anyone flying over PHX tomorrow?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's an experienced person, well........

[/ QUOTE ]

And all too often it is.
confused.gif

I try to do my part to get my students to communicate effectively, and for the most part, they do pretty good. Actually, I "borrowed" your C3 concept with regards to radio comms (hope you don't mind
grin.gif
), and teach that to my students when they start doing radio work. I also point out people who have atrocious comms to my students as an example of what NOT to do. Might as well learn from 'em, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo at all. Borrow anything of mine you want, I throw my experiences/ideas out there for all to garner whatever they like from it, use it to benefit themselves, or completely ignore it if they want.

I'll post my good experiences/knowlege as well as my screwups. One screwup that makes me laugh was when I passed my Private checkride back in 1987. I was so excited after landing that instead of following the taxi lines in the parking area, I simply began taxiing across them (empty) to my parking spot. To where the examiner says "What are you doing? Get back on the lines. What do you think this is? The K-Mart parking lot?"

If an idea/concept I've posted works for you, then that just makes my time creating the post worthwhile.

I agree on the radios though. It's annoying as hell, not to mention taking up air time when someone may just have something important to interject at that moment.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Had my scanner on ... just heard a few PanAm/WW guys out in the practice area.

Was it a good flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

God was it painful listening to some of the people on VHF....long, drawn out calls with lots of "uh , uh....."; keying the mike prior to knowing what you want to say. Don't think any were PanAm planes, since I think they use the PanAm callsign, but other planes using their normal callsigns.

One went (almost verbatim): "Uhhhhhh.....northwest area....uhhh....traffic in the northwest area.....Cessna 1234 [whatever the c/s was] is outbound on the Phoenix....uhhhhhh..........334....no. uhh...336 radial..at ......(thinking with mike keyed)....15 DME......climbing past...uhh......3 thousand 8 hundred for 4 thousand....uhhhh....any other traffic in the area please advise......."

Almost a 15 second transmission that was painful to hear. Made my 3 traffic calls and pressed on my way. If it's a new student, oh well, it happens. If it's an experienced person, well........

Traffic was fairly light around the PHX area although viz somewhat sucked with the dust in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to my world. It's worse when people are chatting back and forth about their climb rates on the frequency. Another time some idiot kept whispering on the frequency and thought it was funny. Another time several pilots kept saying "Huge" on the frequency. Must have been an inside joke or something. Luckily I've found some good spots in the practice area, where people don't usually fly and won't crash into me. Fly safe!

One more thing too while we're on the subject, I really hate it when pilots in the practice area proudly say, "all aircraft in the area please advise." It just kind of makes you sound like you're superpilot and everybody needs to immediately tell you where they're at. (and sometimes they do and that ties up the frequency for five minutes) Besides, that's not really necessary to say is it? hopefully if I give my position and altitude someone else will already know to advise so we both don't end up hurtling to the earth in a ball of flame. Damn it.

I'll usually make my first call to a CTAF with something like "Bay City traffic Archer 71X 5 miles east entering the downwind 5 any traffic in the area please advise Bay City traffic." I can get that out in maybe 6 seconds and let's people know what's going on. I guess I can get away without saying any traffic in the area please advise, but when I hear that on the frequency it gets me listening and quickly at that. Follow that with the airport name and now I know if I have someone else trying to enter the pattern I'm at.

My big thing is guys that talk really slowly. I like to get things out as fast as possible and get on with the show. My instructor is into long drawn out transmissions and I hate it. She actually tells me to talk slower to ATC because they'll never understand me, but I have yet to have a problem. I talk with Detroit approach more than anyone else these days, and if I'm not quick they get mad and quickly at that.

But I hate CTAF's/unicom's. It's a giant unorganized piece of pilots not knowing what in the heck they're supposed to say and stepping on each other constantly. I prefer being in the IFR system and talking with ATC much more. Things are more organized and work a lot smoother.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to my world. It's worse when people are chatting back and forth about their climb rates on the frequency. Another time some idiot kept whispering on the frequency and thought it was funny. Another time several pilots kept saying "Huge" on the frequency. Must have been an inside joke or something. Luckily I've found some good spots in the practice area, where people don't usually fly and won't crash into me. Fly safe!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I felt your pain, but that frequency was terrible! The future torchbearers of our fleets.................great. Jackasses.

And John, fully agree with you on CTAF, you'd think most of those freqs are someone's personal cellphone. "Cessna 123 is left downwind"; "Piper 456 is 6 miles to the west, airport advisories please"; "Oh hey Bob! How's it going? I'm just on right downwind here......................blah, blah, blah."

