Anyone else holding out for academy date past the New Year?

Re: Anyone else holding out for academy date past the New Ye

I actually looked that up :eek:

They're a little bit cooler than I would have expected, but definitely warmer than what I'm used to (and you too if you're from Baltimore)... oh and less snow :)

They don't look like they're much cooler than what I'm used to here in Atlanta, maybe 4-5 degrees cooler on average. But they actually get about 9-10 inches of snow in a winter, we MIGHT have seen that much snow in 10 years.

I agree it does help you relieve stress!:D

I have to say, there is nothing like taking your books/old tests out after a hard class/test to a firing range and hanging them up so that you can go "kill some paper". At least for me, it is worth a whole lot more then selling them back...... What a great way to close out a semester of school.....:bandit:

ANd back on to topic. I am holding out until at least the middle of January, maybe even later. That gives me more time to take a few masters classes and hopefully if I play my cards right, I can get out of my lease scott free by then....

...how bad are the winters in OKC?
theres really no answer to that question...as a native of the state i can tell you it does no good to look it up. if you are here anytime between oct-april be prepared for anything from 0-70 degree weather. ive seen snow in april and worn shorts in december.

How about tornadoes?

I've from CA so I don't know much about them.

ive never seen one....EVER. the weather does get pretty crazy but that doesnt happen till april/may. the local news stations are really good about covering severe weather. im more afraid of an earthquake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado Voila.. Tornado informed :)

lol but yeah... if they call me and tell me show up tomorrow. I'm there. Of course.. I haven't had my interview yet, so that might be abit odd. I was curious about just how many tornados one might expect to, plus I've lived in Florida all my life, what is this Snow stuff you speak of? ;) I am curious to see how things change in thes now though lol.. I have a little toyota and I'm hoping it will be snow worthy for driving. It's FWD so that should be helpful :)

They don't look like they're much cooler than what I'm used to here in Atlanta, maybe 4-5 degrees cooler on average. But they actually get about 9-10 inches of snow in a winter, we MIGHT have seen that much snow in 10 years.

The snow thing is fine... I looked up my city and we apparently get an average of 27 inches in a winter, so 9-10 is great :)

record low of -8F? :laff: something tells me that after living in northern michigan, north dakota, and new hampshire i'm going to be loving it :D
humidity sucks though.

The snow thing is fine... I looked up my city and we apparently get an average of 27 inches in a winter, so 9-10 is great :)

This is going to be interesting....In Vegas we only get on average 1" of snow per year. And let me tell you if you blink you'll miss it. Who is going to volunteer to help a girl out when she is clueless and stuck in the snow???? Guess I will need to buy one of those Scraper things for the windows...Oh and a coat!!!! :laff:

If you've never driven on ice or snow before, three words...slow way down....and e-brake it around the corners (j/k). Can't tell you how many hundreds of vehicles/accidents I've seen rolled over in the median of the Richardson Hwy in AK on an extremely cold winter day. Losing control of your vehicle on ice is one of the scariest feelings.

This is going to be interesting....In Vegas we only get on average 1" of snow per year. And let me tell you if you blink you'll miss it. Who is going to volunteer to help a girl out when she is clueless and stuck in the snow???? Guess I will need to buy one of those Scraper things for the windows...Oh and a coat!!!! :laff:

snow isn't what I'd be worried about, it's the fall/spring freezing rain or ice storms they can get. Depending where you live I'm sure you can carpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado Voila.. Tornado informed :)

lol but yeah... if they call me and tell me show up tomorrow. I'm there. Of course.. I haven't had my interview yet, so that might be abit odd. I was curious about just how many tornados one might expect to, plus I've lived in Florida all my life, what is this Snow stuff you speak of? ;) I am curious to see how things change in thes now though lol.. I have a little toyota and I'm hoping it will be snow worthy for driving. It's FWD so that should be helpful :)

Well being a Cleveland native in the snow belt of Ohio, you will be fine with your FWD Toyota. I have driven two FWD Toyota's in heavy snows, and the only thing you have to watch for is going up hills and taking corners too fast.

Also just a recommendation to anyone who really hasn't driven in snow, when it does happen, take your car to an empty parking lot, and practice turning with your e-brake... it can save you from slamming curbs if you know how to use it correctly.

Also just a recommendation to anyone who really hasn't driven in snow, when it does happen, take your car to an empty parking lot, and practice turning with your e-brake... it can save you from slamming curbs if you know how to use it correctly.

i agree 100%. I've been living in the Chicago area for so long that my e-brake is my best friend.

if any of you guys live in the same complex as me and the roomie you're welcome to ride share in my jeep on snow days, or any day really. I grew up in MT and have lived in MT, ND, OR and CO so snow ain't no thang. big ice storms on the other hand....
here's a pic of winter 2 years ago and my old beater cherokee

snow4.jpg

Ill tell you one thing, I'll take winter in OK over summer ANY freaking day. humidity sucks.

if you add all of the snow that i have seen in my life, it wouldn't be a quarter of that.

that winter sucked. that was one storm.

this past winter we had a point where we had 2 feet of snow down on the ground. My college was shut down not because the roads were not clear, but due to the parking lots being so piled and people not being able to leave parking lots without getting stuck.

Also a year before that on Valentines day we had 2.5 feet of snow and the college shut down for the day.

Back