anyone flying over PHX tomorrow?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Will be tooling through the Class B up towards Lake Pleasant @1245 to pick up the MTR enroute to targets in R-2310. Anyone be up in the area?

Too cool!

If it's not classified, what altitude are you going to be at? If it's low enough, it might justify the drive.

It's 115 here in Maricopa County so it better be LOOOOOOOOW!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Too cool!

If it's not classified, what altitude are you going to be at? If it's low enough, it might justify the drive.

It's 115 here in Maricopa County so it better be LOOOOOOOOW!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I come through the VFR transition overhead Sky Harbor at 4500', up 32nd street to Squaw Peak, then overhead DVT to Lake Pleasant where I enter the route northeast-bound. I'll have 122.75 up on VHF.

MikeD
I will be overheading PHX at about 2pm local time, and although I will be at 410 I will give you a "shout" on 122.75.
I will be enroute from SNA to ORL.

Hey Mike,

I'll be working the pattern at FFZ - in the Champ - around 5:30 p.m. but that's well past your window.

But I will tune my scanner (have one on my desk here at work - and I work right next to SDL) to 122.75 at 1245. What callsign do you guys use (or can you divulge that?).

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike,

I'll be working the pattern at FFZ - in the Champ - around 5:30 p.m. but that's well past your window.

But I will tune my scanner (have one on my desk here at work - and I work right next to SDL) to 122.75 at 1245. What callsign do you guys use (or can you divulge that?).

[/ QUOTE ]

My flight callsign is Airwar.

[ QUOTE ]
Two A-10's just flew right by my house!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

The Scanners still quiet as a church mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your cross-streets? I was about 15 minutes late due to takeoff time and wasn't able to push to the VHF freq cause PHX approach kept me for a little longer than normal. Ended up crossing PHX about the 1305 timeframe.

Had my scanner on ... just heard a few PanAm/WW guys out in the practice area.

Was it a good flight?

Did the good guys win, MikeD? Or did some of those ascot-wearing "viper" guys from Luke try to ruin your day?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What's your cross-streets? I was about 15 minutes late due to takeoff time and wasn't able to push to the VHF freq cause PHX approach kept me for a little longer than normal. Ended up crossing PHX about the 1305 timeframe.

[/ QUOTE ]
48th and Warner (South of Phoenix in Ahwatukee)
It looked like you were just entering the transition, going North paralleI and to the west of I-10. I live next to one of those golf courses.

So were you lead? The other A-10 looked to be off at the leads 7.

Pretty cool though! I was browsing JC and glanced out the window and there you were!
shocked.gif
I'm lucky I didn't miss you as you weren't especially loud.

Damn, dude...surfing JC from Life Support? Before debrief? Your post is less than 2 hrs after your overflight of PHX!
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, dude...surfing JC from Life Support? Before debrief? Your post is less than 2 hrs after your overflight of PHX!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, short debrief. She's an experienced wingman.

The fight went OK. Hit our targets alright with no opposition from the air, and minimal ground opposition. Probably say a few vehicles assessed as destroyed with a number assessed as damaged, conservatively. #2 was having a rather good day, she provided good viz, cover, and firepower throughout the day.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
48th and Warner (South of Phoenix in Ahwatukee)
It looked like you were just entering the transition, going North paralleI and to the west of I-10. I live next to one of those golf courses.

So were you lead? The other A-10 looked to be off at the leads 7.

Pretty cool though! I was browsing JC and glanced out the window and there you were!
shocked.gif
I'm lucky I didn't miss you as you weren't especially loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I was in the lead. My #2, she was in combat spread, left side, as we came up the west side of I-10 from Firebird Lake over PHX to Squaw (Piestawa, I guess) Peak. Always neat to tool over downtown PHX at 4500', even though we're pretty much required to maintain standard formation.

[ QUOTE ]
Had my scanner on ... just heard a few PanAm/WW guys out in the practice area.

Was it a good flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

God was it painful listening to some of the people on VHF....long, drawn out calls with lots of "uh , uh....."; keying the mike prior to knowing what you want to say. Don't think any were PanAm planes, since I think they use the PanAm callsign, but other planes using their normal callsigns.

One went (almost verbatim): "Uhhhhhh.....northwest area....uhhh....traffic in the northwest area.....Cessna 1234 [whatever the c/s was] is outbound on the Phoenix....uhhhhhh..........334....no. uhh...336 radial..at ......(thinking with mike keyed)....15 DME......climbing past...uhh......3 thousand 8 hundred for 4 thousand....uhhhh....any other traffic in the area please advise......."

Almost a 15 second transmission that was painful to hear. Made my 3 traffic calls and pressed on my way. If it's a new student, oh well, it happens. If it's an experienced person, well........

Traffic was fairly light around the PHX area although viz somewhat sucked with the dust in the air.

[ QUOTE ]
If it's an experienced person, well........

[/ QUOTE ]

And all too often it is.
confused.gif

I try to do my part to get my students to communicate effectively, and for the most part, they do pretty good. Actually, I "borrowed" your C3 concept with regards to radio comms (hope you don't mind
grin.gif
), and teach that to my students when they start doing radio work. I also point out people who have atrocious comms to my students as an example of what NOT to do. Might as well learn from 'em, right?

[ QUOTE ]
You ever get to buzz Paradise Valley?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Came over Camelback mountain....I know....slightly off course.
cool.gif

Back