Anyone doing this?

What an ignorant and retarded thing to say. If you are immature and can't exhibit some self control then yeah you will probably have an affair. You can be objective about it all you want but it is a subjective issue.

I won't have an affair because no one would want to with me :crazy:

I see that a lot of you all's fathers did ATC as a career, and you recognize how great a sacrifice he made for the family's overall life. I wonder what about the flip side. As a single woman who plans on having a family in the near future, is this really a sacrifice I can make. I haven't really heard about any female ATCs that started a family after starting this career, at least not from these forums. How does that really work out? I wanna try and get some first-hand opinion.

I see that a lot of you all's fathers did ATC as a career, and you recognize how great a sacrifice he made for the family's overall life. I wonder what about the flip side. As a single woman who plans on having a family in the near future, is this really a sacrifice I can make. I haven't really heard about any female ATCs that started a family after starting this career, at least not from these forums. How does that really work out? I wanna try and get some first-hand opinion.

May friend that I went to school with, she is now at SoCal, was single all the way until she got down there, she bought a home in Oceanside, I think. And she meet and married another controller from a tower in the San Diego area. And they where told that it isn't uncommon for that to happen. So hun, you would not be the only one going to OKC that is single, I am sure there are some other single women going.

:hiya: I'd like to see some first-hand opinions of this too... it's nice to see another female in the same position as me. I'm only 22, so I'm not planning on starting a family any time soon, but it'd be nice to know that I'm not totally giving that up. I asked this same question when I first joined the forum, but no one was able to give me an answer :rolleyes:

See, this is how they get you. Ladies make a very cohesive time line based plan... the only thing missing is a man. They hunt willing men like a Lion hunts an Elk. Then they say their "I Dos" and that is what sets off the stop watch of 'the plan'. Before you know it, you're stuck!

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

See, this is how they get you. Ladies make a very cohesive time line based plan... the only thing missing is a man. They hunt willing men like a Lion hunts an Elk. Then they say their "I Dos" and that is what sets off the stop watch of 'the plan'. Before you know it, you're stuck!

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Damn! You found the secret source of our power :panic:

LOL...yeah Boomer you got it down. We have to have a plan...that's just how we operate. And Sunburn, I know I won't be the only single woman down in OKC, but I wonder about the dynamics of this career and starting a family in the future. Obviously a man doesn't have to take months off from their job if their wife is pregnant. Would I have the same job security and opportunities as a man would in this career? Cause I know I wanna start a family in the next 5 years. I'm 24 btw.

LOL...yeah Boomer you got it down. We have to have a plan...that's just how we operate. And Sunburn, I know I won't be the only single woman down in OKC, but I wonder about the dynamics of this career and starting a family in the future. Obviously a man doesn't have to take months off from their job if their wife is pregnant. Would I have the same job security and opportunities as a man would in this career? Cause I know I wanna start a family in the next 5 years. I'm 24 btw.
yes you would have the same job opportunities and security as a man, otherwise you would face sexual discrimination, which is against the law

yes you would have the same job opportunities and security as a man, otherwise you would face sexual discrimination, which is against the law

Let's ask the judge...

JudgeJudyShutUp.jpg

Well everyone knows that it's against the law, but it doesn't stop it from happening.

Are there any female controllers that post here that have families? I just really wanna know how tough it is to have a family and kids while also maintaining the hectic schedule and life of an ATC.

Well everyone knows that it's against the law, but it doesn't stop it from happening.

Are there any female controllers that post here that have families? I just really wanna know how tough it is to have a family and kids while also maintaining the hectic schedule and life of an ATC.

I am not a female, but I do know woman that are married w/ kids that have been in the field for almost 20 years. The first thing they will tell you is that you have to be willing to miss out on school recital, plays, soccer games, birthdays, and possibly your childrens first words. Not sure about the 9 months of pregnancy and shortly after.

Have we learned nothing from our early Tele watching days?

You take the good, you take the bad
You take them both and there you have...

cast1984b.jpg

I'm a young mom trying to make a better life and future for me and my daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions about bringing a baby with you to OKC? It's not much of an option to leave her back home. Most of my family works and the ones that could watch her, I don't trust. Some advice would really be great.

Found this on the FAA web site.

[FONT=&quot]Is childcare provided? There is an onsite childcare facility with enrollment based on availability. The Launching Pad is open from 0630 to 1800, Monday through Friday. Their phone number is 405/954-4901. If there is no availability, or if you require childcare while attending evening courses, you may call Oklahoma Child Care Resource and Referral Association, Inc. at 405/525-3111. They offer a free service to help you find the right child care situation. [/FONT]

Here's the link. Its under FAQ
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/arc/programs/academy/student_services/

I went to Air Force tech school in Mississippi for ATC when my son was 3 months old. Then I came down to OKC when my daughter was 8 DAYS old. I miss them alot, but I have a great wife and she is holding up well. I'm glad I didn't bring them because it's alot easier to concentrate on learning the job.

It's not irresponsible to not bring your family. Having practically no distractions makes class easier in my opinion. I could go out and drink on the weekends, but I don't. I'm saving money by just chilling at my apartment and watching TV.

Back