Anyone in the southern california area want to do a JC Fly-In?

I too am looking to do my long comm. x-country. Coming from Oregon I'd probably fly into a smaller place and sleep under a wing. Too much flying for one day.

From Oregon, you got it easy. Only have to come down about as far as mid Kali. I was measuring stuff out, thought it would be cool to go to another state, and looks like Medford would be nice from here, and is in that 250-300NM range. Much more than that, and I'd want to overnight somewhere if I takin' the slow little Warrior. Since it puts it about 3hrs out and 3 back- quite a lot to do solo I think in one day. Wouldn't be so hard to plan out, but I kinda don't like flying alone. Gets boring.

Josh

hey guys I thought we were trying to set up a fly in here and not plan out commercial cross countries?????
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Santa Paula would also be a fun place to meet up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm probably the only SZP local here--it's a LITTLE airport but, as for the town...unless you like Mexican food, there's not a whole lot else going on here. Though there are some great hiking trails near mi casa if people are interested, y'all are welcome to come over. It has been the party house lately...

Shelter Cove, let's do it! I love that airport. Another place to consider with all the hot weather we're getting is Trinity Center. Pretty cool place to go for a swim.

I flew 15 hours this weekend and was looking at shelter cove... Ended up going north from Medford MFR instead.

I don't have much night time and had some amazing experiences this weekend. The stars in the windscreen are the best. When a distant city begins to glow and confirm I'm not completely lost is rather refreshing when I'm alone over mountains with no GPS. And finding the beacon. An ALSF has got to be the coolest view in the world from 40 plus miles out all the way in. Does it ever get old?

Shelter Cove???? You mean north NORTH california??? Most people down here don't even realize San Fran is only halfway up California.... most of us think San Fran is as high as it gets.
grin.gif

That'd be cool... if I could only find that $1200 I left lying around for the fly in
smirk.gif

Anyways is this thing gonna happen or what??? If it does it'll probably end up being me and Omar just hanging out... maybe Iain'll stop by

July 19th is not a good date - I will probably be up North of LA playing polo but it is certain yet.

OKKKKKKK, I guess July 19th is out. WHat about meeting in the middle of the week? Once again let the date poll begin.<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1057170698mrivc211">

Date
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Friday July 11
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Saturday July 12
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Sunday July 13
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Friday July 18
<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Saturday July 19
<input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />Sunday July 20

I figure we should just try to do this this month and not push it back or we'll never do this!

We will if you bring your sister...bwahahahaha!
wink.gif

I say we do the Sunday brunch at Borrego Springs.

Alternatively.....Catalina might be fun.

[ QUOTE ]
We will if you bring your sister...bwahahahaha!
wink.gif

I say we do the Sunday brunch at Borrego Springs.

Alternatively.....Catalina might be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an airport in Jacumba (east of the San Diego area)? Anything worthwhile at that airport?

How about Salton Sea airport?

Imperial was one of my stops on my long solo XC when I was a student. There's less than nothing there, tho it's kinda cool to see your altimeter read below sea level! (KIPL is -56' MSL).

Hmm...Borrego Springs doesn't do so well according to 100dollarhamburger.com, but the Route 66 Cafe at Chiriaco Summit (L77, north of the Salton Sea, off I-10) does--5 (out of 5) flying burgers, and the General Patton museum within walking distance to boot! We might have a winner!

http://www.100dollarhamburger.com/l77.html

[ QUOTE ]
Imperial was one of my stops on my long solo XC when I was a student. There's less than nothing there, tho it's kinda cool to see your altimeter read below sea level! (KIPL is -56' MSL).

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember flying into IPL and visiting the one guy that manned the FSS that was there at the time.

The 20th works for me. Since no one was enamored with my other idea, how 'bout French Valley (F70) north of Temecula? Or Perris Valley (L65), if we wanna piss off the skydivers
cool.gif

Better food at Perris Valley according to 100dollarhamburger.com, though their vertical windtunnel isn't open yet.
frown.gif

Back