AOPA Layoffs - CAPCON Killed

ATN (no offence dude) is under the delusion that the ATC system is there to SERVE the airlines, it is not , the ATC system is there to protect the fare paying public FROM the airlines !

One of the problems with simply adding on a fuel tax is what's happening in certain airports in Arizona. The fuel tax revenue flows into the general fund for the city and only a small percentage gets returned to the airport for infrastructure.

GA could support itself, but a lot of municipalities use the tax revenues as a "rich boy luxury tax" so they can build parking lots for spring training facilities.

Look, I've provided facts, discussion and civilized debate. To "take your ball and go home" while insulting my intelligence is weak at best.

Sorry, man, but when you refuse to acknowledge something as simple as a 1.6% contribution by your segment of the aviation community being absurd, it's not really worth continuing a discussion.

The idiocy lies in the fact that the your customer pays your tax bill, and you feel this is lost revenue.

Anyone who has had even the most basic involvement is running a business understands this principle. Hell, anyone who has taken a basic economics class should understand it.

Which has been AOPAs position all along. A 2 cent increase on the Avgas or JetA taxes would be barely noticed, and wouldn't change how GA operates. Also, it doesn't cost any more to collect.

That's fine for planes that burn avgas. Doesn't work for corporate jets, though. They need to be taxed without the tax hitting the airlines so as to reduce the disparity in tax contributions.

That is how it's done in Europe. The problem is that it will lead to a reduction of safety. "An IFR clearance costs $50, I'll just scud run under these clouds instead."

Sorry, but I'm not buying this argument. IFR regulations don't currently result in non-instrument rated pilots crashing left and right because of scud-running attempts. Pilots are generally law-abiding people. While there are always exceptions, you don't base public policy on them.

That's fine for planes that burn avgas. Doesn't work for corporate jets, though. They need to be taxed without the tax hitting the airlines so as to reduce the disparity in tax contributions.

Scheduled airlines get all their federal fuel taxes refunded back.

I'm not sure how the airlines pay into the fund, but if they are burning 98% of the jet fuel, then they should be paying 98% of the taxes.

image-3657134808.jpg

Scheduled airlines get all their federal fuel taxes refunded back.

I have a feeling that that's not what he intends with his proposed fuel tax increase. In any case, fuel taxes are not ideal for collecting revenue to deal with the NAS, because the amount of fuel that is used has nothing to do with the amount of resources used.

I'm not sure how the airlines pay into the fund, but if they are burning 98% of the jet fuel, then they should be paying 98% of the taxes.

That would make some sort of sense if a 747 used more controllers, runways, and navaids than a Citation. But it doesn't, so it makes no sense.

That would make some sort of sense if a 747 used more controllers, runways, and navaids than a Citation. But it doesn't, so it makes no sense.

The controllers, runways (most of them), and navaids have to be paid for regardless if the Citations use them or not. My home airport has two runways, a tower, TSA in the terminal, CFR, and several approaches. Eagle flies in here twice a day. If the airlines were the only traffic those resources would be wasteful. Instead those resources are being used by GA at no additional cost to the taxpayers.

If you are including small uncontrolled GA airports in your argument, then you are clearly being a troll. Those airports cost the FAA almost nothing.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this argument. IFR regulations don't currently result in non-instrument rated pilots crashing left and right because of scud-running attempts. Pilots are generally law-abiding people. While there are always exceptions, you don't base public policy on them.
...I don't know, it seems that the criminal justice system runs on management-by-exception.

The controllers, runways (most of them), and navaids have to be paid for regardless if the Citations use them or not.

Yes, and the airlines are the ones stuck with the bill for them. Want to use them? Pay up.

If the airlines were the only traffic those resources would be wasteful.

Actually, the airlines are the only thing that aren't a waste to the taxpayer, because they provide what is essentially a public utility (transportation). Joe Schmo putzing around in his 172 is of no use to the taxpayer, and he's getting everything practically for free.

If you are including small uncontrolled GA airports in your argument, then you are clearly being a troll. Those airports cost the FAA almost nothing.

Thousands upon thousands of them. They don't cost "almost nothing" in aggregate.

Actually, the airlines are the only thing that aren't a waste to the taxpayer, because they provide what is essentially a public utility (transportation). Joe Schmo putzing around in his 172 is of no use to the taxpayer, and he's getting everything practically for free.

And you driving whatever fancy ass airline pilot car you drive is of no use to the taxpayer, and you're getting everything for practically free.

And you driving whatever fancy ass airline pilot car you drive is of no use to the taxpayer, and you're getting everything for practically free.

There's a key difference between cars/roads and airplanes/NAS: the road infrastructure is paid for by the general fund, while the NAS is paid for by the Trust Fund. If you want to switch over paying for the NAS and all of the necessary infrastructure that goes along with it (runways, taxiways, etc.) out of the General Fund and get rid of fuel taxes and passenger taxes, then I'm all for it. But until then, while the users continue to pay for it, you need to pay your fair share.

I have a feeling that that's not what he intends with his proposed fuel tax increase. In any case, fuel taxes are not ideal for collecting revenue to deal with the NAS, because the amount of fuel that is used has nothing to do with the amount of resources used.
It very much does. The farther you go the more resources NAS you use, the farther you go the more gas you use. The more gas used the more taxes paid. It's not a hard concept. One other point you keep dodging. I never said it's like trucking because of wear and tear on roads. I said it because airlines use the NAS as way to make money. Just like a commercial trucker uses roads to make money. If I put a phone in a commercial building I pay a higher rate per month because it's commercial. Still use the same switching as a normal household yet it costs more. I'm not talking multiple lines, one single line costs more.

ATN should have his PPL revoked and only ever be allowed to utilize his ATP to fly an airliner. Never again to enjoy a $100 hamburger.

Joe Schmo putzing around in his 172 is of no use to the taxpayer, and he's getting everything practically for free.

First off, why do you care? If I can use something for free what harm is that to you?

Second, your willful ignorance of the economic benefit that GA serves the general public is beneath you. There is no airline service to Enid OK, but the farmers who need their tractor parts in time to harvest their crops sure appreciate the UPS feeder plane that lands there every morning.

The airlines pay the most into the NAS trust fund because they are the biggest users of those services. They can't operate without it, GA can and does.

Back