Anyone here a pilot for a private employer?

I agree with Alex that college is important. However, college will always be there, while this opportunity won't. If the price is right, take it. I can't even imagine what a blast it would be to live in Europe at this age.

with that kind of money he can save up and do college later if neccessary. GO FOR IT.

very very envious of your fortune.

Get Per Diem in the contract for when on the road at a minimum, and possibly even when in your home base. Figure out how you want to be paid...Euros or Dollars? Figure out how you are going to cover taxes. Go right now to an accountant. And possibly a lawyer to set up a business. Right now the IRS is doing a bunch of audits on Expat Pilots, so you want to have your bases covered when it comes to paying Uncle Sam. Yes, it can be tax free up to a point, but you'd better know what the point is and meet all the requirements for the Exemption.

You can renounce your US Citizenship and not be subject to US Taxes.

Food for thought. :rolleyes:

My buddy did something similar, although not out of the country. 2 months into the deal, the guy sold the airplane and fired him. Decided he didn't need the airplane anymore. Make sure you leave yourself a way out.

Nothing to offer except my experience of being 37 and looking for a new job myself and thinking about life/universe/everything.....

I say: GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are 18, you have your whole life to do some college, get married, have kids etc. This job sounds like one of those experiences that you will remember until the day you die. Even if it only lasts a few months, or years; how many people do YOU know who can say: "Yeah, I lived in Europe for a few years, flying around to St. Moritz, Morroco, Geneva, Amsterdam (Ohhhhh Amsterdam...).....and I got paid for it!"

So take it from someone who is twice your age and a wee bit more: take this job and worry about the other stuff later.

I'd say no less than $80-90k USD.

Are you kidding? What 18 yr old 400TT pilot is worth $80K/yr plus room and board plus training? 18 yr olds are signing up to fight in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:country-region w:st=
</st1:country-region>Iraq for $18K/yr and all the MREs they can eat, and I'm positive they don't get their own apartment. This job is about adventure! Typically, 18 yr olds spend everything they make (I did), so in the long run it really doesn't matter how much the job pays as long as you get enough to live on.

If I was 18 again, I'd jump on this with both feet if it paid enough money to visit the local pubs and buy a few memories. (Actually, when I was 18 I volunteered to go to <ST1:pAntarctica and work for 8 months for free on a science expedition as part of the Boy Scouts. I didn't get selected to go, but to me the adventure was worth postponing my life plans for a year.)<O:p</O:p

Are you kidding? What 18 yr old 400TT pilot is worth $80K/yr plus room and board plus training? 18 yr olds are signing up to fight in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:country-region alt=
</st1:country-region>Iraq for $18K/yr and all the MREs they can eat, and I'm positive they don't get their own apartment. This job is about adventure! Typically, 18 yr olds spend everything they make (I did), so in the long run it really doesn't matter how much the job pays as long as you get enough to live on.

If I was 18 again, I'd jump on this with both feet if it paid enough money to visit the local pubs and buy a few memories. (Actually, when I was 18 I volunteered to go to <ST1:pAntarctica and work for 8 months for free on a science expedition as part of the Boy Scouts. I didn't get selected to go, but to me the adventure was worth postponing my life plans for a year.)<O:p</O:p
This job is also about not screwing fellow pilots out here. Everybody gripes about the pay in the US, and then they say well low ball it, or just make enough to survive. Or, it's an adventure. BS. It's a job, and he should be paid as a professional. If he's not up to the challenge and doesn't feel he deserves the pay, then he probably doesn't realize what he's getting in to. This job should be NO LESS than 75-80K per year, absolute bare minimums, and it should probably go higher. This is a TON of responsibility he's accepting with this job!!

Good luck to the OP on negotiations, and if you have questions, which I'm sure you will, feel free to ask!!!

Hey Alex, just a general concensus...you're of the same age group, and have a lot of these responsibilities...what would you ask for? You understand most of what he's getting in to...

Are you kidding? What 18 yr old 400TT pilot is worth $80K/yr plus room and board plus training?

No, I'm not kidding. I wouldn't have written it if I was. If they are solely responsible for managing and operating a multi million dollar aircraft, ALL 18 year old 400TT guys are worth $80K/yr. Having training covered is a no brainer. If they're moving to a foreign country at the request of an employer, they're also worth room and board.

When you get some experience in the corporate aviation world, you'll understand.

Hey Alex, just a general concensus...you're of the same age group, and have a lot of these responsibilities...what would you ask for? You understand most of what he's getting in to...

I made around $63,000 at my old job (which I got when I was 18 with 700TT) and make a litte more than that now. Over seas I would want $80,000US minimum assuming I was currently unemployed. I'd need six figures to consider it right now. But I also have no desire to live in Europe.

