for AOPA, nor are they getting any of my dues. If they do so much for GA, why do so many airports have draconian noise abatement, not to mention the ones that close?

AOPAs magazine has some good content, but that's as far as I go in supporting them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that thought that way about AOPA.

I've just not seen any results other than MILLIONS of user dues being spent, basically thrown away, trying to save the token field in Chicago. Funny thing is, with all spent, I wouldn't have know about Meigs closing unless I read it on the AOPA web site. After all that, it didn't make news even the entire time the millions were being spent. We get months of coverage for pro-level sport figures doing something wrong and going to court, but no word in the news on an issue that is related to all the GA pilots in the country like a field closure.

My home field. Idiots at the local city decided to build a new school off the end of the main runway. Where was AOPA in fighting that? I'll pay the extra $5 per written test, and read the story or two in the mag sitting around at the FBO if I have time.

Oh, and I don't wear ball caps, pet peeve when people try to give them away as though it is something I want
confused.gif

Point is, you don't need AOPA to get the free charts.

Josh

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have know about Meigs closing unless I read it on the AOPA web site. After all that, it didn't make news even the entire time the millions were being spent.

[/ QUOTE ]Where were you?!? I was surprised by the national coverage of Meigs! It was in all the Chicago papers, USA Today, and local(many states other than IL) and National news.

"A new scientific poll published today in the Chicago Tribune indicates that Chicago's citizens widely support the airport, don't believe the Mayor's claims of a terrorist threat, and disagree with Daley's actions in closing Meigs in late March. The support cuts across all lines, race, gender, city vs. suburbs, Democrat vs. Republican."-Friends of Meigs

Keep in mind that the aviation community is only about 1% of the US population. Who do you think the media is trying to impress, us or the other 99%? Notice when the B1900 crashed in CLT, it made the news for weeks because passengers were killed. When the B1900 crashed in HYA, news of it was dropped as soon as the media discovered there were no "passenger" fatalities.

[ QUOTE ]
Idiots at the local city decided to build a new school off the end of the main runway. Where was AOPA in fighting that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Did anyone notify AOPA? Maybe there wasn't a fight necessary. It might not be the smartest thing to build, but there are lots of schools near airports.

If anyone doubts what AOPA is involved in, look at AOPA.org under "advocacy."

By the way, AOPA is not the only group that gets involved in the airport issues. They are usually working along side, NATA, GAMA, NBAA, IATA, EAA and a few other letter combinations.

Mike D, AOPA is fighting the "draconian" noise abatement airports. Namely, SMO, HPN, TEB and APF. Even the FAA has spoken up against these airports.
"The Naples authority is the first in the country to declare a ban on Stage 2
jets under 75,000 pounds. Last year, the authority announced that Stage 2
jets could no longer use the Naples Municipal Airport.

In March, the FAA ruled that the ban was discriminatory and violates federal
law. In particular, the FAA declared that the Stage 2 ban was illegal because it discriminates against a certain type of aircraft."

What is truly "draconian" is the cheap arse CFOs that insist on using stage II aircraft because of the low acquisition cost. Stage III has been in effect for years, so I have no sympathy for operators who complain about noise abatement and refuse to at least get into '80s in technology. If your airplane has a fuel line the size of a sewer pipe, it's time for a newer airplane.

I still don't care for AOPA following the incident I cite in the AOPA thread in the general forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't care for AOPA following the incident I cite in the AOPA thread in the general forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Had a buddy that had been a member for quite a number of years. He tried to utilize their legal defense for action that was being taken against his ATP certificate under the "good moral character" BS. Apparently, post 9/11, the feds began reviewing the police records of all who have FAA licenses. He had on his record a charge which had been dismissed, but had not been expunged from his record. The feds decided to suspend his ATP for a period of 6 months, which he appealed to the NTSB and lost. AOPA didn't choose to offer legal assistance when he inquired regardless of his status as a member.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that AOPA's legal assistance is like an insurance deal. You pay the yearly fee for the legal package, and they'll assist you if you have any problems. I don't think the base membership fee entitles someone to the legal defense assistance that AOPA offers. If your friend didn't pay yearly fee beforehand, why should he get the (probably very expensive) service?

All in all, I think AOPA does a pretty darn good job in trying to advance the cause of the GA population. They have a rather vocal presence in Washington, and with bragging rights of over 400,000 members they can get at least 'some' attention from the major players in the government.

AOPA is also always asking for more help on local issues. They regularly ask for volunteers to keep an eye on local airport issues and report back to headquarters when some additional help is needed. Watching all of the GA airports in this country is way, way too big a job for an organization like AOPA without lots of volunteer help. Anybody want to volunteer? Could be good networking opportunities when you sit in on the airport board meetings....

