Anyone have C-310 time?

There is no type rating for a C310.
Not in the US anyways.

My New Zealand friend has more type ratings than anyone I know.
C150, C172, PA-28, .........BN2A, DH104............ A320, B767, B777, B787

If you've never been around a De Havilland Dove it's darn ugly and uses air pressure to steer. Sounds like air brakes on a truck when taxiing. Used to be a DFW based shuttle, Metro Airlines, that used them.

Brings up aviation rule #7. If it's ugly, it's British

1651547216289.png

Last edited:
Not in the US anyways.

If you've never been around a De Havilland Dove it's darn ugly and uses air pressure to steer. Sounds like air brakes on a truck when taxiing. Used to be a DFW based shuttle, Metro Airlines, that used them.

View attachment 64632
that looks like a Heron, but yeah pneumatic brakes. iirc the nosewheel wasn't steerable and had a special tread in the tire that was cut lower in the center so it would track straight

that looks like a Heron, but yeah pneumatic brakes. iirc the nosewheel wasn't steerable and had a special tread in the tire that was cut lower in the center so it would track straight
II was told it wasn't brakes. But my only qualifications was watching/hearing them taxi in. One flight a day into Altus OK, I found it really funny and it never got old.

Not in the US anyways.

View attachment 64632
If it’s weird, it’s French, if it’s ugly and weird (and burning falling from the sky these days) it’s Russian.

II was told it wasn't brakes. But my only qualifications was watching/hearing them taxi in. One flight a day into Altus OK, I found it really funny and it never got old.
nope, castering nosewheel. differential braking to steer. there's a switch on the yoke(I think) that you push to brake, if the rudder pedals are neutral it applies symmetrically, if you have rudder input it will bias
saw a riley conversion with 720s at sun n fun a few years ago. weird plane I'd love to have had I won the powerball

I get it. I'm talking about the aircraft type designators in JO 7360.1 (ATO). Y'know, the type that goes on a flight plan.

That's compared to the type rating codes that are supposed to go on Form 8060-4 (which is strangely absent from the FAA site) and cataloged in 8900.1 (AVS). Interestingly (to me), the example attestation from an ASI in 8900.1 doesn't use the type designator:

E.g., "I certify that Dean Chamberlain, ATP Certificate No. 1111111 satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating practical test as a single-pilot in a Textron 501."

While nerding-out on this, I also found that EASA suspended the type certs for a Russian-made aircraft back on Feb 25.

The owner says that its a "big boy" twin

:bounce: That made me laugh just a little. But, I come from an environment where we use to call the B757 the “Light twin”. I’d consider 400 series Cessnas like a 421 “Big Boy” piston twins but not the C310.

Anyway, was in a partnership in a 67’ C310 about 20 years ago. Good solid airplane and a joy to fly IFR. I suspect the turbo Seneca is more expensive due to the maintenance costs of the “turbo’s“.

A LLC here in PHX is in the business of renting and time-building. They have a 172 a Cherokee 6, and a Cessna 310. For $200 dry. Which is way cheaper than the $370 + instructor, $75 an hr. that I've been paying for the turbo Seneca I've been renting. I'll be going to DEN next month to get some Seminole time at $180 an hr.

The 310 is 260 a side. The owner says that its a "big boy" twin. He says it flies like a CRJ. I won't be able to rent it. Insurance requirements are 750 tt and 250 hrs multi time and 25 hrs. of 310 time. I'm no where close. But luckily the owner says that he doesn't charge for instruction. He only charges for the plane. So that's cool.

Anyone have any experience in a C-310?

This place in Chandler has a piper Aztec for $298 wet with $82 per hour instruction.

This place in Chandler has a piper Aztec for $298 wet with $82 per hour instruction.
When I got my ME the 10 year old Aztec $75 wet, $5 for the instructor. Even in 1978 that was really cheap.

Same school:

Cessna 150 $12 wet.
PA28 140 $14 to $17 wet depending on the year model.
Arrow I $32 wet
Arrow II $34 wet
Brand new Arrow III $38 wet
300 HP Six $38, I had the last flight in that one. Engine fire.

I was training on my VA benefits so I was paying just 10% of the above prices.

Last edited:
It’s over $8/gal here for 100LL ...
Dayum! I was complaining about $5.80 last week at N87 (central NJ)

If you're planning on logging CC time, Central Jersey regional has the cheapest around here @$5.60 last time I was there.. 47N

I got my multi in a 310 with a similar deal. It was not much cheaper with fuel prices and they were 3.50 per gallon back then. If you have no time in twins, it might seem like a crj, but it's not. You will get use to it. It did take a little more time than usual for me to get my rating but I wanted to be comfortable with the plane.

Back