Anyone Else IFOD January?

Just thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone joined that would be attending IFOD in the January 8th class....

Less than a week to go before I start the course. I feel pretty good about all the pre-study work I've done. I know the regs very well now, and am going to put a lot of focus into weather this last week before the class starts.

I'll be interested to see how the first week goes because of all the mock testing that I've been told that goes on.

Good luck in your class!

Helpful hint...it gets very cold in the class room. There were times that we sat with our hoodies on because it was so cold!

Find someone the first day that you can study with. This will be helpful especially during the flight planning portion because you will have questions.

Not very many fast food restaurants around except whataburger (it's always packed). Either pack it or plan to eat in the little cafe that is located on the first floor. The cafe has good food but the line gets long and generally only one person working so you will find yourself eating in class. If you are a coffee drinker Mark will have coffee made most of the day.

You will have a test starting on Tuesday. It will come from the study questions (ATP study guide book). Make sure you look in the front of this book and cross the sections out that you won't be needing. I studied a lot that I didn't need. You don't have time to be learning things that you don't need. My big advise since you have already started studying is spend the $75 and get the Sheppard Air course. You will get exposed to many more questions that will show up on the ADX written.

Again, Good luck in class!

If you have a car and can drive it to Irving, do so. A car will open up many more options for food than just whataburger. Belt line in Irving is only a 5 minute drive and there are numerous restaurants to quickly get good food at.

Your fellow students are both your competition and possible connections for dispatch jobs. Always keep the big picture in mind. Choose your friends wisely. Many of the examiners that they use for the practical work at airlines and one even does the hiring for a major airline. It is important to try to make a good impression of them as it can help your chances of getting hired.

Good luck in your class!

Helpful hint...it gets very cold in the class room. There were times that we sat with our hoodies on because it was so cold!

Find someone the first day that you can study with. This will be helpful especially during the flight planning portion because you will have questions.

Not very many fast food restaurants around except whataburger (it's always packed). Either pack it or plan to eat in the little cafe that is located on the first floor. The cafe has good food but the line gets long and generally only one person working so you will find yourself eating in class. If you are a coffee drinker Mark will have coffee made most of the day.

You will have a test starting on Tuesday. It will come from the study questions (ATP study guide book). Make sure you look in the front of this book and cross the sections out that you won't be needing. I studied a lot that I didn't need. You don't have time to be learning things that you don't need. My big advise since you have already started studying is spend the $75 and get the Sheppard Air course. You will get exposed to many more questions that will show up on the ADX written.

Again, Good luck in class!

Thanks for the helpful hints. I almost bought the SheppardAir course but wanted to see how the first week went since I already had the ASA book and purchased a video series from Kings Schools.

I’ll give it another look since you (and a couple others) have mentioned it again.

If you have a car and can drive it to Irving, do so. A car will open up many more options for food than just whataburger. Belt line in Irving is only a 5 minute drive and there are numerous restaurants to quickly get good food at.

Your fellow students are both your competition and possible connections for dispatch jobs. Always keep the big picture in mind. Choose your friends wisely. Many of the examiners that they use for the practical work at airlines and one even does the hiring for a major airline. It is important to try to make a good impression of them as it can help your chances of getting hired.

Thanks. I do have a car as I live about 25 minutes away from IFOD. That also means I can take my lunch most days!

Thanks for the helpful hints. I almost bought the SheppardAir course but wanted to see how the first week went since I already had the ASA book and purchased a video series from Kings Schools.

I’ll give it another look since you (and a couple others) have mentioned it again.
Sheppard Air's information is up to date. When a new question is added your book won't have it. You get exposed to a lot more information which is helpful. Also, there were several questions that were being marked wrong on the ADX which were actually the right answer. They will give you a heads up on these! Just remember the better you do on the written the easier time you will have in the oral. There were people in my class that just wanted to make the passing "70". Examiners will ask you questions about the ones you missed! Don't make it harder on yourself!

