Approach Charts

[ QUOTE ]

-you can ask 'em pretty much anything via email and get an answer within a day or so

For $39 a year it's not too bad a deal...

[/ QUOTE ]

AOPAs pilot info Q&A (or whatever it's called) people couldn't answer a number of questions in my IFR quiz.
smile.gif

Here's a good question, one that is actually a source of disagreement...

On both of these questions, you're under tower supervision on an ILS approach.

You have the airport in sight, ten miles out and tower clears you for the visual. You lose visual with the airport and subsequentially go missed.

Do you follow the published miss, or do you (in lieu of obstructions) climb straight ahead and ask tower for further instructions?

Personally, I brief "...in lieu of instructions from tower on the missed, I'll fly [the published miss]"

But largely, if you do the published miss at a busy airport, tower is going to lose their minds as far as I've heard.

Discuss discuss!

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a good question, one that is actually a source of disagreement...

On both of these questions, you're under tower supervision on an ILS approach.

You have the airport in sight, ten miles out and tower clears you for the visual. You lose visual with the airport and subsequentially go missed.

Do you follow the published miss, or do you (in lieu of obstructions) climb straight ahead and ask tower for further instructions?

Personally, I brief "...in lieu of instructions from tower on the missed, I'll fly [the published miss]"

But largely, if you do the published miss at a busy airport, tower is going to lose their minds as far as I've heard.

Discuss discuss!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were on the ILS, and subsequently proceed visual, then go popeye again, I'm with you, in lieu of instructions from tower, I'll proceed inbound to the MAP and fly the published remaining (obviously) above LOC MDA. That's where the published missed is valid, not before that point. Granted, at a busy radar tower field, you'd probably be getting vectors/instructions fairly quickly.

Pretty much!

Someone asked the same question during an ATC brief during recurrent in ATL and the controller said, "Dang main, if you went on the published miss..well heck, just start climbing and we'll tell ya the rest!"

Here's a little 'recurrent' gotchya, sometimes your simulator instructor will send you on the missed AFTER the missed approach point, at which time it stops becoming a missed and becomes a "rejected landing". Pretty interesting stuff when it comes to MA procedures that involve lots of climbing and jinking.

Can a civilian use the word "jink"?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Can a civilian use the word "jink"?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got yelled at during a 4-ship flight debrief that I was leading when, during discussion of the attacks I lead, I referred to the post attack maneuvering back to the target IP as "....off-target shuck and jive".

shuck and jive?

Is that like something to do with clams and poor diction?
smile.gif

It was the only adjective that came to mind while I was standing up and presenting the debrief.

Got it from the movie "Blood Guts Bullets and Octane"

......an independant, darn well-made flick.

"adjective"? There ya go with those fancy Paradise Valley city school words again there boy!

[ QUOTE ]
I got yelled at during a 4-ship flight debrief that I was leading when, during discussion of the attacks I lead, I referred to the post attack maneuvering back to the target IP as "....off-target shuck and jive".

[/ QUOTE ]Yelled at by whom? Your CC? DO? Seems to me if it was your debrief, well, it's YOUR debrief. Know what I'm sayin'?

Probably just like the civilian world. Where people build little egomaniacal empires and want to preach.

Kind of like...Me!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yelled at by whom? Your CC? DO? Seems to me if it was your debrief, well, it's YOUR debrief. Know what I'm sayin'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, rank is left at the door all right, but as soon as everyone steps back out......

screw them anyway. It's my flight, my debrief. They don't like my style, they don't have to fly with me. Leave me to fly with other Captains.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a little 'recurrent' gotchya, sometimes your simulator instructor will send you on the missed AFTER the missed approach point, at which time it stops becoming a missed and becomes a "rejected landing". Pretty interesting stuff when it comes to MA procedures that involve lots of climbing and jinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

So at what point does a rejected landing have to follow the published departure procedure at a non-towered airport?

[ QUOTE ]
You asked again, so I'll post it again:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.php

FREE.

No need to waste money on AOPA to get access to free charts. Or if you don't want to print them, then either buy the NACO charts, or the Jepp express pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

FREE, but no assurance that you'll get current plates. I saw this thread, and went to myairplane.com and got the plates for Salem OR. Two of four were out of date. Yikes!

The website is really cool, so I'm not suggesting that you don't use it. Just make sure the plates (or other data) are current.

Does anybody know where to find (online) the current revision numbers for each plate?
confused.gif
And while were at it, wouldn't it make sense if the FAA would publish the plates online?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And while were at it, wouldn't it make sense if the FAA would publish the plates online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a bit of an oxymoron.
wink.gif

Very simply, if you are on a visual the IFR missed approach absoulutely does not apply. This is not a conjecture on my part, it is something I know for sure. Your miss is strictly visual, period. This issue has been addressed by FAA in legal interps and has been the subject of work by a committee I was a part of.

Back