Anyone download approach plates on a Kindle?

http://www.pdfplates.com/

This place has plates that are supposed to work on the Kindle DX. They are NACO though. I haven't tried it since I don't have a kindle but it would be worth the shot if I did.

Don't know if you can get digital jepps that would work.

http://www.pdfplates.com/

This place has plates that are supposed to work on the Kindle DX. They are NACO though. I haven't tried it since I don't have a kindle but it would be worth the shot if I did.

Don't know if you can get digital jepps that would work.
Yeah, I see that there are a few web sites that do the NACO, but I'm trying to get our ferry kit into a smaller bag.

I've got a PRS-505 that I run www.readerplates.com on. Works really well, I think. If you aren't comfortable reading small font, it might be a little bit of an inconvience. I'd recomend the lighted front plate for the PRS-505, just because it seems to magnify a little bit, plus a light for at night.

What else do you want to know?

How is it for uploading the plates (speed) what about scrolling from one approach to another? I read that it's 9.95/month for readerplates, is that full US NACO approach plates? Thanks.

How is it for uploading the plates (speed) what about scrolling from one approach to another? I read that it's 9.95/month for readerplates, is that full US NACO approach plates? Thanks.

By uploading, do you mean physically putting them on the reader, or pulling them up to view on the reader? In any case, it takes me about 3 hours to get the whole thing downloaded, last time I looked, its like 1.7 GB of data. From power up on the unit, you can be to any chart in probably no more than 30 seconds. If you have it pulled up to the state/city prior to needing a specific chart, its about 10 seconds to get the chart.

9.95/month gets you the full US approach plates, as well as the A/FD's (which is new within the last couple of months). Its all formatted well, I think, which is why I'm willing to pay for it. Its broken down into states, and then from there, into city's. A lot of states have more than one booklet, with some having as many as 6 or 7 individual books.

That looks pretty cool! If I ever get around to finishing my CSEL and getting all my Eye's I'd invest in one.

Kindle DX a lot of people are doing it, regular Kindle not so much
Have you used the DX for the same? Just in time for my birthday!!!

Back to the Sony, what is the size of the unit compared to the kindle? Are the plates about the same size as the leaflets?

Have you used the DX for the same? Just in time for my birthday!!!

Back to the Sony, what is the size of the unit compared to the kindle? Are the plates about the same size as the leaflets?

The screen is probably about 1/2 the size of NACO charts, maybe a little bigger, but defiantly no more than 2/3 of the size of a NACO chart. That said, you have the option to zoom in on the charts, which double their size. While zoomed, you can only see half of the chart. I'd try to find a store to go look at the size of the Sony, to see if it is what you really want.

So cool. Is there any program that has Jepps out there for the Kindle?

JeppsView can print to PDFs. I have a student who was using it. While it's mostly ok, there is no easy way to browse through the plates or go to a specific one - you can only do 'go to page'. So you either need to print each airport to a separate PDF, which takes time, or spend time in the airplane to find the correct plate.

So cool. Is there any program that has Jepps out there for the Kindle?

Not that I know of. Plus, it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, for sure. I'm ok with flying NOS/NACO charts for $9.99 a month, for the whole country + A/FD's. I carry a Jepp book for Florida, that I update like every 6 months or so for backup, just in case.

This is starting to look intriguing. I've got my Jepp paper update bill- about $400. For that much I can get the entire country on a tablet. I'm intrigued also by the B&N one that is coming out in November... but am unsure if I want to fly the -A model of anything (okay, I flew the -A model Blackhawk back when there was no "A" model).

I have the Kindle DX and it is awesome, the only drawback I would say is how slow it is to download the entire country.

Back