Alex.

Boy it sure feels like what I'm doing is totally the wrong thing. I've got a bit more time than you did when you got hired and I'm at $22G a year. *sigh* I like my job but I wish I got paid. The only people I know outside of the airlines that might hire me just calling them only pay 36G first year FO with 2500 hours. Ugh.

Oh and I'm 25. Feel like I'm behind the 8-ball earnings wise, hours wise, and experience wise to step it up to the next level.

I made around $63,000 at my old job (which I got when I was 18 with 700TT) and make a litte more than that now. Over seas I would want $80,000US minimum assuming I was currently unemployed. I'd need six figures to consider it right now. But I also have no desire to live in Europe.

Alex.

You're set for life dude.

When you get some experience in the corporate aviation world, you'll understand.

I guess the international on-demand passenger flying I do isn't enough for my opinion to be worthy of entering this discussion. Maybe if I had more posts than flight hours it would???

I guess the international on-demand passenger flying I do isn't enough for my opinion to be worthy of entering this discussion. Maybe if I had more posts than flight hours it would???

Your points are a non sequitor. The OP isn't signing on for a 135 gig overseas. He's taking on the responsibility of aircraft management, as well as being the chief pilot for a turbine aircraft overseas. The quoted salaries are certainly on par with the relative responsibilities. And frankly, bringing in the sacrifices of our servicemen is a low blow.

Hey guys...

So I talked to my uncle who is a pilot for CAL, he usually has some pretty good advice and he seemed to have talked me out of the decision, as of yet. My reasons being...

My time building would absolutely go down the drain, I fly about 30 hrs a week, reducing that to 30 hours a month would kill me. I have never flown internationally--I honestly do not feel that I am ready to handle the responsibility of dealing with 6 different countries' regulations, lingos, procedures. I doubt that I would receive any formal type of training (other than that from the Piper manufacturer, on how to fly and operate the aircraft) since I would be flying part 91 for a single guy. If I would be flying for a corporation who had an established flight department and often trained new guys on the ways and procedures of international airspace, I'd feel much more comfortable. I feel like with this gig I'd have to figure everything out the hard way and at this point in my career, I can't afford making too many mistakes that could potentionally result in the revokation of my certs. Again, if I was with a company and they would take the blame or at least show me what's right/wrong, I'd feel much more comfortable, but again--I'm flying part 91. Going back to the time building, I would be building turbine time, but I would not be touching multi time. I'd be contracted for a year in Russia and all that time w/o any multi would not look so good. Not only that, but I would also be alienating myself from possible opportunities that open up in the states that could actually be better than the offer that is currently presented. Also (something my uncle mentioned, smart guy) there is always the possibility that I would be offered a job like this again, with perhaps a better aircraft and domestic flying. (This is where the it gets a little ridiculous) My parents are worried that my employers are involved in the mafia and that I would be imprisoned or killed while transporting my employer. That or I get imprisoned or killed while unknowingly transporting drugs or drug money. lol

This decision is not set in stone, but it is very likely.Anyone and everyone please give me your opinion on this decision and how stupid I am for giving up this once-in-a-lifetime chance :).

FLAME ON!

Sean

Hey guys...

So I talked to my uncle who is a pilot for CAL, he usually has some pretty good advice and he seemed to have talked me out of the decision, as of yet. My reasons being...

My time building would absolutely go down the drain, I fly about 30 hrs a week, reducing that to 30 hours a month would kill me. I have never flown internationally--I honestly do not feel that I am ready to handle the responsibility of dealing with 6 different countries' regulations, lingos, procedures. I doubt that I would receive any formal type of training (other than that from the Piper manufacturer, on how to fly and operate the aircraft) since I would be flying part 91 for a single guy. If I would be flying for a corporation who had an established flight department and often trained new guys on the ways and procedures of international airspace, I'd feel much more comfortable. I feel like with this gig I'd have to figure everything out the hard way and at this point in my career, I can't afford making too many mistakes that could potentionally result in the revokation of my certs. Again, if I was with a company and they would take the blame or at least show me what's right/wrong, I'd feel much more comfortable, but again--I'm flying part 91. Going back to the time building, I would be building turbine time, but I would not be touching multi time. I'd be contracted for a year in Russia and all that time w/o any multi would not look so good. Not only that, but I would also be alienating myself from possible opportunities that open up in the states that could actually be better than the offer that is currently presented. Also (something my uncle mentioned, smart guy) there is always the possibility that I would be offered a job like this again, with perhaps a better aircraft and domestic flying. (This is where the it gets a little ridiculous) My parents are worried that my employers are involved in the mafia and that I would be imprisoned or killed while transporting my employer. That or I get imprisoned or killed while unknowingly transporting drugs or drug money. lol

This decision is not set in stone, but it is very likely.Anyone and everyone please give me your opinion on this decision and how stupid I am for giving up this once-in-a-lifetime chance :).

