Anyone not make it past their PEPC?

Other than who got their hoohoos grabbed and why, I'm still interested in the original question-- anyone not make it past the pepc?

(I suppose they probably wouldn't hang out here anymore, but ya never know)

Yeah, I am concerned about the hearing test, but my main concern is the interview. I'm in quite a bit of debt and I still owe on 2007 income taxes. It sounds like this won't even come up in the interview, but is there the possibility of getting a tentative offer, them discovering something like this after the PEPC and then withdrawing the offer? I have a clean criminal record.

I'm just worried about them bringing me this far, getting to OKC, and them deciding I was pretty irresponsible in my younger years and taking me out.

Yeah, I am concerned about the hearing test, but my main concern is the interview. I'm in quite a bit of debt and I still owe on 2007 income taxes. It sounds like this won't even come up in the interview, but is there the possibility of getting a tentative offer, them discovering something like this after the PEPC and then withdrawing the offer? I have a clean criminal record.

I'm just worried about them bringing me this far, getting to OKC, and them deciding I was pretty irresponsible in my younger years and taking me out.

From my vast knowledge of the FAA and the PEPC proceedings...(which BTW is VERY VERY limited... :buck:)...I don't think you should have too much to worry about as long as you are truthful in all of your answers. The "money" issue won't come up in the interview. It would come up with the background investigation. If they ask, don't lie! Tell them your circumstances. They are usually MORE than happy to help you out and be understanding. I currently have an undisclosed 6 figure amount of debt from student loans, credit cards, etc...and yet I still received a Secret clearance with the Department of Defense. They did a little bit of deeper searching, and I had to have an interview with a kind gentleman from the interviewing agency, but in the end it all worked out. HONESTY HONESTY HONESTY!!

You'll receive the final offer letter before you go to OKC. Therefore you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just don't tell your current employer that you've "got the job" until you receive the FOL in hand.

I'm nervously waiting for the FOL, so many of us are in the same boat.

Yah that walking around during the hearing bothered me as well. Every foot step he took was distracting and sounded like thunder. I know it must be hard to sit all day, but with jobs on the line its a big deal.

Yah that walking around during the hearing bothered me as well. Every foot step he took was distracting and sounded like thunder. I know it must be hard to sit all day, but with jobs on the line its a big deal.
I wonder what the numbers mean, mine were all 0's and a couple 5's. I was worried I was deaf.

I could hear my own heartbeat louder than some of those tones, lol

I wonder what the numbers mean, mine were all 0's and a couple 5's. I was worried I was deaf.

I think they measure the amount of hearing loss (less is better). So if you had zeroes, then you have 0db hearing loss at that freq.

I had a mixture of 5-15db

The numbers are the amount of hearing loss you have at different frequencies.

The limit is 25db loss up to 2000hz, and you must have no more than 20db loss in the better ear.

Sounds like you had no more than 5db loss across the board, which is very good.

I just had a very extensive exam and was told I was normal except for 25db loss right at 2000hz in my left ear! That was in a very controlled environment, so I'm scared to death about the PEPC hearing exam.

Do they just give you tones, or did someone have you repeat words at diminishing volumes?

The night before my PEPC I was riding the NYC subway, and the door between the cars was open... so I could hear all the loud screeching from the wheels/rail. I even covered one of my ears to protect myself from potential hearing loss.

Might be good to avoid loud noises like this before your PEPC.
If you were on a loud subway immediately before PEPC, then your hearing could be affected.

they put on some headphones and you listen to tones... and you press a little handheld button to acknowledge the tone

they put on some headphones and you listen to tones... and you press a little handheld button to acknowledge the tone
they get louder and softer OR they're the same volume but I hear them differently at different Hz ranges, I don't know.
but there's like 3 tones, BEEPBEEPBEEP

Sometimes I think I'm crazy since I'm not sure if I heard something, or THOUGHT I heard something.

Beep-Beep....Silence....Beep-Beep....Silence... .....(did I just hear something?)

Sometimes I think I'm crazy since I'm not sure if I heard something, or THOUGHT I heard something.

Beep-Beep....Silence....Beep-Beep....Silence... .....(did I just hear something?)

Yep, and the timing was almost the SAME for every tone except for like two where they left a long break and you're like "did I miss one?"

The truth is you probably did miss one. Everyone's hearing differs at different ranges. It is due to what the individual has been exposed to during their lifetime. In my case (25db loss at 2000hz), I guess I've been exposed to women endlessly screaming in my left ear.

Someone did fail the MMPI (the psychological exam taken through a computer with true/false questions)

http://forums.jetcareers.com/ask-a-flight-surgeon/66520-failed-the-mmpi-at-the-pepc-for-atc.html

And someone else failed their EKG
Eh, I had never done an EKG before...I kinda freaked out the first time because I had no clue what was going on. Had a little abnormal EKG, a little from being nervous, a little from the caffine I had just had, and a little from the nicotine...I had to take another one, at my own expense...Since I knew what to expect from it that time around, I was fine...No smokes or caffine that morning and everything was cool.

(from this thread: http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/68341-atc-physical-at-the-pepc.html)

Plus there were two people at my PEPC that had to retake the vision test since they couldn't see 20/20. Not sure what happened to them.
But for others going to PEPC: use glasses from a recent prescription, otherwise get a new eye exam. Avoid excessive caffeine/nicotine since that could cause your heart to beat abnormally.

I'm new here. My PEPC is 7/24 in Memphis. I'm concerned about the PEPC also. Has anyone ever not gotten a FOL after they attended the PEPC? I'm also concerned about the background check. I have some credit problems from about 3 years ago :eek: (all is good now though). I was wondering how important good credit is in getting the position. And does anyone know how many years they go back when checking credit?

SF85 (your security form for terminal) asks:

"In the last 7 years, have you, or a company over which you exercised some control, filed for bankruptcy, been declared bankrupt, been subject to a tax lien, or had legal judgment rendered against you for a debt? If you answered "Yes," provide date of initial action and other information requested below.

Are you now over 180 days delinquent on any loan or financial obligation? Include loans or obligations funded or guaranteed by the Federal Government. "

Should be fine if your credit problems are in the past.

How do you fail your MMPI?! Even if you do some of the wierd things they ask you about...wouldn't you know not to admit it on a psych test?

How do you fail your MMPI?! Even if you do some of the wierd things they ask you about...wouldn't you know not to admit it on a psych test?

The test is built to find discrepancies in your answers, so if it sees that some of your answers aren't matching up, you're flagged... it's better to just be honest (hopefully you don't hear voices no one else can hear :crazy:)

I don't think the psych test is there to discover deviant behavior or anything like that but to check for patterns in your answers. My wife knows a little bit about this kinda stuff and she said you're trying to fit into a category. Your answers (none of them are really wrong) will place you into one of several categories and you want to avoid the extremes OR having the test place you in multiple categories. I guess that would mean you have multiple personalities or you were lying on the test. Best advice is to be honest I guess.

Back