Application question - Commercial Pilot?

kr575m

I'm filling out an application and it ask if I've ever been
employed as a commercial pilot. I'm currently a flight instructor. Would you put that down? I'm not sure if it's considered commercial.

Thanks.

If there is a place to indicate you were a flight instructor mark that and leave the commercial pilot one blank otherwise I would mark commercial pilot.

Just going to the dictionary, here is what I see:

Commercial

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of commerce.

Commerce

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BACKGROUND: white; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-bottom-alt: 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 26.25pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top width=35>1.

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top>an interchange of goods or commodities, esp. on a large scale between different countries (foreign commerce) or between different parts of the same country (domestic commerce); trade; business.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<O:p</O:p
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BACKGROUND: white; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-bottom-alt: 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 26.25pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top width=35>2.

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top>social relations, esp. the exchange of views, attitudes, etc.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</O:p
So, going with those definitions, I would lean towards answering the question with a “yes”.

Yeah, that's what i figured too. If there's money being exchanged, it's commercial. There's not a separate flight instructor box.

Also don't you need the commercial certificate to instruct? If that's the case you are using the commercial cert...so I would say yes.

Disagree. You are acting as a flight instructor, not as a commercial pilot. You are paid to teach people to fly, not to fly the airplanes. That is why a 2nd class medical certificate is NOT required to instruct.

Commercial pilot cert required to be CFI! Yes write on an app that you are a commercial pilot!

You are paid to teach people to fly, not to fly the airplanes. That is why a 2nd class medical certificate is NOT required to instruct.
greed completly with this part...but you still need that commercial right? You may not be paid to fly...but in a LOT cases you are being paid to ACT as PIC.

Not if you are teaching somebody not rated in that type plane.

You still are paid to instruct, not fly the plane. That is why you would only need a 3rd class medical in that scenario, and not a second class medical certificate.

With regard to requiring your commercial certificate to act as flight instructor, so what? You are still employed as a flight instructor and not as a commercial pilot.

You still are paid to instruct, not fly the plane. That is why you would only need a 3rd class medical in that scenario, and not a second class medical certificate.

With regard to requiring your commercial certificate to act as flight instructor, so what? You are still employed as a flight instructor and not as a commercial pilot.

Just because you need a commercial to get your CFI, don't make you a commercial pilot. So I agree with you on this one, but the funny question is why they don't have a special section for you to mark a CFI. I guess they think that you're getting paid to fly, therefore you are a commercial pilot, which is not true.

True, again I agree, but how many people out there have a job flight instructing without a Commercial? Either way i think we are arguing semantics. Bottom line to me is you are getting fligh time...you are getting paid.

Technicalities aside, the wording of the question (the lack of options such as CFI) leads one to think that they're putting any sort of flying that you recieve money for into the 'commercial pilot' category.

You are being paid to fly and you have a commercial certificate. You're a commercial pilot. When I layman asks me "So you're a private pilot?" I correct them. I don't fly for an airline, but I am a commercial pilot.

You are being paid to fly and you have a commercial certificate. You're a commercial pilot. When I layman asks me "So you're a private pilot?" I correct them. I don't fly for an airline, but I am a commercial pilot.

When you endorse a student logbook do you put your number followed CMEL EXP 2/10? No you use your CFI number, tis is why you are acting as a CFI. Remember the FAA made it clear that CFI are not operating as commercial pilots, that is why we don't need a class 2 medical.

I would say I have my PPL followed by seven other licenses:cool:

Back