FLAME ON!

Sean

I think it's a good decision. That's an awful lot of responsibility and stress for someone without any type of international, high performance aircraft, or management experience. Go out and build some flight time. If you want to fly international, go do some expat work in a few years.

Your points are a non sequitor. The OP isn't signing on for a 135 gig overseas. He's taking on the responsibility of aircraft management, as well as being the chief pilot for a turbine aircraft overseas. The quoted salaries are certainly on par with the relative responsibilities. And frankly, bringing in the sacrifices of our servicemen is a low blow.

If you took offense to my reference of the sacrifices of the military being an adventure for low pay, then I apologize. I am in the military and in my opinion it is exactly that, especially for men & women who are of similar age to the OP who are doing the bulk of the sacraficing for very little pay. (In fact, when I was 18 my sister service used to advertise itself as "an adventure.")

I understand your point about the OP not signing on to a 135 gig, which makes my point for me when another poster told me to "get some experience in the corporate aviation world" so that I could understand a different point of view. This job involves a private owner looking for someone to do a job he could do himself but would rather staff it.

As the OP stated,

Anyone and everyone please give me your opinion on this decision...

Since I fit into at least one of those two categories, I offered my opinion. If we all had the same opinion, then no one would need to ask for one. I don't need more experience to understand another person's opinion. I just happen to have a different opinion.

Sean, your uncle raised a lot of good points. Customs will be one of your biggest challenges. You will most likely have to learn this all on your own and through the help of local flight instructors, and it may prove to be one of the most frustrating parts of this job.

On the other hand, learning to overcome all of the frustrations could make this the most rewarding job you will ever have, adventure aside. Yes, it will slow you down from your time-building plan, but there is always a trade-off. (Do you ever take a day off of work? Doesn't that slow down your time-building? There is more to life than just filling in your logbook.)

I don't see anything wrong with delaying your long-term plans for a little adventure. A job like this will make you a much better pilot and make the quality of the hours you do gain worth much more than five times the quantity to the right employer. You may find out that living abroad is an experience that has its own rewards and its impossible to put a value on it. (I certainly have.) Don't be overly concerned about what a year without multi time will look like and how bad it might be viewed by some future employer. At 400TT you can gain plenty of SE time before you need to start to worry about ME time.

Yes, there is always a slim possibility that you could find an offer like this again, but think about the flexibility you have right now. You are young and single. That affords you the luxury to be selfish and make decisions based solely upon what is best for you. You don't have to worry about a wife and kids and a mortgage and a car payment, etc, etc and how uprooting to move overseas (or to another State) will affect any of that. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't base my decision on the hopes that I can always do something like this later when I would be in a better position in life. You will never be in a better position to do something like this, which is why my opinion was to do it for the adventure.

On the other hand, learning to overcome all of the frustrations could make this the most rewarding job you will ever have, adventure aside. Yes, it will slow you down from your time-building plan, but there is always a trade-off. (Do you ever take a day off of work? Doesn't that slow down your time-building? There is more to life than just filling in your logbook.)

I don't see anything wrong with delaying your long-term plans for a little adventure. A job like this will make you a much better pilot and make the quality of the hours you do gain worth much more than five times the quantity to the right employer. You may find out that living abroad is an experience that has its own rewards and its impossible to put a value on it. (I certainly have.) Don't be overly concerned about what a year without multi time will look like and how bad it might be viewed by some future employer. At 400TT you can gain plenty of SE time before you need to start to worry about ME time.

Yes, there is always a slim possibility that you could find an offer like this again, but think about the flexibility you have right now. You are young and single. That affords you the luxury to be selfish and make decisions based solely upon what is best for you. You don't have to worry about a wife and kids and a mortgage and a car payment, etc, etc and how uprooting to move overseas (or to another State) will affect any of that. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't base my decision on the hopes that I can always do something like this later when I would be in a better position in life. You will never be in a better position to do something like this, which is why my opinion was to do it for the adventure.

I wish it was that simple though. The fact is, I still don't know how to fly in that environment. I can't imagine that the airspace and regulations in Europe are identical to those in the states, which makes me worried that I will end up busting some rule and not even know it until I get the notice form the JAA. I'd love, LOVE to go flying around Europe as PIC of a Meridian, but I'd love it even more if I could do it in the States, where I know what I am doing and am somewhat slightly more knowledgeable about what's going on.

Then it sounds like you made your decision. Be happy with it. You researched it and decided to pass for a number of valid reasons. Don't let the lure of living in Europe lead you to make a decision that your gut tells you is wrong.

Back