[ QUOTE ]
And John, fully agree with you on CTAF, you'd think most of those freqs are someone's personal cellphone. "Cessna 123 is left downwind"; "Piper 456 is 6 miles to the west, airport advisories please"; "Oh hey Bob! How's it going? I'm just on right downwind here......................blah, blah, blah."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be happy they're speaking English! Here near Lisbon at the uncontrolled fields about 90% of the communications on the CTAF are in Portuguese. I was out with an instructor, getting to know the area and I felt very uncomfortable when I knew there were position reports being given but I didn't understand them. I looked over to him for help but when I go alone I'll have to fend for myself. So I'm going to try to learn some aviation Portuguese quickly so I at least understand basic position reports. Most VFR pilots speak enough English to say the basics but I don't want to count on it!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but 122.75 is an air-to-air freq. It's not for use only by aircraft in the NW practice area. If someone wants to use it to compare groundspeeds and climb rates, or find out what Bob had for dinner that’s their prerogative. Now CTAF is different, they should keep it professional and stick to the suggestions in the AIM on a CTAF freq.

[ QUOTE ]
[
Yeah, but 122.75 is an air-to-air freq. It's not for use only by aircraft in the NW practice area. If someone wants to use it to compare groundspeeds and climb rates, or find out what Bob had for dinner that’s their prerogative. Now CTAF is different, they should keep it professional and stick to the suggestions in the AIM on a CTAF freq.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, I think that some should take a little pride in their comm, and dispense with the 15 second stuttering transmissions that say nothing, and treating it like a personal cellphone.

I was going from Bisbee to Glendale a few months back and a very obnoxious (obviously older) gentleman decided to have a wonderful disertation with Tucson App. All while they were in the middle of trying to prevent my little bird from getting drilled by an Airbus. It was truly lovely. Even when they told him to stand by, he just kept on rambling.

Fortunately, the A320 is large enough that I was able to see and avoid, but it was very frustrating.....not to mention dangerous.

It wasn't 23 Julie was it? Anybody else ever heard this pilot flying around the Phoenix Valley. The guy sounds like a circus clown! Instead of repeating back cleared to land, he triumphantly says, "23 Julie, HEEEERRE I COMEE!!!"

Agghhhh!!!! You people at Deer Valley know what I'm talking about. I think he's based out of there.

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't 23 Julie was it? Anybody else ever heard this pilot flying around the Phoenix Valley. The guy sounds like a circus clown! Instead of repeating back cleared to land, he triumphantly says, "23 Julie, HEEEERRE I COMEE!!!"

Agghhhh!!!! You people at Deer Valley know what I'm talking about. I think he's based out of there.

[/ QUOTE ]

In need of an ass-woopin'. Man that would chap my hide to hear crap like that.

Flying twice today. Low level x 2

First mission to Gila Bend bombing range for a CAS sortie.

Second mission amd coming through PHX again at @1215 in order to pick up the usual MTR for a first-run interdiction. Anyone be around today airborne or otherwise?

[ QUOTE ]
Flying twice today. Low level x 2

First mission to Gila Bend bombing range for a CAS sortie.

Second mission amd coming through PHX again at @1215 in order to pick up the usual MTR for a first-run interdiction. Anyone be around today airborne or otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sure, I'm going to be in the AAA battery down in an undisclosed position waiting for ya along the MTR!
smile.gif

I'm actually typing this from the commuter hotel in DFW.

[ QUOTE ]
[
Oh sure, I'm going to be in the AAA battery down in an undisclosed position waiting for ya along the MTR!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Give me something to do.

Actually, I'm waiting for the day I can come up on your VHF and chat with you while we're in our respective planes.

Now That'd be cool.

....maybe even form up for a while...naw not a good idea come to think of it. You'd have to drop flaps/slats for me to keep up, and all the pax would think they're minutes from dying.....
laugh.gif

For my .02. If you really want to know what the most useless radio calls are. I shall tell you. In addition, of course, to those that have already been mentioned, the most annoying are the calls from someone

XXX traffic Piper XXX is inbound on the vor approach for 13.

Now, just what has been accomplished with that call? Not a darn thing. I can surmise because of experience that the A/C is somewhere within 8-15 miles of the airport to the northwest and is most likely somewhere around 2000ft. [I hope]

A much better call would be; XXX traffic Piper XXX 5 northwest at 2000 inbound to 13 XXX traffic.

Un fortunately, 90% of the pilots seam to think that everyone should know exactly where on the vor approach they are and their position from the airport.

And to forestall the flames, yes I am instrument rated but in all my flying, other than getting the ticket and keeping current I have made only 2 actual approaches.

Back