AOPA, EAA, NBAA, etc., etc.,etc., all are very valuble for the pilot population of this country and deserve our support IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Had a buddy that had been a member for quite a number of years. He tried to utilize their legal defense for action that was being taken against his ATP certificate under the "good moral character" BS. Apparently, post 9/11, the feds began reviewing the police records of all who have FAA licenses. He had on his record a charge which had been dismissed, but had not been expunged from his record. The feds decided to suspend his ATP for a period of 6 months, which he appealed to the NTSB and lost. AOPA didn't choose to offer legal assistance when he inquired regardless of his status as a member.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that AOPA's legal assistance is like an insurance deal. You pay the yearly fee for the legal package, and they'll assist you if you have any problems. I don't think the base membership fee entitles someone to the legal defense assistance that AOPA offers. If your friend didn't pay yearly fee beforehand, why should he get the (probably very expensive) service?

All in all, I think AOPA does a pretty darn good job in trying to advance the cause of the GA population. They have a rather vocal presence in Washington, and with bragging rights of over 400,000 members they can get at least 'some' attention from the major players in the government.

AOPA is also always asking for more help on local issues. They regularly ask for volunteers to keep an eye on local airport issues and report back to headquarters when some additional help is needed. Watching all of the GA airports in this country is way, way too big a job for an organization like AOPA without lots of volunteer help. Anybody want to volunteer? Could be good networking opportunities when you sit in on the airport board meetings....

AOPA, EAA, NBAA, etc., etc.,etc., all are very valuble for the pilot population of this country and deserve our support IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

As explained prior, my friend was paying into their legal fund and still didn't get the help when it was needed. They have no problem taking your money, that's the easy part.

BTW, where's Meigs now? Lot of good AOPA did there. Where'd the defense money for Meigs go?

Like I said, I've got no love lost for them. If they truly doing such a great job, we wouldn't see the draconian airport problems (noise abatement restrictions, etc) that we see at GA airports these days.

I'm an AOPA member. I think they're useful for anyone getting ratings because you get ten dollars off any written exam you take.

I do have some beef with them though. Although there are good articles in the AOPA magazines, those magazines are just inundated with glossy, deceitful flight academy ads and PFT flight training. If they care so much about pilots, they should make sure that aspiring careers pilots aren't lied to and being ripped off and paying 100,000 or more for their pilot ratings then they should!

However, the big flight schools and pft programs pay big bucks to AOPA for their advertising, and as a result, in any AOPA magazine "the airlines are always hiring" especially for those who get "airline training."

[ QUOTE ]
As explained prior, my friend was paying into their legal fund and still didn't get the help when it was needed. They have no problem taking your money, that's the easy part.

[/ QUOTE ]My bad. Missed that your friend was paying into the legal fund. Went back and looked at the complete thread and found:
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike D: Was your friend paying for the "Aopa legal defense fund"? That does not come with the basic dues. Example: a private pilot can get this insurance for an extra $26 per month, comm and ATP are more. So if he just payed his basic membership than he would not receive this. Before anyone asks I do not work for AOPA.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, he had the basic membership and was paying into the defense fund.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just curious, do you know what excuse AOPA gave for not defending your buddy?
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, where's Meigs now? Lot of good AOPA did there. Where'd the defense money for Meigs go?
Like I said, I've got no love lost for them. If they truly doing such a great job, we wouldn't see the draconian airport problems (noise abatement restrictions, etc) that we see at GA airports these days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or, how bad might the situation be if they weren't there to try to stem the tide?

How do you propose we deal with the problems if not through AOPA? If we quit supporting AOPA (and the other alphabet groups), then who do we turn to when the friendly (your town name here) Neighborhood Association tries to close or restrict your local airport?

Just food for thought...

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
How do you propose we deal with the problems if not through AOPA? If we quit supporting AOPA (and the other alphabet groups), then who do we turn to when the friendly (your town name here) Neighborhood Association tries to close or restrict your local airport?

Just food for thought...

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally. AOPA just turned me off with their treatment of my friend. Still though, I see airports like Scottsdale with all their problems, and don't really see AOPA stepping in to those places.

I'm all for working against those that are anti-GA, I just didn't agree with AOPAs handling of this case, and thought it rather unfair towards one of their own members.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for working against those that are anti-GA, I just didn't agree with AOPAs handling of this case, and thought it rather unfair towards one of their own members.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand your feelings on this one. I just don't want to see the baby get tossed because of some stinky bath water, ya know?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand your feelings on this one. I just don't want to see the baby get tossed because of some stinky bath water, ya know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Am trying to keep the two as separate entities.

[ QUOTE ]
I think they're useful for anyone getting ratings because you get ten dollars off any written exam you take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, don't use that logic with anyone, ever again....I suppose if you're taking four written tests in a given year, then it works out. Otherwise, that's a really bad investment....

Unless you voted for Bush....
shocked.gif

(joke)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an AOPA member. I think they're useful for anyone getting ratings because you get ten dollars off any written exam you take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??? I took 3 writtens this year and I'm a member... how's it work?

I like AOPA for a number of reasons:
-5% off aviation credit card
-magazines
-searchable internet database of all magazines
-you can ask 'em pretty much anything via email and get an answer within a day or so
-online weather

For $39 a year it's not too bad a deal...

Back