Anyone ever done it?

I am 22 yrs. old and still living at home. Now that I have found my career choice, I want to achieve my goals as fast as possible. I want to work for a major some day and need a four year degree to get there. I already have almost 50 credits at penn-state and want to transfer them to an online university to finish out a Bachelors degree.

The trouble is, I want to be able to work, finish my degree, and work toward my private pilot license at the same time. My parents seem to think that I should ignore the pilot license for now and just go for the degree. I tell them that I want to start now with my private and slowly obtain it throughout the course of obtaining my degree. They still don't understand though.

Is my idea crazy? I really want to begin flying now. I love it. I need some input from anyone who has done this or similar things. I am also considering moving out, since I am 22 and all, and trying to follow the same course. I already have the money to pay for the private license. From experience would I be better off waiting, doing it at home, or could I possibly swing it on my own?

Thanks for the input.
grin.gif

Well I am probably the last person that should give advice on this but here's what I think.

A)Stay with your parents as long as you can stand it. It's probably free, and the more you can save, even if it sucks for a while, the better.

B)I persoanlly would concentrate on flying and work on my degree online, then finish up when the flight training is done. The sooner you get in the pools of people waiting for flight jobs the better, it seems. I am sure lots of people will let me know if I am wrong.
smile.gif

Hey,

Last semester I was a busy girl. I went to college as a full time student, worked part-time, finished off my ppl and still managed to enjoy my last semester of school. Now let me clarify the extent of each activity - I took 16 credits (by choice, not to fulfill requirements); at times I worked more than 30 hours a week; and I got my ppl in about 6mths from zero time to checkride. Basically, the highlights of my week were flying and everything else was just a chore to get done when I wasnt flying. Looking back, I certainly had some rough moments, but it was certainly my best semester.

Happy Flying!

Wow Sky Girl!

You certainly were busy. That is alot of work to do. You remind me of my sister. She used to do the same thing. Work 25-30 hrs a week, take 16-18 credits..... Her major is nursing. Are you going for a professional flying career? Cool if you are.
cool.gif

Anyway
Thanks for the info.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A)Stay with your parents as long as you can stand it. It's probably free, and the more you can save, even if it sucks for a while, the better.

B)I persoanlly would concentrate on flying and work on my degree online, then finish up when the flight training is done. The sooner you get in the pools of people waiting for flight jobs the better, it seems. I am sure lots of people will let me know if I am wrong.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of that, I think thats good advice.

[ QUOTE ]
I am 22 yrs. old and still living at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
. I already have almost 50 credits at penn-state and want to transfer them to an online university to finish out a Bachelors degree.

The trouble is, I want to be able to work, finish my degree, and work toward my private pilot license at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing you should do, is learn to use your Resources a little better

I made some bad decisions along the way, and at the age of 23 i had to move home, drop out of virginia tech, and have acl surgery. I moved back home and went to community college, worked 50 hours a week, and still managed to workout and enjoy bits of life. I worked in a kitchen at an outback and saved every penny. My parents were cool and supportive and when i started flying they were behind me all the way. If I were you I would get it in your head that it is not going to be easy., but is totally do-able. make the sacrifices now and the rewards will come later. i am now a graduate of a 4 year university, and am a ppl, almost done with instrument rating. I have a good job and time and money to do what i want. if you want this bad enough, make a game plan, budget your time and money, do whats in your best interest as far as moving out goes and make sacrifices....you will be glad you did. let me know what you decide.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am 22 yrs. old and still living at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] With the economy like it is right now, 1/3 of all males move back home after college.

Scary statistic!

[ QUOTE ]
[With the economy like it is right now, 1/3 of all males move back home after college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I can see it now....

Last call and the HOT H O T H O T chick you have been dancing with all night says she wants go home with you tonight.

" YEAH BAYYYYBY!!! but you got to keep it quite, my parents are home."

I don't think it is the economy I think it is the kids being too lazy or resourceful. find a roommate, or start in a small apartment, be a f'n adult... take some responsibility for YOURSELF let mom and dad have some time along for petes sake.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I can see it now....

Last call and the HOT H O T H O T chick you have been dancing with all night says she wants go home with you tonight.

" YEAH BAYYYYBY!!! but you got to keep it quite, my parents are home."

I don't think it is the economy I think it is the kids being too lazy or resourceful. find a roommate, or start in a small apartment, be a f'n adult... take some responsibility for YOURSELF let mom and dad have some time along for petes sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to agree on this subject, but I was (emphasis on WAS) a representative of those remarks.

Growing up, I pretty much had everything easy - and didn't realize it - until I graduated college and struck out for my first job in the real world.

Found out QUICK that you have to:

a) be responsible
b) be an adult; and
c) work hard

I was none of the above. I was pretty much a TOTAL F-up... and it landed me back at home with the folks at age 26 because I had TOTALLY screwed up... everything. Finances. Credit. Friendships. Relationships.... you name it.

I had to laugh at Eagle's description of the hot girl scenario. Lived it!

And it was INCREDIBLY embarrassing. But, I had noone to blame but myself.

Fast forward to 12 years later. I've busted my ASS for the past decade+, got married to an INCREDIBLE woman. We own two cars, a house, got money in the bank, and we are putting me through flight training, then her through college.

COMPLETE 180 from where I had my life heading 12 years ago. It's all about growing up.

Good story, huh?
tongue.gif

R2F

I am 20 and live at home (even though I could easily afford to move out). I enjoy living at home as I get a long so well with my parents. I am planning on moving out in November as I think it is time to grow up and start looking after myself.

[ QUOTE ]
I am 20 and live at home (even though I could easily afford to move out). I enjoy living at home as I get a long so well with my parents. I am planning on moving out in November as I think it is time to grow up and start looking after myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey we are looking for a houseboy, do you do laundry and mow lawns?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you handy with garden tools? Me and the Mrs could use a fall landscape cleanup and we'll even throw in a Jumbo Jack with cheese if you do an exceptional job!
smile.gif

Or someone to do my Jepp revisions!

I started working on my private when I was 20, went to school full time, had a 30/week job, then went straight into the IFR then COMM and so forth. I also had a girlfriend full time. Some of you may know that is a job into itself! Time and $$$. It can be done. Be very determined. I always picture myself in six months to a year down then road and it helps me to focus and concentrate better.
When I was a student, gee I can't wait to be a private.

When I was a private, gee I can't wait to be Instrument rated.

When I was instrument rated, Gee I can't wait to get the commercial.

Then the multi, then the CFI. Etc Etc.
Now that I'm a CFI, gee I can't wait to be sitting right seat!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, no thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a shoe shine! I'll let ya drive Kristie's BMW!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you will need to bring your own gas tho...

[ QUOTE ]
you will need to bring your own gas tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.

Although I only waited 15 minutes to put gas in my Pontiacosaurus yesterday.

I ran that puppy almost bone dry, but left enough gas in it to get to the airport this afternoon if I had to.

Three days in the house and it was 100-plus degrees so I generally did nothing this week but surf the net and clean the house until the Mrs. got home with a car with gasoline.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, no thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief the British do not make good domestic staff!

[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to popular belief the British do not make good domestic staff!

[/ QUOTE ]

But I've always wanted to have a cacausian butler!
smile.gif
Aww, come on, please Iain! You've even got a British accent!

I can even get you a car and you can play "Magnum P.I." when you're not cleaning the travertine floor!
smile.gif

Back