You will learn alot over the next 5 weeks. Plan to do nothing else except study. There will be times that you need a mental break from the course work. Rest and get back to it!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Just some advice I would strongly recommend you don't give any more personal information on this forum. Saying where and exactly when you start school is already a lot of information in such a small industry. When you post where and when you get your first job your company will know exactly who you are on here. We've already seen one dispatcher on here get fired for posting as himself.

Just some advice I would strongly recommend you don't give any more personal information on this forum. Saying where and exactly when you start school is already a lot of information in such a small industry. When you post where and when you get your first job your company will know exactly who you are on here. We've already seen one dispatcher on here get fired for posting as himself.
You’re right. I’ll be more careful. Thanks my friend.

Didn't they get fired first then post about it as themselves?

No need to expound. Anonymity is a virtue in this setting considering the size of the dispatch community and the range of people posting/monitoring this website. In an industry where drawing too much negative attention to yourself can result in a de-facto blacklist, it's best to remain anonymous and let your reputation as a competent dispatcher do the talking.

No need to expound. Anonymity is a virtue in this setting considering the size of the dispatch community and the range of people posting/monitoring this website. In an industry where drawing too much negative attention to yourself can result in a de-facto blacklist, it's best to remain anonymous and let your reputation as a competent dispatcher do the talking.

Yeah definitely wouldn’t want to blow it before you even get a chance to work with people face to face.

Spinning my wheels while waiting for class to start!

I feel like I've prepared well and look forward to getting to ask questions. The ASA book that has the questions really only gives you enough information on subjects to answer their questions. I find myself wanting to know more! Monday can't come fast enough!

Spinning my wheels while waiting for class to start!

I feel like I've prepared well and look forward to getting to ask questions. The ASA book that has the questions really only gives you enough information on subjects to answer their questions. I find myself wanting to know more! Monday can't come fast enough!

Ask away.

When you think you know things, you still wont know a fraction of it.

Not knowing isn't bad, the point is to keep learning. And you always will. I often eavesdrop on problems my neighbors are having so I can have context when I eventually deal with the same issues.

Ask away.

When you think you know things, you still wont know a fraction of it.

Not knowing isn't bad, the point is to keep learning. And you always will. I often eavesdrop on problems my neighbors are having so I can have context when I eventually deal with the same issues.

I've had a chance to pick the brains of the people that have been around forever (in my current job) and I've come to love it.

I've got this renewed thirst for knowledge that I haven't had since I graduated HS and I'm loving it. I'm all in.

Ears open and mouth shut, just like my Dad always told me.

I've had a chance to pick the brains of the people that have been around forever (in my current job) and I've come to love it.

I've got this renewed thirst for knowledge that I haven't had since I graduated HS and I'm loving it. I'm all in.

Ears open and mouth shut, just like my Dad always told me.

That's the right attitude.

Once you figure out your passion, it isn't work. It becomes fun, even easy.

You will never know it all, but you want to know it all.

Good luck in your class!

Seconded on this. Its really cold in there!

Also seconded. I was out of state and we created a group of 4-5 students to study at the local hotel that some of the students were at. Really helped bring up the scores.

Grab the $9.99 ASA companion ATP app, we all did and quizzed ourselves and each other on it daily. Again, very helpful plus cheap. Another student swore by Shepard Air too.

Seconded on this. Its really cold in there!

Also seconded. I was out of state and we created a group of 4-5 students to study at the local hotel that some of the students were at. Really helped bring up the scores.

Grab the $9.99 ASA companion ATP app, we all did and quizzed ourselves and each other on it daily. Again, very helpful plus cheap. Another student swore by Shepard Air too.
Thanks! I’ve got the app and have been using it! Will bring a jacket and will find study buddies!

They aren’t kidding when they say information will be flying at you right off the bat! They also make it clear that there is no hiding in this course. Everyone is expected to put out. I like that.

Will be studying Regs hard tonight!

Back